Grand Opening of THE FLYING PIG, Goose Green,

Beer at ?6+ LOL you bought the wrong one. Cask Ale's my boy thats where its at. This pub has good ales not like the muck served in the great exhibition (sorry to name but it really is crap and declining there if you're an ale drinker).

The food - I do agree they need a bit of time to get everything working but I've been there twice and love the idea of the place - ribs, beef, pork MAN FOOD! I would like to see a chicken wing challenge though. Also I didn't see any knob creek on the shelf - why ?

I think the flying pig definitely has its place in ED.

So we ate here on Sat night. They do need to have some tables you can reserve. Parents who get out once-twice a month need to book babysitters and then they need somewhere confirmed . So why not have 4-6 tables you can reserve and then have walk in for the rest.

We did walk in and got a table in 30 mins but any longer and I would have gone elsewhere. Food is good craft beers are good

Agree to a few more chips, did not see the bbq sauce note , but service was good atmosphere was good Give it a few weeks and hopefully they listen and it all works out. Tough to open a new business but good luck to them

would return if they sort out table reservation. I'm paying ?50 before I walk out the door for babysitter so need comfort that i am going to eat without any stress.

good luck

Can I second the dismay over the stinginess with the chips? Was going to have dinner there the other day but feel the generosity of spirit that should accompany any dirty food/bbq restauarant was oddly lacking - and without that, the whole thing comes across as a bit cynical and inauthentic.

Grumble, grumble.

whatson? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

but feel the generosity of spirit that

> should accompany any dirty food/bbq restauarant

> was oddly lacking

xxxxxx

Well to counter that, can I just say that (as I posted above) they gave us a whole plate of chicken wings free when one of our Scotch eggs was delayed...... We hadn't complained, and I did feel that was very generous.

Sue Wrote:

> whatson? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> but feel the generosity of spirit that

> > should accompany any dirty food/bbq restauarant

> > was oddly lacking

>

> xxxxxx

>

> Well to counter that, can I just say that (as I

> posted above) they gave us a whole plate of

> chicken wings free when one of our Scotch eggs was

> delayed...... We hadn't complained, and I did feel

> that was very generous.

All major supermarkets do Chicken Wings @ approx. ?1.99 per Kg. 2.2lb.

Slightly more for cooked BBQ'd ready to eat. 1-2 mins in a Microwave.

Not that generous.

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > whatson? Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > but feel the generosity of spirit that

> > > should accompany any dirty food/bbq

> restauarant

> > > was oddly lacking

> >

> > xxxxxx

> >

> > Well to counter that, can I just say that (as I

> > posted above) they gave us a whole plate of

> > chicken wings free when one of our Scotch eggs

> was

> > delayed...... We hadn't complained, and I did

> feel

> > that was very generous.

>

>

> All major supermarkets do Chicken Wings @ approx.

> ?1.99 per Kg. 2.2lb.

>

> Slightly more for cooked BBQ'd ready to eat. 1-2

> mins in a Microwave.

>

> Not that generous.

>

> Foxy.

xxxxxxx

God, give it a rest Foxy, I'm losing the will to live :))

Second the whole 'get it right from day 1' thing. Going out money is precious and unfortunately for the businesses, people judge on first experiences. Echoing others' thoughts, if I was able to book, pay the bill at the end, have more chips and could get some hot sauce for my chips then I'd be back. I'll prob go back anyway because of the range of ales but beside the point.

I feel there is a difference between the generosity of spirit that comes with giving everyone a couple more chips from the get-go and the more transactional relationship of recompense that comes with acknowledging service is sub-par. Agree it is good of them to offer the latter, but if they hadn't it would be a sign something was far wrong rather than a point of recommendation.

We went tonight. Ok, pulled pork bun for me, ribs for hubbie. For a starter the interiors is all wrong. Guessing in the deep south they don't have many chandeliers

Food, not very BBQ in flavour, sauce watery, chips in low numbers. Delivered within minutes. My husband rated the beer. We rated nothing else. Finished our drinks and went ti the gowlett. Worst new place for ages

Went for a Beer last night...

Had a Mid Strength Ale :- Magic Rock Brewing.. Curious Orig. Pale Ale. ?3.30.

Which was V. Pleasant.

Did not have any food so cannot comment, but prices themselves seemed reasonable.

Stayed in Upper Bar Area. Bar seems to of been extended from the old Locale bar.

18 Pumps. 17 Seemed to be on. Other pump being changed.

Met a Lady in there who was a CAMRA Member. She was showing her membership card to the Staff.

Evidently they have advertised 'Somewhere' that CAMRA Member receive a discount. The Staff were not aware.

I am a CAMRA Member so would like this cleared up.

Anyone know the score on this subject. ?

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Met a Lady in there who was a CAMRA Member. She

> was showing her membership card to the Staff.

> Evidently they have advertised 'Somewhere' that

> CAMRA Member receive a discount. The Staff were

> not aware.

>

> I am a CAMRA Member so would like this cleared

> up.

> Anyone know the score on this subject. ?

>

> DulwichFox

xxxxxxx

Ask CAMRA?

If a discount was advertised, it would probably have been in the London Drinker magazine, and I don't remember seeing anything in the current issue.

After their first announcements here, the Flying Pig management now prefers Twitter:

"As for the EDF you can spend all day getting tired [sic] up in reviews/feedback. We simply can't please everyone."— The Flying Pig (@TheFlying_Pig) September 5, 2013

It seems that the food is definitely not much of a priority:

"... We want to operate a pub not a restaurant."— The Flying Pig (@TheFlying_Pig) September 5, 2013

Personally, I think it's a real shame - I was looking forward to some good local BBQ.

Jeremy: "Are chips/fries a conventional side for American style BBQ?"

not convinced it's conventional - at least for SouthEastern USA where it's often slaw, some kind of bean-based side (like succotash), or a basic salad.

There's probably not one simple answer to that question tho.