Credit Card Fraud

Natwest just cancelled my debit card as they said that I had used it in a location close to my house which was under police investigation for card cloning. They advised me to keep an eye out in the local paper to find out which ED shop it was!

Hi,

For the benefit of EDF readers I posted the suspect businesses that have had problems with cloning in East Dulwich, this now may appear on pages two back. The two petrol stations in East Dulwich are helping the authorities with there enquiries as are all the other businesses mentioned. When using a card it may now be safer to use a hole in the wall and obtain cash to pay for purchases, as it appears fraudsters have moved away from the hole in the wall due to the attention they have received.

A simple way to reduce theft is to not purchase any items from a store that may have periods of quiet. As the case is that in a period of quiet (2am in a petrol/foodstore) the defrauder has time to set up a reader without prying eyes.

In the case of restaurants, you have to be careful when paying at any restaurant as the machine brought to the table is a WiFi/Bluetooth sort of transmission method and it may be that someone (customer using their phone) is able to read your card information if they have the correct programme installed on the phone.

I think a good way to try and eradicate this fraud is to identify where the transaction has taken place. Note the venue and the time and ask to see the manager, place him/her on notice that a criminal offence has been commited and advise that this will be reported.

When placing him on notice you must note the time that you spoke to him/her, and send this information to your card issuer

I had a case once where the person who had the card bought a cheap item from a busy chain store, he then had cashback for fifty pounds. He did this some twenty times daily from the same store, relieving the card supplier of about ?1000 a day.

At the end of the day the manager has a duty of care which covers all areas of the business.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

nylonmeals, i had a call from my bank to say they had a call from police, saying my card has been cloned, 2nd time in a year, thankfully no money was taken, bank said they could hold it back to use later, any way do you live any where near nunhead at all? as i was using my card right up till last wednesday, and the only shops i used that week was b&q, asdas, and a supermarket near me.i used my card in my local supermarket last tuesday, went to use it there agin on wednesday and machines were not working, goes back into the shop with a friend on friday and machines were wroking again, surly if this was the shop then they would not be allowed to have their machines back? i have been using this same shop now with my card for over 4 years and its the same people there so im in 2 minds as to wether it is them or not? so that would leave b&q and asdas. any way just trying to scale it down a bit. i knew where my card was cloned before as it was the only place id used it before they cleared out all my account in bangkok.

My mother-in-law had ?6000 taken from one of her cards. A fraudster rang the bank up and told them she had moved address. The bank then sent out a new card to a place up in Newcastle. They then went on a shopping spree over a couple of days. She never used the card but it took the bank a week to flag her account.

Does anyone think that there might be a relationship between the amount of banks and other large companies using call centres in India and cc fraud? I have made it a rule not to give any details to call centres outside of the UK. It's a pain and I might be completely wrong, but a few of the last postings on this subject seem to have an Indian theme.

• 2 weeks later...

My abbey credit card has been used in Italy and Spain over the last few weeks, just received my statement and was shocked::o. I haven't used this card for months, as I'm trying to be good. Anyway, spent most of this afternoon on the phone cancelling card, then spoke to about 7 different people (passed on to next person after explaining situation each time) and then given different numbers, at one point spoke to someone in Portugal(?), who didn't quite know how i ended up speaking to her... who then gave me the telephone number i had called initially!

Hopefully it will all get sorted.

Flower

dulwichflower Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My abbey credit card has been used in Italy and

> Spain over the last few weeks, just received my

> statement and was shocked::o. I haven't used this

> card for months, as I'm trying to be good.

> Anyway, spent most of this afternoon on the phone

> cancelling card, then spoke to about 7 different

> people (passed on to next person after explaining

> situation each time) and then given different

> numbers, at one point spoke to someone in

> Portugal(?), who didn't quite know how i ended up

> speaking to her... who then gave me the telephone

> number i had called initially!

>

> Hopefully it will all get sorted.

>

> Flower

I would be interested in how you have found Abbey? I too was on the phone for ages having to keep calling different people, I then heard nothing further despite calling 2 / 3 times to ask for an update - I was promised call backs from the fraud team on each occasion but they never materialised. Money has just been credited back nearly a month later, still havent heard anything from Abbey though! I have sent them a letter complaining about the poor detection / poor communication / length of time to return money, will let you know what they say !

First Direct are brilliant in just about every respect (no I don't work for them!)

They're efficient, reliable, helpful and friendly, and if they need to call you back they always do, when they said they would.

Don't know whether their credit card is currently competitive though if you need a low interest rate ..... I go from card to card, have had a FD card in the past but not at the moment ....

• 5 weeks later...
I've experienced similar issues in the last few months. The cash machine I am now wary of is the one by the parade of shops on East Dulwich Road. Having seen a documentary about these free-standing cash machines and how easy they are to tap into you'd think I'd have taken heed!

• 2 weeks later...

LibraCarr Wrote:

> Hi,

>

> Just a quickie to make you aware that the

> following businesses that have had incidents, so

> you may want to use cash as an alternative.

