Woman stabbed in Peckham last night (Lounged)

jumpinjourno

Yeah perspective is what we need. People get stabbed all the time.

Just ignore it it?s not a problem.

Bloody hell, next thing people will be worrying about stupid things like our children?s future if we don?t educate them properly or what?s going to happen when the oil runs out.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And for those thinking of moving to Portsmouth

> Portsmouth news

>

Am I missing something? This is a story in Portsmouth's Evening News Website about a woman being killed in........ wait for it....... Bellenden Road in Peckahm! It's in the National News Section.

Or am I going ga-ga????? Please explain! :O

it's not true that these stabbings happen everywhere. They are most common in inner-city london and most are black-on-black assaults. Peckham, Walworth, Hackney and brixton are hotspots. On average Kings College Hospital treats one stabbing or gunshot victim every day.

Guns and knives are now carried by a very large number of people, particularly young males, who are the most inclined to lose their heads and use them. There's a cultural dimension to this problem that needs to be addressed by community leaders. Relying on the police isn't going to solve it.

Can I just point out to all you folk wanting to whisk your kids away from London, that the minute they turn 18 they'll prob hotfoot it back here and you won't be around to keep an eye.

I've been through the agonising over whether to bring my kids up here or move back to the windy city, but on balance, in London trouble can be avoided whereas other places it comes looking for you.

Jamma Wrote:

> This doesn't affect me. I'm not in a gang, I don't

> do or deal in drugs and I'm not some messed up

> schemie who spends all day drinking then fighting.

> So why the fuss? Because some diddy journalist

> from a two-bit paper has come on here trying to

> whip people up into some sort of demo like the one

> in north london to get a story. Don't take the

> bait.

Go easy Jamma.....'diddy journalist'?? So because someone is upset by the event you tell them off for whipping up a frenzy?

Freedom of thought and speech, please.

Ahhh but we'll all be in Canada by then Asset!!!

Back to topic from me - picture here of the scene - cannot make out what bit of Bellenden this is.... anyone?

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2008/Jul/Week1/15020480.jpg

ratty - good spot

Apologies - I saw the link on the side of the Peckham story. My fault entirely!

@Brendan - you KNOW I'm not saying everything is rootin tootin' dandy - I'm just saying that if our parents managed to bring us up, and their parents managed etc etc, without instilling the fear that exists in the papers at the moment then so should we. It's not a good thing that people are getting killed but it's not a sudden glitch in the matrix

If we want to tackle a problem then we need to agree on what it is. If we think things are getting worse when they aren't, we have mis-diagnosed teh problem and will end up with a half-assed solution

BJL Wrote:

> snoozequeen1 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > jumpinjourno Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > What on earth is going on and how do we

> tackle

> > > this.

> > >

> > Stop buying cocaine

> >

> > Stop buying cannabis

> >

> > Stop buying tamazepam and modafanil (stolen

> from

> > the NHS) for "recreational use"

> >

> > Stop tolerating the use of drugs all around us

> >

> > Ostracise drugs sellers and optional drug users

> >

> > That might help.

>

>

> Ted Max Wrote:

> -----

> > BBC Radio has just reported

> > the Bellenden Road stabbing was the result of

> an

> > argument between a man and a woman who had been

> > drinking together for much of the day.

>

> Snoozequeen1: what are your views on alcohol?

Indeed. As booze appears to paid a large part in this tragedy, would you add alcohol to that list?

Incidentally, the secondary school i attended in a village just outside Portsmouth has confiscated a number of knives in the last couple of years.

"Incidentally, the secondary school i attended in a village just outside Portsmouth has confiscated a number of knives in the last couple of years."

Pray tell where Klaus... I too attended a Secondary School in a Village outside just outside Portsmouth!

MadWorld74 Wrote:

>

> Go easy Jamma.....'diddy journalist'?? So because

> someone is upset by the event you tell them off

> for whipping up a frenzy?

>

> Freedom of thought and speech, please.

Trust me MW74 I have a very good working knowledge of diddy journalism. I know exactly what this jumpinjourno is up to and it's pathetic. They should be down Bellenden Road knocking on doors trying to find out what went on instead of trying to manufacture stories via this forum.

ratty Wrote:

> "Incidentally, the secondary school i attended in

> a village just outside Portsmouth has confiscated

> a number of knives in the last couple of years."

>

> Pray tell where Klaus... I too attended a

> Secondary School in a Village outside just outside

> Portsmouth!

