Credit Card Fraud

I would also recommend First Direct, who were helpful and quick at sorting things out when my card was stolen, including making arrangements so that I could get money from a bank until the replacement arrived (which it did in a couple of days).

They are generally very helpful for banking full stop - the internet banking is very easy and convenient and their call centre staff are brilliant.

However, on the down side, I was put in an embarrassing situation when my card was declined in Somerfield in front of a whole queue of people. FD told me it had been stopped because there were "unusual transactions" on it - turned out they were all for restaurants in East Dulwich, where I live .... I mean, er, duh. I do go out occasionally :))

Whilst I am pleased they are on the ball (ish), they might have thought to ask me before stopping the card.....

I have just been on the phone to Egg who were fab given my new found unable to pay my credit card status! They have changed my billing cycle / payment date so that I wont be late with my payments and have left full notes on the account and advised to call back if that date (15th May) cant be met

A damn site better than my bank that's for sure ! Now just two weeks with no cash / access to money...........

Apparantly I can if I take ID and a statement......

My real difficulty is that I only keep enough money in my current account to cover bill payments and my spending money for the month, I transfer money from my Abbey esaver account to my current account at the end of each month to cover the following months expenditure. Here is where the problem lies........... because its an esaver account you have to make payments / transfer money online. You cannot do this from a branch or through telephone banking.

This system works fine until you cant go online :'(

My card was cloned & used on Sunday in Ghana x2, Egypt, USA, Spain & UK. Fortunately all except one transaction were declined. The only places I recall using my card is mainly in Somerfield & once in both Sainsbury's & Budgens. My card has never been out of my sight either. The only other place I've used it was in the hole in the wall cash machines (banks)

seanmlow Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have heard that - and that is the one i use on a

> regular basis.

>

>

> Scary.

>

> So much for the slogans by Maestro everywhere,

> that 'card is the new cash'.

Your card is their new cash, perhaps?

hmmm, I cant believe that my bank allowed transactions on the same day in Canada and South Africa but rejected my attempted ?40 payment for a watch battery - sounds like the Bank's need to be doing more if its so prevalent!

EDmummy Wrote:

> Got a call yesterday from my bank's fraud team. A clone of my card had been used in South African 10 minutes beforehand. Very quick detection but I think my card had already been flagged for possible fraud as I had an unrecognised cheque on my statement (may be legitimate but I cannot remember writing it). The only shops I have used have been big stores - Sainsburys, Woolworths, Boots etc., but I did have one transaction at Budgens. Anyone else who has had their card cloned used Budgens? Only cash machine used has been the one at Barclays on LL.

I received my replacement card today & checked my statement online & found something that just doesn't sit right.

I made a purchase in Budgens on the 14th & only went through today!!!!

Surely it doesn't take 10 days to process an in-store card payment!! Hmmmmmm :-S

I've been reading this thread with an increasing amount of wonder - so many people affected in one area in such a short space of time? Really quite scary.

I now have my own account to add: I went to get some cash out of the bank today and discovered my pin had been blocked. On phoning my branch I was told that I had entered an incorrect pin number five times in the last week. I know I haven't even used my debit card for four days and certainly haven't entered an incorrect pin. The bank's view is that someone has cloned my card, but only visually had sight of one side (so they don't have the CVV number on the back necessary to do the "not at point of sale" stuff overseas) and manually tried to take a note of my pin number as I've tapped it in. I do try to shield my pin, but it isn't always easy. The same incorrect pin was entered five times, two digits out from my actual pin. Needless to say it's now been changed.

I haven't used Budgens (I mostly use cash in smaller stores) but I did buy some petrol recently from a station I wouldn't normally use.

I've asked the bank to send me a new debit card, but have been told they need actual evidence of fraudulent use before they can do that, and that a pin change should be enough to secure it. Will remind them of that if someone does actually put something through my account...

That's ridiculous! Someone making a copy of your card and incorrectly submitting the pin isnt deemed as evidence! The problem is that if someone does put something through succesfully, although you will get your money back eventually, it takes time and is hassle and inconvenience!

I would suggest getting tough with your bank and telling them either they issue a new card (new numbers, not simply a replacement) or you will take your banking elsewhere!

If the banks were stricter on these cases they wouldnt occur so frequently.

Hi im newbie was recommend to this site as live in bellenden road area and just saw online that someone has cloned our debit card for barclays bank.

they however did not notify us we noticed it ourselves.

tesco metro believe must have got it cloned there to along with asda old kent road so beware,as both was at cash machines not the till.

so a lesson to check cash machines for cameras etc more carefully.

word of help change pin code reguraly as they cloned that aswell-

Hi,

Just a quickie to make you aware that the following businesses that have had incidents, so you may want to use cash as an alternative.

