Woman stabbed in Peckham last night (Lounged)

jumpinjourno

natashad , i've heard from a good source, it was actually a woman who stabbed another woman, slashed her across her throat.

(i do hope i haven't got it wrong, at times like this rumours can fill the air!)

everyone, lets not assume only men or boys do this!

it happened to the girlfriend of my cousins friend.......

I knew I totaly nutter (female) in Liverpool who got in a row with a girl in the pub, and then chased her down the street with a couple of her mates, and did exactly that! Grim stuff, and as sexist as it may be, we were all even more shocked to think a woman had done that to another woman!

Saw this post and just had to register and reply!...It is all about "scale and proportion"..YES! They are crimes everywhere(First murder in The Orkney Islands for 25 years recently!)...however the chances of being innocently caught up in street crime in FAR,FAR higher in certain areas(Peckham being a perfect example)..My Dentist is still only yards from the Murder spot but I fled(along with all my friends) 25 years ago.What a fantastic decision to leave "my" beloved Inner South London!...In 25 years living right on the edge(half-a-mile from a SE London postal district) I have only seen ONE local incident in The Welling Areas.I do not even lock my car at night!..Only yesterday I went out all day with my car in my drive with the window wide open and no-one at home.2 years ago I,accidently,went out and left my front door(with 4 dogs inside) wide open for 3 hours with no repercussions.The area is soooo reminiscent of my Walworth/Camberwell/Peckham childhood of The 1960's/1970's.I live near 180 acres of parkland(75 yards)and my home is only ?200,000 so nothing special!.I'm 15/20 mins at night away from Peckham and yet light years away i.r.o Quality of life for my Family.We are near Woods/Meadows/Parks and only 15/20 mins from the Heart of Kent.

I have to say,from first-hand experience,we visualized what was coming and regrettably we were right.

There is no comparison between the chances of being robbed/mugged in my area than my former area,yet crime is in bothareas..its the DEGREE of crime that is different!

So where you are now is like where we are now, but 40 years ago? Get the spare room ready Tony, Louisa's coming over.

Seriously though, and I'm not trying to sound patronising but probably will, what your point? Do you work for Foxtons (North Kent branch)?

I have never posted anything on this forum before but feel the need to do so today. All of us need to do something about knife crime. It is not just some one else's responsibility.

On the 176 bus in the morning I feel so sorry for the little boys that get off at the big secondary schools in Camberwell. Teenage boys need to have role models and need to have love with discipline. If the parents haven't given it to them then we as a society have to.

I read the other day in the Standard about the need for children without role models to have mentors. Just a couple of hours a week could make an amazing difference. I'm going to do a bit more research on this and post the details. Perhaps get involved in supporting the Kids Charity right on our door step in Peckham? Perhaps try as a forum to raise some money to support this charity?

London is an amazing place and I don't want to leave it.

Hi adoodledo

I was thinking about this earlier, what can I do? I don't have kids that I can influence, I'm not a teacher, I'm not in the justice system, I'm not a social worker or of that line of work so what can I do to help? I know I can watch the programmes about gun crime, read comments about how it's the fault of black culture/single fathers/mothers/chavs/schools, snarl at my MP for not making England the green and pleasant land it should be, point fingers et al but it would be good to investigate the ways I could actually make a difference by doing something rather than being a couch politician. Please let me know what you find out, I'll be interested to hear what you have to say.

missd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i am inclined to agree with Louisa on this one.

>

>

> It does make me wonder whether London is a city

> that i want to bring my kids in and unfortunately,

> despite all of its positives - and there are lots

> - i seriously think a lot about moving overseas

> when it comes to kids.

Please do not! We need all the decent people to remain!