>

> Texaco Garage - Grove Vale, East Dulwich

> Budgens Convenience Store - Lordship Lane, East

> Dulwich

> Costcutter/Jet Service Station - East Dulwich

> Road, East Dulwich

> Tesco's (Metro outlet) - East Dulwich Road, East

> Dulwich

>

> The way that some fraudsters obtain your pin

> number is by using a remote camera, they place it

> above the keyboard and read.When they start to get

> noticed the retrieve the camera and move on to the

> next hole in the wall. A simple tip is that if

> you sight anyone sitting in a car/van facing the

> machine,then do not use that machine. Always look

> above the keyboard for the camera, but do not

> remove it as they might get annoyed!

> A remote camera needs a clear signal view and

> needs no more that 25 yards to obtain good

> recordable footage.

>

> If you have had a problem and want to change

> banks, I would suggest the coop bank, they rang me

> at 23.00 and asked if I was in India, as

> transactions were tendered over the previous two -

> three hours. They limited my card to UK

> transactions for an hour to allow me to withdraw

> cash, on the understanding that as soon as I had

> withdrawn the money I would call them back to

> advise them. In a couple of day's I had a new

> card and pin number.

>

> Another area that is sus is Peckham, literally all

> machines have been amended at some stage.

>

> Regards,

> Libra Carr.

I was called today by my bank, First Direct to ask if I was in Germany. No I said. Evidently someone used my cloned card to try and withdraw euros. They had the pin number luckily the bank stopped the transaction. I have used all the places you mention above Libra Carr, recently. So my card has been cancelled and I am awaiting the issue of a new one. If they use remote cameras then could we put our hand over the keypad to stop anyone seeing the pin?

Cate

i would like to add Nationwide building society to the list of good money people. they have been brilliant in every case of fraud, not questioned the problem: varying from several thousands to the recent one this weekend of ?300. someone even attempted a fake passport at a counter, i kid you not!

they also gave me a direct landline number rather than an 08 one so when i call it's free, hurrah!

basically, someone posted earlier that natwest were silly by sending a letter. as i understand it a bank will immediately try to get in touch and call 2-3 times with a half hour delay. their policy, quite rightly, is not to leave a message. then if they have no luck they send you a letter having restricted the card.

this time my money was taken in malaysia: it's bad enough that they are ripping all this money in lovely hot sunny destinations without it having to be my child benefit that they're lifting.

and yes credit cards are actually better as you can cancel a payment, unlike a debit card where the money has been taken. this is how it was explained to me, however, i think i'm going to stick to cash for the next few months. it will help organise spending as the recession hits and will stop me from buying tat that i don't need.

dulwichflower Wrote:

> Hi Clare

> I'm still waiting to hear back from Abbey. No

> money has been credited back yet. I too am

> thinking of writing a letter complaining about the

> poor communication.

> Flower

Hi Dulwichflower,

Definitely complain! I heard nothing for a month, the money was then credited back but nothing further said!

I complained about the lack of communication (erm none!), the time it took and the general poor handling of the whole incident - namely me being rejected money in London but those in Canada / South Africa happily spending. I received a letter of apology, advised the fraud team were aware and would be looking at their communication and I got ?100 credited to my account. Sounds like the problem hasnt been rectified yet!

Bought petrol in Texaco Grove Vale on Sat afternoon with my credit card. Thought a bit weird at time as they keyed in wrong amount and called me back to correct it. Later that evening Barclaycard called to say card inc PIN no had been presented in Canada (?400 purchase - rejected I'm glad to say).

I was impressed at speed and efficiency of bank's response at least ...

My card got cloned on Saturday also. First Direct were rapid on the case and blocked a withdrawal in Germany on Sunday. I had used texaco and a few other retailers with the card recently (so could have been any of them and I'm not suggesting it is texaco - however will probably stick to cash in there in future as there seems to be some history there based on other posts). FD couldn't tell me who the flagged retailer was but I was assured the authorities know and are taking action.

If the above-mentioned places in E.D., are well known for Credit Card Fraud, why hasn't the police been drafted in to investigate, or the Companies involved? It can't be doing their reputations any good?

I had my card scammed in the last couple of days,also tried to be used in Canada.Thankfully Barclays picked it up staightaway.Only used it locally over the past few days,Texaco ,Grove Vale was one!

hya everyone.

i used my credit card in the petrol station in grove vale , on the 5th of this month, my bank rang me and told me my card was cloned at this station , and some one was in canada trying to take money from my account .

on the same day they tried to take out money twice first time for ?99 and the second for ?399 , both were declined , as you all might be aware barclays bank do not give money out unless you tell them your visiting a place abroad, and what card your using.

so people of east dulwich take care

cheers

doss

I have had the same problem! i was phoned by Barclays at 8.30 am yesterday to ask if I had made a cash withdrawal of ?99 in Montreal Canada at 3am. Also a declined withdrawal of ?300 in Vancouver a couple of hours later. I do get about a bit, but I was happily in ED. I had used the Texaco a couple of times in the last few weeks, so suggest anyone who has filled up there and paid by debit card take a close look at their statement. The Bank was quite helpful and told me the routine to reclaim the money - nor did they seem particularly surprised, though they were not specific about the retailer.

Dosser is quite right, by the way; Barclays are always suspicious about overseas debit card transactions and now require you to let them know in advance. A pain, but it's easy to see why...