New entrance to Denmark Hill station

the people foot print through denmark hill is not that dramatic to need such a big station. Im surprised the people of Dulwich aren't just more annoyed because the station is now modern and not old with history.

When will people start demanding that network rail buy the old garden centre next to east Dulwich station and change it to a massive station forecourt

It's pretty busy. More so than any other close by.

According to the stats on Wikipeadia, it gets 3.7m per year. Compare to 1.8m at East Dulwich and just 3.2 at Peckham Rye (which gets both sets of trains). Herne Hill is 2.8m and has a pretty sizeable footprint.

Nobody is asking for a shopping mall - just decent facilities matching its station (excuse the pun) and matching similar sized stations on other TOCs or Tube/TfL run.

Jkartel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the people foot print through denmark hill is not

> that dramatic to need such a big station. Im

> surprised the people of Dulwich aren't just more

> annoyed because the station is now modern and not

> old with history.

You clearly don't use the station very often!

lane lover Wrote:

> The stats above are a bit dated. Peckham wouldnt

> have benefitted from the ELL in the 2011/12

> analysis.

>

> Since the ELL; Denmark Hill has lost a link as

> well - so I anticipate that Peckham may be alot

> busier than suggested (hence the upgrades).

Didn't they both lose the same link (London Bridge to Victoria inner loop) and gain the same link (Overground)?

I can imagine that the number of interchanges at Peckham Rye might have increased as a result, much more than at Denmark Hill, but otherwise it's a fairly insignificant factor isn't it?

You clearly don't use the station very often!

@edcam..... actually i do, there plenty of buses you can get from there instead!

Some places do not even have a station to complain about, thank your lucky stars. If people were a bit more polite and walked in an orderly fashion, the station would be more than adequate to deal with the demands.

Yes exactly - the changes were the same for both stations. Stats are out of date for both but they are fair as cover the same period.

I'd expect both stations to go up a lot when the next batch are released with the ELL included.

Considering Peckham has 8-12 extra trains per hour (to/from London Bridge) then Denmark Hill is clearly far busier. Due to Kings, it probably has a lot more off peak use.

have a look at Honor oak park

barriers & redevelopment of ticket hall few years ago

passengers running in an 'S' shape through ticket hall, poor use of space

now been ripped out, 1 long gate line installed, drastically quicker and better use of space

never know things could improve

MarkE Wrote:

> lane lover Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The stats above are a bit dated. Peckham

> wouldnt

> > have benefitted from the ELL in the 2011/12

> > analysis.

> >

> > Since the ELL; Denmark Hill has lost a link as

> > well - so I anticipate that Peckham may be alot

> > busier than suggested (hence the upgrades).

>

> Didn't they both lose the same link (London Bridge

> to Victoria inner loop) and gain the same link

> (Overground)?

The Overground replaced the inner loop at the majority of stations served by the old service, with an increase of services by two trains per hour. However, you need to change at Peckham Rye or Queens Road Peckham to continue to South Bermondsey or London Bridge. In the other direction, one train per day diverts to Battersea Park, otherwise change at Clapham Junction. During late evenings and Sundays, there's no direct service to Victoria, so changing at High Street or Junction is the only way to reach Victoria by rail.

Since the change with more trains, it's made it more viable to change for the tube at Clapham High Street, which is a short walk to Clapham North tube.

It's certainly bright in there. The wheelchair racing still appears to be going on.

If it's not going to be the old guys, then as they've done with the pub, it'd be great if it was made into an actual cafe/deli (assuming it won't be used for station facilities) - with seats to have in, as well as take away (a hatch onto the stairs?) and some seats outside. Denmark Hill has nowhere decent for a coffee.

it's gonna be a weird set-up whatever they do, because if the inner door (onto bridge) is open then it's only for station customers with a ticket, if they open the outer door then it's for anyone but travellers will have to run round the side of the premises to get the barriers to then get on their train. You can't open both doors because people will just stroll through to the trains unchecked.

Much has been said of the new entrance and much will be said for sure...I find it staggering how wrong the TOC and the architect got this... Something that was much anticipated has become something to be avoided..no entrance in Windsor Walk which when the back entry to The Maudsley is open again would ease the overcrowding of the ridiculously small new offering...just what is the old ticketing area going to become..retail space??!...a complete mess is all that I can say...the only way back ..for me is ..to build another new entrance or re open the original as a supplement to the current arrangement...so disappointing perhaps we could have agreed on a hub that supported bus and potentially tram as well as Overground based around the Western end of the station next to the car park and bridge over the station itself..I doubt any more will be spent on our station and that is such a shame...a trick missed...:-(

youandiaredominoes Wrote:

> I know some of my fellow east dulwich-ites commute

> via Denmark hill station - what do you make of the

> new entrance? It's not improved much in my opinion

> - you can now walk down to the platforms using two

> dofferent routes but the foyer and outside the

> entrance is a mess. There is no clear in or out so

> people just pile in, there is only one oyster

> machine and the queuing space for that is not big

> enough and people in the queue obscure the

> departure boards. There's no cash machine anymore

> either. Then there's the space outside the station

> - the pavement is narrow and gets blocked up with

> people - especially smokers- who get in the way.

> It's chaos!