Grand Opening of THE FLYING PIG, Goose Green,

Lordship Lane is dead, Long live the king!! East Dulwich Road now hosts the best bar in South London(never mind East Dulwich). The Flying Pig Delivers where the Draft House miserably failed - wide rang of beers and real ciders - excellent food and damn fine staff. Can even be forgiven for influx of kids - after all it's a bank holiday, but they might need to watch this going forward. Pints from ?3.30 and small plates from ?3 would suggest a very fair pricing policy - give it a go!

Best bar in south london might be pushing it but it's very good. Beer selection is impeccable, food is very good, space is a vast improvement on locale (draft house suffers primarily from space restrictions, not beer or service)

And effectively rammed on day one. Menu was sliiiightly smaller that'll expected but that's early days for you. They can and will build on that

Yeh, we brought our kids in and quickly learned that....actually... there are loads of places on The Lane (and pubs around and about) that are appropriate for families..but this isn't it.

(and ours are def over the nappy age - yuck!!)

But that's a good thing!

I'm really happy that there's an unapologetic grown-ups place. And whenever we can get rid of the ankle biters we'll be right there.

The food was amazing - the pulled pork scotch egg, yummm! And OMG - you should try the 100,000 scoble chilli vodka! It leaves you numb - literally! And the Mezcal!

Goose Green playground was an interesting experience after that lot...but I wouldn't have swapped it.

Massive fan!

There were a LOT of families with kids today. I was one of them for a while

The corollary is, of course, that if they weren't there, a very large pub would have a small number of adults

But if anyone did change a nappy in middle of a busy restaurant.... Management should have had a word. Toilet facilities aren't great for nappy changing but we can deal with a whiff for a few minutes rather than someone doing that.

Breast feeding is totally fine tho... Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Yep-fair point. No issue with the breat feeding at all and shouldn't have mentioned, but the group of four couples all with v small babies - 3 of which were changed In the bar was a tad inconsiderate to all around. Maybe should have complained/called out rather than resorting to the forum! Maybe if they read the post they might consider In future though...

I think management were a bit overwhelmed with number of families today... Got the impression they didn't expect that at all (no kids menu, one high chair) but lesson learnt and all that. Hopefully they will manage parents like that better in future

One other complaint was the small number of black wooden chairs. Were they painted with glue or something? Stick - y

But if it sounds like I'm complaining I'm not. A terrific addition to the area. Awesome beer selection. Great food. I'm a happy customer

Thought staff were good (nervous tension palpable mind you) but a special mention to the blonde waitress/floor manager who I thought was superb on a really busy day

I never do opening day - always leave it to the week after

less chaos, flying children, pub bedded in etc, and I get

to read the reviews.

So I had a pint in the EDT and walked past the chaos here :)

It was jam packed.

I'll try it later this week.

I went in yesterday with the intention of spending the afternoon getting sloshed with friends and eating my body weight in BBQ meat.

First impressions ? it looked like a fu***ing cr?che. Soooooo many kids.

I didn?t see the nappy changing incident but I visited the loo and thought I was in the wrong place as 2 dads were taking their little girls into the ladies loo. I did confront them but the parents sense of entitlement set in and I was firmly told to mind my own business.

I left shortly after that, only 1 beer inside me and starving!

Such a shame that nowhere in ED (as far as I know) does good food and is a nice place to be without it turning into playgroup on a Sunday.

You really can't judge it on Day 1, on a bank holiday next to a park.

The majority of kids will disappear - until Guy Fawkes night.

Can I spread a rumour alcohol fumes get children drunk :)

CPFCfan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I went in yesterday with the intention of spending

> the afternoon getting sloshed with friends and

> eating my body weight in BBQ meat.

>

> First impressions ? it looked like a fu***ing

> cr?che. Soooooo many kids.

>

> I didn?t see the nappy changing incident but I

> visited the loo and thought I was in the wrong

> place as 2 dads were taking their little girls

> into the ladies loo. I did confront them but the

> parents sense of entitlement set in and I was

> firmly told to mind my own business.

>

> I left shortly after that, only 1 beer inside me

> and starving!

>

> Such a shame that nowhere in ED (as far as I know)

> does good food and is a nice place to be without

> it turning into playgroup on a Sunday.

I was there yesterday with a couple of 6 year-old kids. We were seated outside at lunch time, which I hope wasn't a problem for most people. Like others I don't really like the idea of people changing nappies in a pub nor of them being overrun by kids, but can't see a problem with a couple of well behaved kids sitting outside at lunch time.

Overall, food very good and beer selection fantastic. Will definitely return, with or without kids.

Ye gods. Please don't make this a thread about nappies. Or kids.

That stretch of shops is kid row anyway. You have a decent playpark, pottery painting, coffee shop. East Dulwich is a family area. You're always going to get kids in there at times. For a quiet nearby pint - the Gowlett in eves (or some days is your friend.

I went on Friday (adults only) and tried the ribs and a beer. Both were great. My only trivial gripe was that they seem to have hung onto some of the heavily moulded mirrors from Locale which seem out of step with the rest of the decor. I think I can live with that though...and I think this place will fly....

Also missed out on food as they'd run out early evening :( shame as it looked nice and had some interesting beers (would like a wheat beer though). Agree re sticky chairs, very odd. Hopefully those are just first day teething issues as menu looked delicious.