Dropped kerb application

Zedd

And where do visitors, tradespeople, delivery vans etc park once the whole road has dropped curbs and there are no 'normal' sections of road left? Where does the rainwater go, once your front garden has been concreted over? Why should neighbours look out of their front window onto a car instead of a proper front garden?

Surely to require henceforward that car parks or parking pads replacing front gardens shall be block-on-sand (rainwater!) rather than concrete / tarmac would be salutary.

Forty years ago Pittsburgh asphalted over the brick pavements in many service alleys. Nowadays, when the asphalt breaks, exposing the bricks, it no longer is re-poured. Money saved, traffic slowed **bump bumpity bump**, rainwater no longer shunted into sewers.

Do our tarmacked streets have brick or block pavements beneath? Were this exposed, could the resultant jolting assist our sleeping policemen?

Actually, it is slightly better than that, as visitors to the house with a droppped kerb (friends, deliveries, trades-people) can legitimately park over the dropped kerb, which will remove some parking pressures on the street, so it's better than just a one-for-one swap. And I note (I have a dropped kerb) that delivery vans in general will stop (for a brief time) over my kerb, even when not delivering to me, thus not blocking the street through double parking.

It is possible to argue, thus, that dropped kerbs can actually increase the number of vehicles that can park, or stop safely for deliveries, in any given street. But of course, someone with a dropped kerb does get a level of exclusive use (for a price) not available to those without.

As far as spaces lost or spaces gained, I think you will find that a car can be removed when parking across a dropped kerb when a vehicle is parked on the off street parking place, that is to say they have a right not to be blocked in. However, if there is no vehicle parked in the space then there is no right to access that space by having a vehicle removed, that is to say, there are no rights regarding being blocked out. Quite ridiculous, bearing in mind the amount of money that can be payed out by an applicant.

• 6 months later...

I and LS1234 have been raising the question of yellow lines over dropped kerbs for some time . Alarmingly LS1234 was told that they have to extend over neighbouring properties .

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,1382228,1383070#msg-1383070

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,336529,page=125

"LS1234 August 26, 10:49PM

We have just discovered that Southwark have a new rule that you have double line any new dropped curb and then to 2 meters either side of it. Do you know anything about this? It would mean that most people would be putting yellow lines outside their neighbours houses and seems totally excessive! Would like to know your views. Thanks."

I would dearly love to know the exact position on this .

So homeowners are allowed to purchase a public good (what was a public parking space) and permanently reserve it for themselves by claiming access rights to their newly generated mini carpark...

Another excellent, well thought through policy Southwark. Why dont they just let people buy the car space in front of their houses, keep paths at a level height, and avoid various rainwater drainage/ front garden issues..?

nashussain Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Chris Johnson has just told us that you need to

> have double yellow lines drawn outside your house

> now if you want a drop kerb. Has anyone else

> heard this and is there a way around it?

Our neighbours are putting a drop in and I was told exactly the same by the Southwark engineer who came round to survey their drive. I made the point which has been discussed on here - that Southwark appear to be applying the standard for commercial drives to residential ones and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. It's "Southwark Policy" and that was that. No matter that it will take out 3 other on street parking spaces in our street.

Yep, also told that I require double yellow lines for a dropped kerb. Apparently, people still park if they see a single white line. It's added ?500 to the overall cost as the process has to be advertised in the local press to give people a chance to appeal the move. That ?500 is then non-refundable! Complete joke.

Tanday Wrote:

> Yep, also told that I require double yellow lines

> for a dropped kerb. Apparently, people still park

> if they see a single white line. It's added ?500

> to the overall cost as the process has to be

> advertised in the local press to give people a

> chance to appeal the move. That ?500 is then

> non-refundable! Complete joke.

Sums up most Southwark policies. Made by amateurs who cannot be sacked. Think Heygate

completely bonkers. We can all see that it that it is going to cause havoc but for some reason they cannot? they (the council) seem to be trying to create as many problems as they can.

Is there any way that the council can be held accountable/enter into some sort of debate about how useful their policies actually are (apart from when they are elected - lets face it this certainly was not on any manifesto)

Mr Barber and other councillors - any ideas? (not holding you responsible but any idea about how to get those who are responsible to account for their actions)

tiddles Wrote:

> completely bonkers. We can all see that it that it

> is going to cause havoc but for some reason they

> cannot? they (the council) seem to be trying to

> create as many problems as they can.

>

> Is there any way that the council can be held

> accountable/enter into some sort of debate about

> how useful their policies actually are (apart from

> when they are elected - lets face it this

> certainly was not on any manifesto)

>

> Mr Barber and other councillors - any ideas? (not

> holding you responsible but any idea about how to

> get those who are responsible to account for their

> actions)

How about employing the old fashioned concept of common sense.

Right - I've found this

"In most circumstances it is an offence, irrespective of the presence or absence of road markings, to park adjacent to a dropped kerb.

Yellow lines

The council may introduce waiting restrictions (yellow lines) in front of dropped kerbs in the following circumstances:

Parking is controlled in the street for other reasons (eg. the street is within a parking zone, yellow lines are needed to allow sufficient space for vehicles to pass, or road safety).

Circumstances would make it confusing to omit them (eg. if new yellow lines were being installed at a junction and there was a dropped kerb immediately adjacent we would probably extend the lines across it).

Adjacent to new crossovers."

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/473/guide_to_parking/3069/dropped_kerbs_and_driveways/4

I'm pretty sure it's recently added as I searched a few weeks ago and all dropped kerb links weren't working .

So it's an offence to park adjacent to a dropped kerb ,regardless of road markings ??? Who knew ?

And the last sentence settles it really .

I'm gob smacked .

Your neighbour gets a dropped kerb and it becomes illegal for you to park next to it . And Southwark may ,or may not ,put yellow lines next to your neighbours new dropped kerb so that you know it's illegal .

Wow .

Anyone else surprised ? Or just me ?

I am not sure if this is any help but we live in West Dulwich, so Lambeth. We just had a dropped kerb done last week. It was a simple process, cost ?1700. The council were very efficient and we didn't even have to have a line painted on the road if we didn't want to. We did (this cost ?100) and it just covers our dropped kerb area plus a very small distance either side. Southwark's approach sounds very odd.

I don't understand why people think creating a driveway and dropped kerb creates parking problems for others. It simply takes a car off the road and onto a driveway, so the net result is the same as the car being parked on the road! I also think it makes crossing residential streets a lot safer if there are large gaps to cross in. I can't tell you how many times I have been crossing our road with a buggy and 3 year old walking next to me and not been able to see cars coming up and down the street as I edged out between parked cars.

Southwark say - on their website here http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/473/guide_to_parking/3069/dropped_kerbs_and_driveways/4

that the installation of a new dropped kerb is a circumstance where they may decide to put yellow lines adjacent to that new dropped curb .

If they exercise that power that will prevent people who live adjacent to the crossover from parking in the road . Do people really not understand how that might create parking problems for others ? What is unclear ?