blackbird bakery

Disappointed:'( Got very excited at the news of this bakery opening on Grove Vale - advertised as 7 am to 7 pm, however this is what happened this morning.

Mr Scotslass went at 7.20 am only to find it hadn't opened yet so knocked on the door. Guy opened up and the conversation went as follows:

BBB - "Sorry, it's my first day"

Mr Scotslass - "No problem - would like some coffee's and muffins"

BBB - "Sorry we haven't had a delivery yet so no bread etc"

Mr SL - "Okay just the coffees will be fine"

BBB - "Sorry, it's my first day and I don't know how to use the coffee machine properly"

He then proceeded to try and make an espresso - but only hot water came out!!

BBB - "Sorry, it's my first day and it's going to take me a little while to work out how to use this. Can you come back later"

Mr SL - "Sorry, but you have lost my custom"

Not very impressive for their first week::o

Why? they are already an established bakery so surely they know about staff training etc. And if you advertise yourself as being open from 7am then you should be - service industry and all that. Doesn't the word bakery mean that there should be fresh bread etc each day

scotslass in theory you're right. But take Locale for instance. They have several branches but it's taken them a little while to run sweet. Give them another go and hopefully you wont be disappointed.

Bakery doesn't necessarily mean baked on premises. See earlier comment in thread.

edited for poor sellping

lozzyloz,

I second that. Have to make a little room for human error and all that, especially with a new, independent, outfit. Rather have that than the hi-tech, factory-like, efficiency of the big chains. If we are not careful we'll end up being served by robots.

I really enjoyed being able to pick up some bread on the way home from ED station. And the guy in there seemed very friendly. So maybe give it a little while for him to get up to speed and then try it again.

We had lovely coffee and pain au chocolat from there at about 8am on the first day it opened - the first hour was obviously just a bit difficult. I've been in a couple of times since and think the prices are good and the staff are really friendly and seem to want to make an effort to get to know their customers. I really hope it does well.

Went in today for coffee/pastry injection, just hit the spot.

Actually, the (very pleasant) guy in there was aware of the bad experience of scotslass' other half (he mentioned it to me when I commented that people on the forum were talking about the caf?) and he seemed really worried about it. Understand the frustration, but I don't think they are shrugging off mistakes.

Hmm....yes...there today and the bacon-and-cheese croissants are extremely yum. The place is now better stocked and has more on offer than the NCR stall. They do baguettes!! And great espresso. And whilst I was there the "staff wanted" notice was removed form the window...

Double espresso, said croissant and a baguette for under a fiver...

After my washing machine died last night I wasn't in my best mood when I dropped off my service wash at the laundrette this morning. I decided to cheer myself up by buying a coffee at BB to take home and drink at my desk. It was my first visit and I was impressed with the feel of the place and the friendliness of the staff too - best of all the soya capuccino was really lovely - strong but not so strong as to require medical intervention. I will be back!

I was excited but went in and I was dissapointed to see another overpriced shop in ED. I asked how much a french stick was and a stuck up woman replied '...?1.50...' not a good start ..... and no I don't agree that Grove Vale needs shops like this I think there are enough 'clothes shops' 'delis' and 'coffee shops' in LL.

I have lived in ED for 16 years and enjoyed the old one better a mix match of people, shops and bars but now it is a uniform mini-town of 'bespoke nonsense'. What about diversity and by that I mean variety and accesible shops for ALL not just that people that can afford to pay anything between ?1.50 and ?3.50 for a loaf of bread or ?1.80 to ?2.50 for a cup of coffee....

What is wrong with Grove Vale? The shops there serve a purpose and provide nice Jamaican patties/jerk chicken, second hand furniture, a working man's cafe (I think the only one left apart from the one opposite the Post Office on LL), a chinese take-away (I've never been in and probably never will but there are plenty of people get there Friday night dinner there so what if it doesn't offer exquisite regional Chinese cuisine) ...... I like Grove Vale just how it is......

[/pre]

There are several other working men's cafe's in the area maya55, aside from the Grove Vale one and the one across from the post office. There is the one in betweeen All Fired Up and Locale near Goose Green, the one near the Starz Hairdressers near Tescos, the Upland Road Cafe which I very much like (open very early,great crusty toasts and no plastic chairs. And down Bellenden Road an extremely popular working men's cafe near the Cost cutters. So there is hardly a dearth of working men's cafe's in the area!!! They are good for fry ups but if you don't eat fry ups more than once a week, then you are going to be looking for other eating venues.

I like the Blackbird - since it's opened, we've bought most of our bread from there and they do nice sandwitches when you need to grab a quick sarnie on the go. Not the same que's as ED Deli and more convienent for those of us living nearer Grove Vale.

So someone who can afford cosmetic dentistry and advertises for Spanish tutors is saying ?1.50 is too much for a loaf of bread?

This is why when people start de-railing an argument with "not everyone can afford..." I get a wee bit annoyed. I agree with maya that diversity is good but I hardly think an indi bakery opening is destroying the fabric of Grove Vale. Would Greggs be better?

Must we live in a world where nothing better than 50p for a cup of instant coffee is available for fear of upsetting anyone?

Maya55 - I may have missed an earlier post, but I cannot see why supporting an independent bakery is somehow a threat to the true 'purpose' of Grove Lane - there are never less that 3-4 empty shops in this area and no business has been forced out by Blackbird opening if there was sufficent demand for 'nice Jamaican patties/jerk chicken, second hand furniture and working man's cafes' then there would be no vacant shops on this strip...

I also agree with Asset and Sean that ?1.50 does not seem excessive for a baguette - any newspaper will testify to the fact that basic foodstuffs are experiencing massive inflation around the world and a basic branded white sliced loaf will probably cost you about ?1.50 in most supermarkets these days - and these guys (the branded bakers and supermarkets) have massive buying power to bring you lower prices

I am puzzled by the reference to a "stuck-up" woman serving in there. The woman who seems to be running the place is always the very opposite of "stuck-up" when I go in. A huge smile and a willingness to be helpful.

yes agree with you SimonM. I have been in there on several occasions now and been served by a bloke once and a woman two or three times. Neither of them are 'stuck up' in my opinion and were very helpful. ?1.50 is fine for a baguette in my opinion and the bread, cakes and tarts are delicious. Am very happy it is on Grove Vale, just wish they were open on Sundays -i did ask and she said 'Not yet' which is promising....

went in today about 12ish orderd a chicken mayo basil sandwich lady with black hair served me very friendly food ok not the softest chicken but not tuff ?2.80 good bread I,ll go back.

Bob S