Adventure bar - East Dulwich (Lounged when no longer about same)

James

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >>To quote Wikipedia, "A Manhattan is a cocktail

> made with whiskey, sweet vermouth, ice, and

> bitters

> It has to be Angostura bitters and Bourbon. I got

> very drunk one night at college with a friend on

> Jack Daniels Manhattans which I claimed to have

> invented that night....

Sorry to be a bore but at least this isn?t about spelling. Jack Daniels isn?t bourbon. Bourbon has to come from Kentucky (I think it?s only Kentucky). Jack is a Tennessee whiskey.

I went in there the other day an thought it was good. There are a number of simlar but good pubs in ED and Adventure Bar is different to Licqourice so all in all another decent option of something different, I hope it is a success.

>>>Sorry to be a bore but at least this isn?t about spelling. Jack Daniels isn?t bourbon. Bourbon has to come from Kentucky (I think it?s only Kentucky). Jack is a Tennessee whiskey.:D<

I also experimented with a "Southern Comfort Manhattan" - not recommended

Prosecco me arse! I can't believe people are debating over the quality of fizz in a five pound drink in a cocktail bar.

How smug we have all become with our disposable income and fancy ways when there are kids living in abject poverty and misery just down the road in Peckham and Camberwell. Next time one thinks one might be offended by the decor or inferior nature of the bubbles in one's drink perhaps one should have a glass of water, go home sober for a change (maybe), and give the money to charity instead. Or not.

It's just a bar.

(Enjoy your Mojito Challenge though. Sounds like a legend idea)

SimonM Wrote:

> >>>Sorry to be a bore but at least this isn?t

> about spelling. Jack Daniels isn?t bourbon.

> Bourbon has to come from Kentucky (I think it?s

> only Kentucky). Jack is a Tennessee whiskey.

> Yesyesyes I knew all that - and am sorry my post

> was ambiguous. This was why my dreadful

> "invention" was referred to as a "Jack Daniels

> Manhattan" rather than just a Manhattan >:D<

Actually though Simon, not wanting to rely too much on something I heard in the pub, after I posted that I thought I would go and check it up and apparently I wasn?t 100% correct. Whiskeys produced outside of Kentucky (but still inside the USA) can actually call themselves bourbon as long as they are produced in a certain way. Most of them don?t though out of tradition.

Now I feel like a Jack Daniels. It?s only 9:15 :-S

Wikipedia has this to say about it:

?A yard is a spar on a mast from which sails are set? Yardarms [are] the outermost tips of the yard? The actual time that the sun would pass a particular yard would depend greatly on the ship's latitude and heading, as well as the height of her masts, but the phrase seems to have originated in the north Atlantic, where, in summer, this would have typically been at about 11 a.m..?

So I have about 35 minutes.

How smug we have all become with our disposable income and fancy ways when there are kids living in abject poverty and misery just down the road in Peckham and Camberwell. Next time one thinks one might be offended by the decor or inferior nature of the bubbles in one's drink perhaps one should have a glass of water, go home sober for a change (maybe), and give the money to charity instead. Or not.

Umm, ok, I don't want to get into a forum fight or anything, but as one of the people who mentioned the prosecco, I can't help taking this a little personally.

djfitz, reading that it seemed to me the only person being smug was you. Don't you think your post was a little judgement and presumptuous? Apart from knowing that I don't like prosecco or Adventure bar, what do you really know about me? Are you really in a position to judge my attitude to poverty, the children of neighbouring, more deprived, boroughs or my charitable giving?

I'm no saint and I'm not saying I don't over indulge occasionally, but that sort of sweeping moral judgement just because I expressed an opinion on a cheap, sweet, prosecco cocktail, seems unfair to me.

Cassius Wrote:

> Can anyone explain the point of cocktails to me?

> Long drink beer, medium drink wine, short drink

> neat vodka. Fruit belongs in a fruit salad, mint

> in mint sauce, and why ruin good

> prosecco/champagne?

They help you towards your 5-a-day, innit.