Grand Opening of THE FLYING PIG, Goose Green,

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ye gods. Please don't make this a thread about

> nappies. Or kids.

>

> That stretch of shops is kid row anyway. You have

> a decent playpark, pottery painting, coffee shop.

> East Dulwich is a family area. You're always going

> to get kids in there at times. For a quiet nearby

> pint - the Gowlett in eves (or some days is your

> friend.

>

> I went on Friday (adults only) and tried the ribs

> and a beer. Both were great. My only trivial

> gripe was that they seem to have hung onto some of

> the heavily moulded mirrors from Locale which seem

> out of step with the rest of the decor. I think I

> can live with that though...and I think this place

> will fly....

The quality or otherwise of the food would be spoiled if the management continued to let parents change dirty smelly nappies in the dining area. Maybe the sticky chairs were used as changing mats?!

Whether or not there are a lot of kids in ED is not the point-it's the nasty behaviour of the parents that may well spoil an adult licensed venue.

Re kids, I think you have to cut any new business a bit of slack while they are working out the approach that keeps as many punters as possible happy. Any place that does not cater for kids at least during lunch times is going to cut out a big chunk of the available market.

However, changing nappies in a public area is just wrong.

I really want to try the place out, and was looking forward to it. However the nappy issue has put me off as if it were to happen whilst I was there it would ruin the whole experience. Regardless of whether they allow kids or not the nappy issue is just plain wrong,even a health issue maybe. I thought the owners may have posted on here to clarify the matter. If they want the custom of parents etc I would suggest a clear kid policy eg kids welcome between 10am-12, 2pm-4pm, nappy changing facilities must be used.

Am keen to get to this place soon.

And nappies being an urban myth? It happened at the table next to me in Green and Blue. And at another establishment on Lordship Lane, the people at the table next next to me put their toddler on a potty next to me.

camberlou Wrote:

> Am keen to get to this place soon.

>

> And nappies being an urban myth? It happened at

> the table next to me in Green and Blue. And at

> another establishment on Lordship Lane, the people

> at the table next next to me put their toddler on

> a potty next to me.

I do not know why people are putting up with this behaviour. If this was to happen while I was dining the leart that would happen would be a row with the ignorant parents, and I would refuse to pay my bill unless the management sorted the issue out.

There's something quite Special Needs about all these whingeing parents around these parts . Fuck, it's as if they were afraid to spend time alone with their own kids! Jesus, go to the park, play, go home. My mum and dad didn't feel the need to drag me into caffs and boozers. Made it all the more exciting when I started going of my own volition. Get off your mobiles and go home to your bloody Lego!

Whoever said lets not make this thread about children in pubs, I agree. Mr Ben I think it was.

It's a new business, why would anyone be put off trying it out because of hearsay, reports of inconsiderate customers. Seems to be much speculation on this thread even down to how they will handle such incidents.

I was there that day, once in afternoon and then early evening. I'd say the place was busy, the staff did well and there was a nice atmosphere and buzz.

Didn't try the food but it looked great and an impressive beer list. I hope it does well, it's an asset to the area.

Our experience of the "Grand Opening" was pretty poor. They closed the kitchen down (after 3 hours) yet continued to give out menus without explaining this. The attitude of our waiter (middle-aged man, blue shirt) was patronising/sarcastic and somewhat bewildering. We left, shaking our heads. Later, a friend managed to get served a plate of nachos (they'd apparently run out of food by 5:30) and described it as "the worst plate of nachos of all time". Pub grub really doesn't have to be like this.

StraferJack Wrote:

> Sue, burger with chips and sides is 9 quid. As an

> indication

>

> Pulled pork scotch egg about half that

xxxxxxx

Thanks.

That sounds very reasonable! I look forward to trying it.

Exciting things re food and drink happening round here!

numbers Wrote:

> Grancabrona, why are you aligning 'special needs'

> with 'whingeing parents'? Quite wrong and an

> offensive remark to make too.

xxxxxxx

Completely agree.

grancabrona Wrote:

> Wrong in your eyes maybe. Depends how pompous and

> over-sensitive you are.

xxxxxx

A quick glance at the content of your other posts tells us exactly what kind of person you are :(

Sue Wrote:

> StraferJack Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Sue, burger with chips and sides is 9 quid. As

> an

> > indication

> >

> > Pulled pork scotch egg about half that

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Thanks.

