Credit Card Fraud

This is all painfully familiar... a bunch of us on the forum last year came to exactly the same conclusion. I've learned never to use cards at petrol stations... it's unfortuante that people can't be trusted, but that's life.

fish - I personally phoned the police about this last year, and they officially don't give a crap.

I've always sniggered a bit at people who go to great lengths to cover up their PIN when they enter it. I've learned my lesson! And I'm also going to boycott the Grove Vale Texaco from now on ...

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is all painfully familiar... a bunch of us on

> the forum last year came to exactly the same

> conclusion. I've learned never to use cards at

> petrol stations... it's unfortuante that people

> can't be trusted, but that's life.

>

> fish - I personally phoned the police about this

> last year, and they officially don't give a crap.

No wonder it's such a lucrative crime. (td)

A friend of mine had his card cloned a couple of weeks back, the first thing that sprung to my mind was to ask him if he had used a certain petrol station in ED, and sure enough that was one of the few places he had used said card!

How much bloody proof is needed?!?!?

Happened to me!

Bank called me on Monday to say they had made an arrest and found a number of peoples card numbers on their person. They also said these numbers were form people living around the same area as me! I haven't been to any bars recently so a dodgy shop assistent somewhere me thinks!

Ratty - the one on Grove Vale just by Goose Green roundabout.

Come to think of it, for a while they had 'sign only' for credit cards instead of PINs recently. I joked with the guy at the time saying it was so rare I wasn't sure if I could remember my signature. He wasn't amused as I recall. Having read all this now, I do wonder if the machine hadn't been removed for checking. If so, it doesn't seem to have been very effective as a deterrent (assuming our suspicions are well-founded).

I had a call on Saturday to say that mine had been cloned and used in Germany! I also know someone who'd used the HSBC bank on the highstreet and hers was cloned because a gadget had been put on the cashpoint machine. She has ?3,000 taken out of her account.

Mine was cloned last year, luckily the bank rejected any attempt at withdrawing money. And guess what... the only place where I had used it which wasn't part of my usual 'routine' was Texaco on Grove Vale! I was suspicious about them at the time and decided not to use Texaco again. Card has been safe ever since!

Comus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dosser is quite right, by the way; Barclays are

> always suspicious about overseas debit card

> transactions and now require you to let them know

> in advance. A pain, but it's easy to see why...

I use Barclay's & I've never had them query any transactions while traveling. I've been doing fairly extensive travel in Europe lately & never once told them about the travel or had any payments queried. Also used it in Canada & Bermuda without a peep from Barclay's. Luckily I haven't had anybody clone my card either.

i've just started going back to texaco after boyotting for a long time. i tried one lloyds card and it was declined and another was too, then used my debit card which did work. i rang the card co. up after and they said they'd put a security block on it because of unusual activity, which there hadn't really been, so i wonder if they're aware of this and declining transactions from this place.

48 hrs later and no strange trasnactions on my cards.

Hi,

Just to recap on my earlier postings with regard to the cloning of cards. The following businesses have had fraudulent activity. The majority of card suppliers are aware and you may, as a result, have your card declined.

Please note that this does not suggest that the company/business involved are fraudsters, but have also been subject to the crime.

Texaco Garage - Grove Vale (interior card facility)

Tesco's - East Dulwich Road (Exterior Cash Machine)

Budgens - Lordship Lane (interior card facility)

Somerfields - Lordship Lane (Interior card facility). It must be pointed out in this case that the units that have been corrupted are the multi flow units and NOT the single units facing the front entrances.

And finally.....You must remember that if a Credit Card Company gives you a credit facility, it is up to you to make sure that you act responsibly with it, and not wilfully ignore there advice.

Apparently when they clone your card they may keep it for a while until they travel abroad so it may not have been cloned on Lordship Lane but sometime in the past. I think the lesson to be learned is to never let your card out of your sight at any time.

Hi Again,

Just to set the matter a little bit clearer the cloner does not even have to leave the UK. Within twenty minutes of my card being read in East Dulwich it was being used for a transaction in Abu Dhabi! Not even Stelios or Richard can fly you that fast!.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

hya everyone.

well my card got cloned, my bank told me how and when and i can tell you it was at the petrol station close to the round about at grove vale. like 30 minutes after i got petrol someone was trying to use it in canada, but being like i am and my bank has it all covered , barclays tell all there clients tell us before you go abroad or you wont beable to use your card, hence they were refused my money on 2 occaisions , lucky me.

so now in future i pay in cash for my petrol.and very importantthe machines they are / were using have the devices fitted in the back so watch out please

cheers

all

doss

Mine also got done a few weeks back, Ive not been to that petrol station I have to say but certainly lots of other places in ED.. They tried to buy some train tickets and hsbc called me, anyhoo all sorted now but I guess its happening quite alot out here..

First time Ive ever fallen victim to something like this.. When I first came to the UK I didnt even know what identify fraud was (I think peeps in Oz are far too laid back to go to the trouble) but alas now my fraud cherry has been popped and Im shredding everything!!!

Mine was done (for the 2nd time this year) about 10 days ago. HSBC (excellent and speedy both times) called to say someone tried to use it in Germany (Germany seems to have come up on this thread a fair few times).

(far too much use of the bracket in this post as well)

I too have used the garage near the roundabout - but want to stress that I have no idea whether there's a link or not.

this is what i wrote last week:

"i've just started going back to texaco after boyotting for a long time. i tried one lloyds card and it was declined and another was too, then used my debit card which did work. i rang the card co. up after and they said they'd put a security block on it because of unusual activity, which there hadn't really been, so i wonder if they're aware of this and declining transactions from this place.

48 hrs later and no strange trasnactions on my cards."

today - 10 fraudulent transactions.

DO NOT USE THE TEXACO GARAGE

Now reading this is curious. I looked at my transactions yesterday and discovered last week i was apparently in Essen in Germany and took out ?150 at the bank. Needless to say i wasn't. But I was in Essen in March. What's the view. My card got cloned in Germany, and they've kept it quiet until now? Or i;ve been stung on the lane, and it;s a big co-incidence...?

E

Um

YOu are aware that the ciminal gangs / "liberation " organisations that run this type of scheme are quite sophisticated

One of the main sources of income for the likes of the Tamil Tigers are CC frauds overseas, usually through the extended network of overeas tamils ( willing or more often, coerced )

Many of the redundant EBlok state security operations went freelance in the '90s to get involved - hence a great deal of European stuff where you may have a large Refugee / Gastarbieter population to do the groundwork

these are not a one man & dog system in most cases