Anyone got moths in ED?

they have eaten a great amount of my wardrobe as well as a beloved kilt. i have left all the nice things - cashmere, etc...out in a light filled room - they seem to like to eat in the dark...

i've done all of the above and we still have them...

@#$%$$^%

otto

ps cedar blocks they sell in that everything store on lordship lane - the one with cleaning stuff and storage stuff out front...they also hate lavender so lavender liner paper or little lavender scent things at sainsburys help a bit...

John Lewis sells them in packs of 6 blocks. They are kind of expensive for what they are. If the lumber yard has cedar you could always have them cut you some blocks - or line your whole wardrobe with it!

I've had an uptick in these little buggers. It was exactly this time last year that they were around as well, none from about July to April. Are they seasonal?

Alternatively, does anyone know if they also live outside? Might also explain why everyone is getting them now.

I've just come back from Dulwich DiY (next to White Stuff) and they have an array of moth repellents, sprays etc and they have cedar balls too. I went for the Rentokill moth killer strips myself. Also got some of those vacuum bags that you put your clothes for storage in, suck out the air and you're left with a surprisingly flat bag.

[edited once]

candj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> John Lewis sells them in packs of 6 blocks. They

> are kind of expensive for what they are. If the

> lumber yard has cedar you could always have them

> cut you some blocks - or line your whole wardrobe

> with it!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You have to sand them down every so often to keep the smell fresh - they are a bit expensive for what they are, but you can get them on hooks to hang on a rail, they are non-chemical and smell a whole lot better than camphor.

I have awful memories of staying in a room in Rangoon which was full of mothballs for some reason - every night I put them in the corridor, and every day someone put them back in the room - and yes I know it's not very PC to visit Burma, but I didn't know that at the time .... :-$

IIn the States it is common to have a cedarwood chest made, like a blanket box. Then put all your woolies and silk in there. Does anyone know anyone who would make one for me? I love the smell of cedar. Smells like a clean hamster's cage.

TheePope Wrote:

> b) putting all her clothes in a chest freezer for

> a few days to kill any of the buggers left, semms

> a bit mad but it's cheaper than dry cleaning and

> best of all it worked

That would be excellent if it worked. Do you know whether, if I put clothes in an air tight bag, they will be definitely ok, no condensation?

Am undoubtedly being quite thick here, but will it definitely not damage clothes to freeze them?

snoozequeen 1

I new someone a long time ago who repaired and restored antique clothes they stored the clothes befor restoration in air tight bags for up to two weeks in a chest freezer kills the eggs or lava.

Bob S

We have the little blighters too and just about keep on top of them by:

1. Squishing

2. Vacuum sealing clothes

3. Putting things like cashmere jumpers in bags in the freezer (it kills the eggs).Odd but it works.

So the only solution is to invest in a chest freezer and tip your wardrobe into it.

Okay- I'm really glad I've seen this. I thought I was completely alone!! The little blighters have been driving me loopy for the past few weeks- although I think we've had them for longer than that.

Our landlady nailed some laminate wood flooring over (almost) the whole of her old wool carpet before we moved in. Leaving some moth friendly gaps. And now they're feasting on the carpet...and multiplying..despite the moth traps and my newly developed moth sensing/squishing talents. We now have over 40 male moths glued to the traps, with hoards of moth bodies splatted cartoon-like on our walls. Nice. Happily, their love of the carpet means they've seemed to have turned their noses up at our clothes.

Rentokil came round to give us a quote and to see if they thought they could solve the problem (which of course they can apparently). It involves 2 sprays. I'm really keen on doing it but worried it may not solve the problem. Anyone here tried the treatment? With any success?

I thought I had a problem but thankfully mine was an annoying flurry of the bastards rather than a swarm. Don't give up attitude pretty much got rid of mine - or at least I think. Before my loft was insulated I scattered two huge carrier bags full of lavender, stalks and all. Sprayed the whole flat with fly spray every time i left for a night out. Put the male traps in the loft, 3 of them (where I thought they were coming from) Also added cedar balls to all my clothes places. Plus used to jump up and squish or splat the buggers in midair. Haven't had one all winter and no sign of them back this year yet. fingers crossed.

O

I sense another ED lynch mob in the making. Count me in. I've lost carpets, jumpers, scarfs etc. I've had them for 2 years now and I've tried the cedar blocks and smelly moth balls but they don't seem to work that well, the sticky moth traps sound good, that'll be next on the list. Good luck to everyone, they are the spawn of Satan.

maxsharp Wrote:

> So the only solution is to invest in a chest

> freezer and tip your wardrobe into it.

Okay, I am do doubt being more than a bit thick here, but please why is everyone saying it has to be a chest freezer? Just for the size of it?

The freezer part of my fridge is smaller than a chest freezer, but it still freezes? Or doesn't it freeze them hard enough?

Apparently sealing in bags with dry ice also works, but the minimum order is ?40 so I'm thinking you might as well get a chest freezer if necessary.

I thought I had got rid of them, having been definitely moth free for the first time last year, but have seen 3 in the last two weeks. That's nothing like as many as before but of course it only takes one to start the whole thing off again. AAAAAghhhhhh.

Please someone tell me that sticking the clothes in the freezer part of my fridge in an airtight back for a few days will do it?

Also I am still in need of a firearm of some sort (cannon, blunderbuss, small nuclear device) to deal with the giant rats running around in the neighbour's garden. Or a flame thrower?

I think the reason that you need a large freezer is that you need to do all your clothes at the same time, so that freshly defrosted clothes are not re-attacked by moths hiding in your other clothes that are waiting for space in the freezer

Presumably whilst all your clothes are in your newly acquired chest freezer, you have to hang out at home naked or wearing only synthetic fibres....?

maxsharp Wrote:

> snoozequeen, I don't think it's the size that

> counts with freezers. Small is just as good. Just

> might take a little longer to get through freezing

> your wardrobe.

>

> That sounds very fnar fnar somehow.

I find nothing salacious in your helpful comment MS. Really. I am freezing my clothes in batches and then sticking them in vacuum sealed bags, accompanied by much obsessive dreary dusting and vacuuming. If this fails I may have to burn down the house. That'll show 'em.

I will report at a later date as to whether this has worked.

Meanwhile all I need to know is how to lure next door's rats into the freezer as well.