Grand Opening of THE FLYING PIG, Goose Green,

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But Foxy, you could also cherry-pick things from

> The Flying Pig menu like the razor clams or the

> grilled fish.....

>

>

> ETA: Is Jafflong's chicken free-range?

>

> Because personally, I won't eat chicken which

> might have been battery-farmed. Each to their own,

> eh??

No idea where Jaflong or any other restaurant sources it's Chicken. I doubt if the majority of them uses free range.

Free range does not mean they are Free to roam. It means there is access to the outside.

Chickens can still be kept in large barns and most of them Never venture outside because they are so cramped

and cannot reach the outer extremities of the barn.

I use Jaflong a lot because they understand my dietary requirements..

Being Type-2 Diabetic there are many food I cannot eat or have to restrict.

I cannot eat:-

Most Bread.

Pasta. except in small quantities. like 50 g cooked weight.

Pizza.

Potatoes. 100g boiled twice a week.

Most types of rice. 1/3 cup of basmati permitted.

100g red meat allowed twice a week.

So if I pay ?8.00-?12.00 for a burger. I would need to ditch the bun and the fries.

No dried Fruit. No melon, Pineapple, Dates

No cakes, Pastries,

So.

No desserts.

10-20g 85% dark choc once or twice a week ok.

So going out to most places is very resticted and paying for accompliments that I would need to leave is wasteful

and a bit embarasing.

So I do not get too excited by new place opening up.

That does not mean I begruge others getting excited like you have suggested.

Just think there should be more to get excited about.

Foxy

Fox, it's a pity that you have to eat what you perceive as such a restricted diet (though I rarely eat the foods you mention either) , but please don't begrudge other people getting excited just because you think it's not very exciting for you :)

And most decent places will adjust menu items for you - eg give you a burger without the bun or chips but replace them with something else - without charging you extra. I know, because they've done it for me many times.

CPFCfan Wrote:

>

> I don?t have a problem with parents taking their

> kids to the loo. What I do have a problem with is

> Dads thinking it?s ok to take their kids into the

> ladies loos.

xxxxxx

Whilst I see your point, ladies' loos have cubicles.

Mens' loos tend to have urinals past which you have to go to get to the cubicles.

It's a bit hard to take a smallish girl past a load of men with their willies out, if you're a dad out on your own with the kids, I'd think. Probably a bit embarrassing for the men, too?

Sue Wrote:

> Fox, it's a pity that you have to eat what you

> perceive as such a restricted diet (though I

> rarely eat the foods you mention either) , but

please don't begrudge other people getting excited

> just because you think it's not very exciting for

> you :)

>

> And most decent places will adjust menu items for

> you - eg give you a burger without the bun or

> chips but replace them with something else -

> without charging you extra. I know, because

> they've done it for me many times.

Sue..

Did you not read my previous thread... I Said "That does not mean I begrudge others getting excited ....

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sue..

>

> Did you not read my previous thread... I Said

> "That does not mean I begrudge others getting

> excited ....

>

> Foxy

xxxxx

You said

"Sue...

Are you REALLY excited by another place doing Burgers and Chips and Scotch Eggs."

But hey, let's discuss it over a drink at The Flying Pig - you don't have to eat there :))

Saturday? We're thinking of going for lunch. You can watch us :))

Went there for dinner tonight and have to say I wa a little disappointed. Waited 15 mins at the bar to order drinks and then another 10 to order food. Ordered a chicken burger, but asked them to hold the chilli mayo, hubby ordered some nachos. We waited an hour for the food to arrive (a waitress too is twice that she was 'checking on our food' but actually didn't give us an update) eventually we asked for a refund to be told our food was next out. When the chicken burger turned up it has chilli mayo all over, and nachos didn't turn up at all. We again asked for a refund and we were eventually given one. Shame, as the food being served all around us looked pretty good! Maybe one to avoid until it settles in a bit...

grancabrona Wrote:

> Wrong in your eyes maybe. Depends how pompous and

> over-sensitive you are.

don't quite see what 'pomposity' and 'over-sensitivity' have to do with wondering what the tenuous connection is between "whingeing parents" and "special needs".

that stretch of road has fab shops now what with the bike shop, the fish & chip place, the beauty salon, cafe and now a place offering a range of decent beers. what with goose green and the gowlett a stone's throw away, its a very niiiiiice part of ED to be in.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Pilau Rice..

> Roti

>

> Where is the Fat ??

Do the (admittedly lovely) staff at Jaflong have such an understanding of your dietary needs as to not include ghee or butter in the pilau rice or roti Foxy? Sue is right, many places will adjust including leaving out the burger bun or chips and providing you with salad instead...so not that unhealthy :)

(sorry for going off-topic admin)

numbers Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Pilau Rice..

>

> > Roti

> >

> > Where is the Fat ??

>

> Do the (admittedly lovely) staff at Jaflong have

> such an understanding of your dietary needs as to

> not include ghee or butter in the pilau rice or

> roti Foxy? Sue is right, many places will adjust

> including leaving out the burger bun or chips and

> providing you with salad instead...so not that

> unhealthy :)

>

> (sorry for going off-topic admin)

You obviously know absolutely Zilch about Asian Food.

Pilau Rice is made with Groundnut oil. You need 1 Tablespoon of oil to

300ml long grain rice (measured in a measuring jug)

In Recipes rice is Always measured in volume not weight.

That is enough for 4-6 people..