>

> That sounds very reasonable! I look forward to

> trying it.

>

> Exciting things re food and drink happening round

> here!

Sue...

Are you REALLY excited by another place doing Burgers and Chips and Scotch Eggs.

There is no such thing as a Healthy Burger.. They are Junk Food.

As for Scotch Eggs.

Hard boiling eggs is a low-fat way to cook them. Sadly, covering them in sausage meat and frying them increases calories and the level of saturated fat many times over. Eggs are high in cholesterol.

Combine them with a high-cholesterol meat product and then fry them in oil - with the breadcrumbs soaking up fat - and the cholesterol level soars to way above healthy limits.

Pork sausage meat is often made from low-quality cuts, including tail, head, cheek, gristle, sinew, tongue and, of course, plenty of fat.

People with high blood pressure or heart disease should avoid products that are high in saturated fats

Source:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-468/Scotch-eggs.html

Enjoy :(

DulwichFox

Would be nice to see somewhere selling Healthy food...

Oh Foxy. Positive as always :))

The Scotch eggs sold by The Flying Pig are not as you describe. They're not made with sausage meat, for a start. Have you actually read the thread?

If you don't want to eat this kind of food, then - don't eat it!

FFS. A burger once in a while is not going to affect the health of most people, if they have a generally healthy diet.

You have said in the past on here that you eat at Jafflong several times a week. Indian food is often very high in fat, isn't it? What is the difference?

What is this "healthy" food which you'd like to see "somewhere" selling? Seems to me there are lots of places round here where you can eat what I would describe as "healthy" food. There's at least one vegetarian restaurant, plus several places doing salads and freshly juiced stuff, for a start :)

ETA: Personally, when I eat out I like to have a change from "healthy" food. I get enough of that at home :))

Sue Wrote:

>Oh Foxy. Positive as always :))

You have said in the past on here that you eat at> Jafflong several times a week.

Indian food is often very high in fat, isn't it? What is the difference?

Pilau Rice..

Chicken Tikka.

Salad.

Pickles

Roti

Where is the Fat ??

YES.. Got It. Your right. There is a shed load in the 'Mint' Sauce. 'Yogurt'

That would explain why I am a Fat.. sod.

Foxy :)

But Foxy, you could also cherry-pick things from The Flying Pig menu like the razor clams or the grilled fish.....

Anyway, I'm still excited about this place opening despite your apparently thinking that I shouldn't be :))

Oh, and very sorry if anybody thinks I am "chiding", "contradicting" or "rebuking" Foxy :)) :)) :))

ETA: Is Jafflong's chicken free-range?

Because personally, I won't eat chicken which might have been battery-farmed. Each to their own, eh??

ElmGrove - yes I did, on both occassions. In Green and Blue and I did feel a bit sorry for the woman with a baby, toddler, pushchair, shopping. She obviously didn't want to leave the toddler while she took the baby to the toilets. But she could have asked a staff member to keep an eye on the toddler.

In SeaCow, I did ask the adults - a general request to the four of them, not sure which were the parents - to take the child to the toilets and got told I had no idea how hard it is, small chilren etc etc. The staff member behind the counter didn't understand what I was saying when I asked for her help. The group left very shortly afterwards. Again I felt rather sorry for them as they were clearly not having the fun time they had hoped for.

It would be good if more places had good sized baby change areas, that aren't part of the adult toilets to make it easier. Not sure what the Flying Pig has.

StraferJack Wrote:

> You have had people on her complaining about dads

> taking kids to the loo. Can't win

>

> I was there for 4 hours yesterday afternoon and

> saw none of this nappy business going on

>

> It's overplayed

I don?t have a problem with parents taking their kids to the loo. What I do have a problem with is Dads thinking it?s ok to take their kids into the ladies loos.

Anyway, I will give it another go this weekend but will try in the evening when it should be more grown up