Why is Southwark Council so rubbish??

St John's PTFA sought permission to poster around Goose Green to promote the school's Car Boot Sale. Permission was granted by the head of the parks dept John Sheass. Afterall, this is a fundraising event that indirectly benefits the council and the school is adjacent so it all ties in nicely.

The day after the posters go up, the enforcement team from Southwark Council tear them down. We spoke to Gilbert Briathwaite of the enforcement team who said he did not know we had permission and that we could put the posters, which had been returned to the school, back up. But within 24 hours of the posters going back up, someone had taken them back down again. This time they have not been returned and no explanation has been given. With just one week to go before the event, there is not time (nor the cash) to have the posters reprinted and laminated. Besides I have no confidence in the council letting them stay despite getting permission from two separate departments!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a solution to this stupidity? I appreciate that the council needs to act against sundry postering for commercial propositions or lost cats, but this case is rather different I feel.

Why not paste them on Foxtons nasty minis with their one dimensional occupants ?

surely Foxtons would have no problem helping the local community they so obviously care deeply about, and the Council wouldnt get involved in this private arrangement

Also, seeing as there is ,statistically, 1 Foxtons tagged motor every for every 17.4 linear meters of ED road space, this would be a far more effective way of publicising the worthwhile PTFA event, than clagging posters on trees in the pouring rain

a propsal made of win ?

huncamunca Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>> Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is

> there a solution to this stupidity? I appreciate

> that the council needs to act against sundry

> postering for commercial propositions or lost

> cats, but this case is rather different I feel.

I suppose the only way to avoid the council's interference, is to poster in shop windows and other private premises.

I find the various council depts seem to rarely communicate with each other very well.

(Oh and it's Sheaff btw):)

huncamunca Wrote:

> The day after the posters go up, the enforcement

> team from Southwark Council tear them down. We

> spoke to Gilbert Briathwaite of the enforcement

> team who said he did not know we had permission

> and that we could put the posters,

Sounds to me like there is no inter department communication. Maybe write to them about this and suggest they introduce a process whereby any poster that are granted permission have a Ref Code assigned to them, and this must be displayed on the poster. No code and the poster can be taken down. It needn't be hard work, the ref code could be something as simple as PGD080502 (PermissionGratedDate (YYMMDD)

They might even thank you for it! (But you should send any bubbly you get for this clever idea my way!)

Eric

Isn't this sort of lack of communication between departments common to most large organisations?

Or have I just been extraordinarily unlucky?

In my experience, you are lucky if there is reasonable communication within a department, never mind anything else !!!

:)

Oh yes lets do something to the Foxtons minis - I'm fed up with nearly getting run over by them - they go too fast - I wouldn't use them to buy or sell a house!!

I know there are some problems with the service from Southwark, but compared to other Boroughs they are not too bad - at least they don't charge for large collections of rubbish from domestic premises (old furniture etc..), like so many other Authorities do!!

I am surprised that anyone has a good word for Southwark.They introduced selective rubbish collection - we happily separate everything.Black bin compostable,white bin plastics. Than they announce change of collection date from Sunday to Saturday, forgetting to mention it will be a Saturday 6 (six) weeks later.

janos777 Wrote:

> I am surprised that anyone has a good word for

> Southwark.They introduced selective rubbish

> collection - we happily separate everything.Black

> bin compostable,white bin plastics. Than they

> announce change of collection date from Sunday to

> Saturday, forgetting to mention it will be a

> Saturday 6 (six) weeks later.

In my experience those ain't Southwark bins (at least not in East Dulwich) where brown wheely bin=compostable, blue box=plastics & glass and blue bag=paper. Are you sure you don't live in Southwell, Southend or even South Park?

Hi,

I have an issue as well with the council.

They talk of recycling and energy conservation, why do they not have the rubbish truck, recycling truck and the garden waste truck follow each other as to ease congestion. Last week on three consecutive day's I was delayed by council trucks in my street. If, they followed each other this would reduce the carbon safety boot that they wear.

Also, they did not correctly advise on the polling stations, I was told to go to a street on the east side of Lordship Lane, I went there and was told that I had to go to East Dulwich Grove (the swimming pool), on arrival I was told that I had to go to Crystal Palace Road. When I spoke with the returning officer he said that the East Dulwich entrance was not allowed as you would have to walk past the pool which was a safety issue. I was under the impression that a council would have knowledge of its properties and access.

Is it me or does this generation not have common sense?.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

The polling station at the Baths on East Duwich Road (not "Grove" :))) has always been accessed by the Crystal Palace Road door. I am guessing there was a map too on the polling card showing precise directions on how to access it??