Swanmore.

Despite most of the pupils coming from very 'nice' middle-class backgrounds lots of the boys feel it's neccessary to carry a knife because the bad kids do. Whether for self-defence or not, this is certainly not a problem restricted to big cities.

I have a friend who works for Thames Valley Police, and I have been told than confidentially the Metropolitan Police force accounts for nearly 85% of ALL gun and knife crime out of every single force up and down this country. If that figure is true, it is absolutely astonishing. I have experienced lesser life threatening but equally as frightening crimes locally and I no longer feel safe going to Peckham as I have pointed out many times before, the level of violence in London is out of control and I personally am finding it harder year on year to justify why I still stay here.

Louisa.

Point taken Klaus (although Swanmore is in Southampton really and as such you are a sworn enemy of all things Pompey! ;)

I guess I am out of touch with what goes on in schools having not been to one for 22 years, but I have been talking a lot lately to friends back home and back in my wife's hometown and these knife killings are just not happnening there at the moment. Yes there are murders and crime back home (I actually got arrested on suspcion of murder once but it was a simple case of old bill putting two and two together and making sixty-three) but they are not as commonplace as round here. Thus the risks must be less.

I guess I am putting my own thoughts on it, but from what I see, I would not like to be a kid growing up round here. My wife and I don't have money, we cannot afford private schools and things like that.

Anyway back to topic, the whole thing makes me really, really sad!!!!

I come from Edinburgh and although it is seen as a nice twee city, it has extremely high levels of random violence and I believe it topped the charts a year or so ago as having the highest per capita stabbings of anywhere in the UK, i.e. more than London.

I find it pathetic that people point to crimes in small community pockets elsewhere in the UK. Every urban area will have certain problems associated with burglary and mugging to an extent, but in terms of violent crime on the streets London is head and shoulders above every other EU capital and is statistically a million miles ahead of EVERY other urban/metropolitan district in the rest of the country. Failure to dispierse the gang culture and redirect the lives of the youth today have contributed to this mess, and a severe lack of discipline and sense of community in this city have further plunged us into a crisis. For all those pointing elsewhere in the country feel free to look at the stats before you say how great this place is.

Louisa.

i am inclined to agree with Louisa on this one.

I do accept that me and all my friends managed to grow up without getting into this kind of trouble, and not finding ourselves the target of knife/gun crime. however it was a different generation -when i was 9 i would head off all day with friends, on my bike and come back at 5 or 6pm .

i dont think i would feel comfortable with my kids out all day long like we used to. i think most of the crime is gang/drug related etc however you do hear of kids who are maybe just passing by or defending someone and get hurt as a result. i know it's not very likely, but it is possible - and seems more apparent in London

London scares me sometimes in terms of the amount of agression young people seem to have, the kind of people that are walking around on its streets sometimes makes me cringe at the thought of being British. Yes not everyone is like this, but its something i have noticed more and more.

We can't tell teenagers on trains or buses that they should be wearing headphones instead of sitting there with music blaring out of their phone, we can't look some people in the eye- i was punched round the head on the train a couple of months ago, in between PR and ED stations because apparently i was 'eyeballing' someone.

It does make me wonder whether London is a city that i want to bring my kids in and unfortunately, despite all of its positives - and there are lots - i seriously think a lot about moving overseas when it comes to kids.

I am inclined to agree that crime is becoming increasingly problematic in London. I wonder whether the police feel as though they have good leadership. It may be a false analogy, but in the footballing world, a change of leadership can turn a seemingly hopeless situation around: look at Fulham.

As your post seems directed at mine, I will ask where are you getting your statistics from Lousia? As someone else pointed out it is 'per capita' statistics that matter not just the numbers.

I can't find the article in which Edinburgh came top for stabbings - per capita - but having spent a lot of time in both cities I would be more worried for my son to walk around the centre of there than the centre of London late at night.

Figures for 2002 showed that Glasgow had a homicide rate of 58.7 people per million of population, the highest rate of any city in western Europe. Belfast was on 55.9, Madrid on 18.4, Paris on 20, London on 26, Amsterdam on 31.3 and Dublin on 18.8

Only Baltic cities such as Vilnius in Lithuania (89) had a higher rate, along with New York (86.5) and Washington (428.7) and Moscow (183.8)

Link

there you go, it's the weegies! Surprising that Amsterdam is higher than london. However Lousia reckons London is head and shoulders above every other city in the world so those stats must be wrong David.