As I said if you read my post, I am limited to 1/3 cup cooked rice.. Not much fat then..

Roti is made from 2 Cups Ata Flour and water and 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil. (serves 12)

So 1 roti may contain 1/12 of a tablespoon of oil/ghee..

So where is all the Fat....

DulwichFox

Does not Argue.. Just quotes Facts.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Sounds like you've done your homework fox

> (understandably given the diabetes). But doesn't

> mean that the rest of us shouldn't enjoy a bit of

> fatty food or red meat now and again. Everything

> in moderation!

Don't get me wrong. I too indulge in junk food.

My initial comment was to Sue..

She had asked what was on the menu..

SJ replied.. Burgers and Chips .. and Scotch Eggs

Sue replied That Exciting things were happing in ED on the Food & Drink front.

and I replied to Sue.. Are you Really Excited by another outlet doing Burgers and Chips and Scotch Eggs.

Seems a bit strange to get excited about.

My reference to Burgers and chips as junk food was an aside comment.

I then found myself under attack about my frequent visits to Jaflong.

I am 60+ . I drink 2-3 pints of beer a day and have done for 40+ years. Much more when I was younger.

I am 8.5 Stone. So not over-weight like so many diabetics.

I do walk on average 5+ miles a day.

I do not take medication and my Blood Sugar levels are now the same as a non diabetic.

Controlled by diet.

If can become Diabetic at my weight, people need to be aware what they are eating. Otherwise they could

up joining me in a few years

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

>>

> I then found myself under attack about my frequent

> visits to Jaflong.

>

xxxxxxx

"Under attack" ????

Fox, don't you think that's a bit over the top? "Attack"??

I was pointing out that the restaurant where you have yourself told us on here that you eat several times a week serves food equally as unhealthy as you say the Flying Pig serves.

Do you really feel it is appropriate to criticise a new local bar and the people who may eat there on the grounds that you feel the food is unhealthy?

And many many people - including myself - have to restrict their diet for various reasons. Yes it's a pain and yes we often have little or no choice of food in a particular place, but at the end of the day you just have to live with it or else suffer the health consequences.

Don't you think we should just return to celebrating the opening of - yes - an "exciting" (for most of us, I'd guess) new place to eat and drink in the area?

I was not talking about You sue...

The attack was from someone else....

Please read all the posts...

This place is not just about Sue.

There is NO criticism against the restaurant.

Again I find myself having to explain.

You said you were Excited and I said

Are you Really Excited by another outlet doing Burgers and Chips and Scotch Eggs.

A light hearted comment turned into a saga.

Fox

Anyway, back to the flying pig, I went along last night and have mixed views.

On the plus side, had some great wheat beer from Germany I'd previously not heard of. On the down side the full menu (as advertised on the FB page) was not on. In particular two of the veggie options were missing, halving my choices (I know, I know, it's called the flying pig, what do I expect?!). Apparently full menu will be on in next week. Food was good though, and served quickly.

I'm also not convinced by the decor/layout in the back half of the place. Hard to pinpoint why, but it looks like they aren't finished decorating yet anyway. Plus it was really hot back there.

But overall it's a big improvement on locale.

The burgers here are really superb - the best I've had in London. I can't wait to try pretty much everything on the menu. I would imagine they'll have to raise their prices at some point. The slightest of suggestions - would love for the beautiful looking chips to be slightly more cooked.

For goodness sake... just want to hear about the opening of The Flying Pig and all we get is endless whingeing about non related subjects and other crap that has nothing to do with subject header? Why don't you lot just text each other and be done with it? It's pathetic and boring, you all craving for the 'next new place to eat in ED' It's as if ED has turned in to some giant nursery catering for bored parents that need to drag children to every watering hole that opens up.

Dog duck Wrote:

> For goodness sake... just want to hear about the

> opening of The Flying Pig and all we get is

> endless whingeing about non related subjects and

> other crap that has nothing to do with subject

> header? Why don't you lot just text each other and

> be done with it? It's pathetic and boring, you all

> craving for the 'next new place to eat in ED' It's

> as if ED has turned in to some giant nursery

> catering for bored parents that need to drag

> children to every watering hole that opens up.

xxxxxx

Is this going to be the tone of your "credible" new magazine for East Dulwich ??

:))

Returning to topic - I went for lunch today and did not think the food was anything spectacular. The slow cooked beef rib should have been cooked longer and the promised aioli had become some kind of bbq sauce when the onglet steak arrived (without any explanation of why). Overall it was ok but i doubt it is going to transport us to new culinary heights in ED. Also, they do need to get rid of the last vestiges of Locale - pasta eaters on loo doors and credit card receipts headed Locale.

Front bar still there as was Foxy, back has lots of tables. Outside tables as well. You can eat anywhere you are sat. I ate outside last night. You can drink anywhere as well. Drank outside, at the back and in the bar area last night.

Enjoyed it, but for me there's something I'd don't quite click with. Good addition all the same.

Mixed reviews from us.

Most of the food was ok but BBQ ribs were very dry. When I asked for some BBQ sauce i was told it is ?0.30. Don't get me wrong ?0.30 isn't a lot but when food is not moist and juicy I was surprised to pay for little sauce to make the ribs edible. The sauce price was not posted on the menu as an extra.

Beer selection was good but for a pint of beer to cost ?6.20 just seems a little over priced. Will not be returning for food in a hurry.