Woman stabbed in Peckham last night (Lounged)

jumpinjourno

I don't think Bellenden Rd is particularly dangerous, even at 11pm and later at night. I've walked home up that way many times and often in a very squiffy condition and had no problems.

Even if this was a 'private' disagreement, WTF is someone doing carrying a knife in the first place? This one of the roots of the problem and I fear that only punitive treatment will be effective, reason doesn't seem to hold much sway.

NatashaD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Indeed Ted. I think the original poster has rather

> scaremongered in his/her telling of events.

The OP is the "Dulwich reporter" for the Southwark News.

I think this knife crime epidemic is horrific. However, those advocating fleeing to the Shires beware. This sort of thing does happen everywhere (although I'm already worried about where my little boy will be going to school if I don't get rich soon).

ratty Wrote:

> That's no problem - I made a fortune out of it

> when I lived there! :)

Is this one of those clever forum sense of humour situations that I occasionally miss, or are you actually so ridiculous as to proudly admit to involvement serious crime on a thread that has turned to debating public safety in the area? Does the post from snoozequeen1 bounce off you completely, ratty?

I'd genuinely like to know if the utter crap that you have posted is just having a giggle to get a rise out of me and people similar to me, or if you are just that much of a social bottom feeder that it's true.

If it's a clever joke, apologies for my mental slowness...

...Please let it be a joke...

Could have been a screwdriver....

....or they could have gone home to fetch a kitchen knife.

Rumours and hearsay at this point. I agree the OP has attempted to sensationalise this beyond his/her level of knowledge (especially since the thread title has had to be amended).

Could we wait and find out a bit more of what has happened before we all declare we're moving to Portsmouth or (godforbid) Lancaster. A tad over-dramatic.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> I think this knife crime epidemic is horrific.

> However, those advocating fleeing to the Shires

> beware. This sort of thing does happen everywhere

> (although I'm already worried about where my

> little boy will be going to school if I don't get

> rich soon).

But this is the problem, it is not an epidemic. As TedMax has rightly pointed out knife crime levels are no different to last year and yet the media has us currently whipped up into a frenzy over it.

When decent people surrender their neighbourhoods by decamping to "the Shires" we have ourselves to blame for what happens next....if you care for you community, stay and fight for it.

Even if this was a 'private' disagreement, WTF is someone doing carrying a knife in the first place? This one of the roots of the problem and I fear that only punitive treatment will be effective, reason doesn't seem to hold much sway.

I think that is the only short term measure available.

Sir Ian Blair has said that his force now has a policy to charge people found in possession of a knife, rather than issue cautions. Recently, the percentage of people being charged has gone up from 40% of those arrested and found to be in possession, to 95% (in the past week). You could ask, "Why only take action recently?", but I guess one of the upsides of the media reporting/hype is politicians and police authorities are pushed to take action against an existing, serious problem.

Addressing the youth end of the problem, Campaigns, and Facebook groups, and all the rest of it may have an impact if they can generate an allied feeling that, not only will you be charged and facing prison if caught, but your peers think it uncool and unacceptable to carry a knife. Seems a long road to travel, however.

I think the indication of a smiley would indicate that it was tounge in cheek, although it may have turned out to be a bit more foot in mouth.

Oh wait, I am actually a drug and alcohol worker and manage rehab projects in South London so perhaps it's the truth.

NatashaD Wrote:

> BJL "The OP is the "Dulwich reporter" for the

> Southwark News."

>

> And? Does that mean his/her events are spot on? I

> think not! I speak as a journalist myself.

I'm inclined to agree with you, Natasha. A sensationalist posting, written before the full facts are known. At least he managed to mention his newspaper.

ratty Wrote:

> I think the indication of a smiley would indicate

> that it was tounge in cheek, although it may have

> turned out to be a bit more foot in mouth.

>

> Oh wait, I am actually a drug and alcohol worker

> and manage rehab projects in South London so

> perhaps it's the truth.

:-$

big sorry, ratty.

Am tired and used to work in king's A&E, am easily baited on this one. A bit out of my depth, i suspect. Sorry again.

*sits in corner looking sheepish, like small child listening to older siblings friends*

No No No - I did not mean to sound like that at all. Drug Misuse is a subject close to my heart both as a worker and an ex user (recreationally).

Anyway back to topic.

*hugs bignumber5 and promises to buy him / her a pint / soft drink / coffee / cuddly toy*

"But this is the problem, it is not an epidemic. As TedMax has rightly pointed out knife crime levels are no different to last year and yet the media has us currently whipped up into a frenzy over it."

Seventeen dead teenagers is pretty bad, whether it's the same as last year or not.

Yes, of course Jimbo - one would be one too many.

However, the current hysteria and paradoxical fear of crime (despite crime levels falling) doesn't help resolve problems like this. In order to avoid knee-jerk reactions the situation needs careful attention, not jingoistic politics.

Whatever happened to "tough on the causes of crime"?