blackbird bakery

Thanks littleEDfamily - I think it varies, perhaps the opener has to travel to work?

Yesterday got a deliciously tart juice at about 5 past 7, today went past at 7.20 with my tongue hanging out, and it was still shut.

But has anyone ever actually managed to get a baguette from Blackbird B? By the time I get there, they are invariably out. Same at Crystal Palace. However, on the single occasion when I did manage to get a baguette from CP branch, - months ago - it was really nice.

I have been in there at least 4 times and find the staff extremely friendly. They have samples on the counter to try. One staff member has been visiting the station to hand out muffin samples. I have tried a ham sandwich there, very delish, spice bar and muffins. They do a deal for ?2.50 for coffee and a muffin. I recommend their rosemary bread.

Hopefully the owner will read this as the staff is obviously arriving late! I've never been there at that time. Maybe their opening hours are a bit ambitious! Perhaps they should change them to 730.

• 3 months later...

"Sourdough bread". First, a slightly sour flavour; second, a coarse, elastic texture; third, a greyish hue. Not at all what the Blackbird Bakery are selling under that name. Their version (white, fine crumb; no lactic- / acetic-acid tang) is much closer to a pain de mie. Oh, it's all right; if you want a sourdough bread, however, you'll have to go elsewhere.

Note to Blackbird Bakery: Change your recipe, or change your labelling.

I like their rosemary bread, but that is the only one. I tried a baguette and was surprised to find it was quite sweet. It also had weird little black seeds sprinkled about inside. The texture was quite mealy. I took it back to the shop to query it and was told that it was normal by a member of staff. I really like the Bakery at first, but find their muffins are very hit or miss. Sometimes burnt and dry, other times not. I also bought a very nice piece of tortilla one day and then went back a week later for another. This time was completely different - quite revolting, burnt and dry. I have informed them in writing, but never heard anything back. Not great customer relations.

I've just moved into the area and was looking for somewhere to get a birthday cake for a friend. They were really helpful and even accomodated my request for a vegan cake! I pop in every morning now for my daily coffee and cake fix and couldn't rate it highly enough, the staff are all really friendly and helpful and I am particularly obsessed by the carrot cake!

I popped in the morning when the train I was going to get towards Tulse Hill was cancelled - leaving me with about a 25 minute wait. So I had a really nice hot coffee and lovely big fluffy crossaint and relaxed while sitting at the breakfast bar for about 20 minutes. So much nicer than hanging round the station feeling cross about the train cancellation...grrrrr...!