Texaco Garage - Grove Vale, East Dulwich

Budgens Convenience Store - Lordship Lane, East Dulwich

Costcutter/Jet Service Station - East Dulwich Road, East Dulwich

Tesco's (Metro outlet) - East Dulwich Road, East Dulwich

The way that some fraudsters obtain your pin number is by using a remote camera, they place it above the keyboard and read.When they start to get noticed the retrieve the camera and move on to the next hole in the wall. A simple tip is that if you sight anyone sitting in a car/van facing the machine,then do not use that machine. Always look above the keyboard for the camera, but do not remove it as they might get annoyed!

A remote camera needs a clear signal view and needs no more that 25 yards to obtain good recordable footage.

If you have had a problem and want to change banks, I would suggest the coop bank, they rang me at 23.00 and asked if I was in India, as transactions were tendered over the previous two - three hours. They limited my card to UK transactions for an hour to allow me to withdraw cash, on the understanding that as soon as I had withdrawn the money I would call them back to advise them. In a couple of day's I had a new card and pin number.

Another area that is sus is Peckham, literally all machines have been amended at some stage.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

A short update to my earlier post. Having reset my pin, I was telephoned by my bank today asking if I was currently in Streatham buying ?200+ of booze and cigarettes. As I plainly wasn't the transaction was declined and the two young men who were using a card in my name ran out of the shop. They have been caught on "reasonable quality" CCTV and my bank has said they will now refer this to the police. A new card is on its way to me.

I can also confirm that I have recently used one of the outlets LC describes above, although not taking cash out of a hole in the wall.

LibraCarr Wrote:

> Hi,

>

> Just a quickie to make you aware that the

> following businesses that have had incidents, so

> you may want to use cash as an alternative.

>

> Texaco Garage - Grove Vale, East Dulwich

> Budgens Convenience Store - Lordship Lane, East

> Dulwich

> Costcutter/Jet Service Station - East Dulwich

> Road, East Dulwich

> Tesco's (Metro outlet) - East Dulwich Road, East

> Dulwich

>

> The way that some fraudsters obtain your pin

> number is by using a remote camera, they place it

> above the keyboard and read.When they start to get

> noticed the retrieve the camera and move on to the

> next hole in the wall. A simple tip is that if

> you sight anyone sitting in a car/van facing the

> machine,then do not use that machine. Always look

> above the keyboard for the camera, but do not

> remove it as they might get annoyed!

> A remote camera needs a clear signal view and

> needs no more that 25 yards to obtain good

> recordable footage.

>

> If you have had a problem and want to change

> banks, I would suggest the coop bank, they rang me

> at 23.00 and asked if I was in India, as

> transactions were tendered over the previous two -

> three hours. They limited my card to UK

> transactions for an hour to allow me to withdraw

> cash, on the understanding that as soon as I had

> withdrawn the money I would call them back to

> advise them. In a couple of day's I had a new

> card and pin number.

>

> Another area that is sus is Peckham, literally all

> machines have been amended at some stage.

>

> Regards,

> Libra Carr.

Is it always the cashpoints they target or do they clone via the tills too ?

mmm my bank called me on saturday and asked if i were in canada, 2 hours after i bought some food in somerfields, they then told me that my details were cloned at a cash machine, i use barclays, hsbc and the machines in sainsburys. mm

I had a letter today asking if I had tried to take money from an ATM in Morroco!! The bank had declined it so all is well. I use my card around here in Somerfield, Budgens, cash points etc. . . there may be a connection or maybe this fraud is just happening all the time everywhere and is even internet related! I have my card, it hasn't been stolen, just cloned. . .

Hi,

To reply to a earlier query, it is possible have your card cloned at tills in fact at anything that accepts your card. Recent problems have been had by South West Trains and London Underground as well, they are currently refusing certain types or age of cards including Amex.

It has been suggested, but I do not know if this is true, if you had a credit card read on DLR it would show your details?

Spooky Darling's

Regards,

Libra Carr.

went to barclays in wimbledon this morin to check my balance

unfortunatly some b*stard has taken out 8 transactions from india- barclays didnt even call

went back at lunch and now its 17, blocked my card and will investigate

i went abroad but didnt use that card

only place i can think of is east dulwich road petrol station

went in there about 10 days ago,

uesd the same card and it was declined 3 times - unusual huh? although i had money in the account

used a diffrent debit and it worked instantly

so i reckon thats the place

anyone else have it happen to them after using that garage?