> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Do you still need a beard to join CAMRA does

> > anyone know?

>

>

> Yes - and a personalised tankard hung around your

> neck by a leathern thong.

Not a Tankard.. Glass required to check clarity of beer..

Tankards used by Morris Men to carry beer from Pub to Pub. Clarity of beer not essential.

Some Morris Men do have beards but not all. I never had a beard.

Foxy. Ex-Blackheath Morris Man.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

>

> > Foxy. Ex-Blackheath Morris Man.

>

> xxxxxx

>

> Hey come on Foxy, got any photos? :)

Got a few faded colour prints but no negs as they were taken by someone else.

Did not have digital technology when I last danced out. :)

Foxy

Hello East Dulwich!

It's been a hectic 12 days since we opened! We've been overwhelmed with the response and the positive feedback. It's also been great to finally meet some of our locals, even The Revd Canon Charles Richardson popped in to give us a little blessing.

In general we couldn't be happier with the response and the good will from our neighbours. That said we have read and discussed all the comments raised here on the EDF and noted the feedback from our customers during their visits.

So we're going to make a few changes.

No 30p charge for barbecue sauce, mayo etc...

Bigger portions of chips (our kitchen porter didn't take this news well)

As of Monday you can run tabs

We will review our walk in policy at a later date.

Also to confirm YES CAMRA & CAMRGB members do get 10% discount on all cask ales (beard or no beard) as long as they have a valued membership card.

We really wanted to have a very laid back pub atmosphere here at The Flying Pig hence the no reservations.

Also a quick note about the pricing of the beer. Yes we have beer that is ?6 a pint. Even ?7 or ?8+ but these are 1 off kegs and as the sign above the door states we're a craft beer pub. A lot of our beer is imported from the states on special request. We aim to stock rare and hard to find beers from all over the world. Sadly these come at a premium. We do however sell our house lager (Freedom Four) at ?4 a pint. Camden US Hells and Wit come in at ?4.20 as does our stout. We sell the vast majority of our cask ale for less than ?3.90 a pint, with a CAMRA card that's ?3.51 so where possible we're very competitive.

We sell all cask and keg beers in pints, halves and thirds and will happily let you try the beer before you buy it.

We're also happy for you guys to recommend some beers! So if there's anything you'd like us to get in please let one of the team know.

Regards

Mark Sprules

General Manager

The Flying Pig

&

John Murray

Head Chef

The Flying Pig

I was very pleasantly surprised, after all the negative comments, at the food, drink and service at The Flying Pig at lunch time yesterday.

The bar staff could not have been more friendly and efficient, they (as well as one of the Managers) brought my drinks to my table, the food I sampled (pork belly with barbeque sauce) was excellent, prices highly competitive.

The Head Chef, who is also a part owner, came out of the kitchen and asked for feedback on the food.

However, all this was marred somewhat by reading on the forum that the intention is that The Flying Pig should be a pub which serves food, rather than a restaurant, a fact confirmed to me yesterday by one of the Managers.

Somehow this comment does not tie in with a pub having some three or four chefs and two kitchen porters, overseen by a highly qualified Head Chef with experience of working in well known upmarket city restaurants.

This apart, from my experience, I would suggest that those who may have been put off by the negative comments, as I was,pay The Flying Pig a visit and form your own opinions.

I shall certainly be back.

Alan - I'll try the odd strange one - IPA and the like :)

generally

This is a pub not a restaurant - so you get a snack with your beer - not vice versa - so won't

judge it on food.

lots of London pubs serve beer that can taste as if cleaning chemicals are in it.

I've given up taking it back - just make a note and don't return.

People will pay to avoid that - but beware if they get it as well as paying :)

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

>

> > Selling Beer at ?6.20 will insure that a

> certain

> > element of E.D. folk will be queuing around

> > the block to drink there.

> >

> > ?6.20 will be the new norm. Others will follow

> > once they realise they can get away with it.

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

> So how much is a bottle of wine? ?3.99? ?5.99?

> ?15.99? See, it doesn't make any sense. Believe it

> or not, some beer is better than other beer and

> very often you have to pay more for it. If they

> sell London Pride for ?6.20, I won't buy it. If

> they sell Stone's Arrogant B*stard for ?6.20, I'll

> have some. And as it's 7.2%, I suggest buying it

> by the half.

Went today for lunch at 12pm. Food was excellent as was the beer. We had pulled pork, tuna tacos and half portion of mack n cheese without the jalape?os - yes they do kiddies portions if you ask the manager v nicely. we also had a pint of pale ale, coke and apple juice. All in about ?30. Cheaper and better than the bishop which we love. Main issue is lack of kids options during the day and the bar staff need to get used to the place as seemed quite clueless on the beers but both these should be easy fixes.

We went friday evening and had a nice time, i definately give it a vote as a Pub, My other half enjoyed the selection of Beers , unfortunately i cannot give it thumbs up for the food. Chicken wings not cooked, although the waitress tried to say it was the marinade, Chips tasted of cheap vegetable oil and my ribs weren't very nice at all, once they saw i hadn't eaten it they gave me a refund straight away , Other half had the burger which he really enjoyed -service was polite.

We will go back though as its a good pub , nice atmosphere.

Have been in the last 4 nights.

Great to see draft beers being served in thirds if wanted. Have managed to taste most of the draft offerings now. Favourites being the Rogue Amber Ale & the Smoked Porter. I fear I must have expensive tastes. All staff were great, especially the gent who seems to be running things (Mark?)- we had a conversation about the Hardknott ale, and his level of knowledge about which pub it was brewed in, in which valley in the Lake District was impressive.

Yet to have anything to eat, but it seems the menu has been stripped back compared to what was originally advertised- I guess that's a good idea if problems were had early on. The food that was coming out looked good though. A ?3 homemade scotch egg has to be worth a try. The scotch egg in the Vic is a fiver.

the bar staff need to get used to the place as seemed quite clueless on the beers but both these should be easy fixes.

Clueless staff is par for the course with most of the places riding the craft beer boom. At least the Flying Pig people are polite and friendly unlike many of their east end counterparts.

Having said that they are some mega knowledgeable people working there. I'm sure the others will pick it up as they go along.

Just been in tonight for drinks and food. The beer is very well kept as you would expect but don't often get. A good range of ales, at least 6 on tonight and plenty of lager and cider. Birds and the Bees was the stand out session ale but the Red Shift and the Jack of Clubs kept the cockles warm too. The Dixie bottled lager went down well on our table.

Food wise the Jacob's ribs were outstanding. Pricy at ?14 but delicious and a decent portion. All 6 of us enjoyed the food, not one complaint. I had them with a bottle of the southern 2x stout which was outstanding.

The service was good and the staff had a good understanding of the beer, most had a very good knowledge of what they were selling but even the lowest bar was quite high.

Most pubs in ED are either shit or a bit complacent, this is good competition and should help raise the bar. Most importantly the beers are excellent. An added bonus is the food is very good. Probably needs some cheaper options on the menu though. Having said that full marks for decent portions.

On the down side the music is a bit ropey but I'm generally regarded as having shit taste in that area.

I've been twice and won't be going back anytime soon. I?ve had the wings, nachos, ribs and soft shell crab salad. All were adequate, but extremely overpriced. Good beer selection, but prefer the Draft House for food. As an American living in London, I was excited about a bbq restaurant opening locally, but sadly this place just made me homesick. Also, what sort of smoke house doesn?t do dessert or whiskey/bourbon cocktails?!? For bbq will venture to Bodean?s.