A simple move to The Suburbs(only 20 mins by train or 20 mins at night by car) will mean the World of difference.I left Peckham environs 25 years ago to live on the edge and it has been a GREAT move with little problems..The houses are cheaper than Inner London and there is still an English/British fel to the area.People even acknowledge courtesies on the road in 90% of the cases.No area is "perfect" but the chances of being an innocent victim are greatly reduced and I only have seen one incident since 1983 when I reluctantly moved as it was obvious to all my friends and myself what the future was going to be like..and it wasn't "orange"..lol

Tony, i'm sorry to burst your bubble, but i know a good few of the staff in Sidcup A&E and it's not a stabbing-free zone. If you're in Welling, that's as close to your doorstep as the lastest Peckham stabbing is to mine. I'd conceed that it's less obvious and you are far less likely to get caught up in something as an innocent bystander, but don't kid yourself that nobody has ever been bottled/stabbed in your neck of the woods.

And looking at your own area with rose-tinted specs isn't exactly helping the situation of postcode division, where people in the burbs don't give a shit about the rising violent-crime rate because they (wrongly) assert that it doesn't concern their sleepy little world.

This is a national problem. Cheaper housing and a "British feel", whatever that may be, don't change that. Everywhere feels the effects of different problems, but they don't stand alone.

Asset Wrote:

> Wasn't one of the recent knife attacks in Sidcup?

Yes! I assumed(knowing the "make-up" of the area) that we had our first indigenous teenage murderer out of the 44 since January,2007.I was wrong! The chief suspect and 3/4 accomplises were of the same description making that 40 out of the 44. cases,a remarkable statistic.The others being "Arabic"/"Turkish"=Jimmy Mizen and 1 Asian.....the profile of the assailants(from eye witness accounts of each murder) is nearly always the same I'm afraid(like the suspects in Ben's death the other day).

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> tonys comment about the future of london not being

> orange bothers me the most

Sean:I was trying to make a light-hearted attempt to joke about the situation...if you look at the Asian/Chinese/Jewish Communities,for example,you can see that they are tremendous assets to our Society.They tend to be extremely hard-working and family-orientated and (generally) a credit to their Cultures and Race.I WISH I could say that about every Community since my earliest observations since the Mid-1960's but I can not(in general)..based on over 40 years first-hand experience.

bignumber5 Wrote:

> Tony, i'm sorry to burst your bubble, but i know a

> good few of the staff in Sidcup A&E and it's not a

> stabbing-free zone.......Yes,apparently it has deteriorated but I have never,personally,seen any problem on the streets in or near Sidcup so it can not that prevailant.

>

> And looking at your own area with rose-tinted

> specs isn't exactly helping the situation of

> postcode division, where people in the burbs don't

> give a shit about the rising violent-crime rate

> because they (wrongly) assert that it doesn't

> concern their sleepy little world.

It does not directly affect them anymore but I can assure you that there are "thousands" of Southern Suburbanites who feel extreme resentment that they felt that they were "forced" to move out from areas where Generations of their families had happily lived.I would hazard a guess that 70% of the good burghers of North Kent "emigrated" from South London from The 1960's onwards.They did not all "independently" and miraculously decide they wanted to experience the Green Belt!..They(in the main) were escaping from what they experienced around them in their everyday life,sadly.They wanted their children to have a better chance than they felt they would have had back "home"....as for me 25 years on,I still go back nearly every week thru' nostalgia and love for an area where I had a myriad of great memories during my formative years.

taper Wrote:

> Welling was for a long time the headquarters of

> the BNP, until they were run out of town. Did all

> those "indigenous" chaps contribute to the "British feel" I wonder?

The area is "primarily" composed of ordinary decent people who wanted to buy their own house,live in a peaceful and pleasant green neighbourhood and live on the outskirts of London.They individually and collectively felt that there was a safer "feel" about the whole area and that has proved to be true.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.Most of this people(or their Parents) vividly recall an Inner South London that had the same vibe "back in the day"...

taper Wrote:

> There were quite a few racist stabbings and

> murders in and around Welling when the BNP made it

> their spiritual home.

I think you are spot on there Taper. Not just their spiritual but their actual home of course. I am not going to reply myself directly to this character from the National Front or whatever they call themselves these days. It only encourages them. I do love his reference though, to Jewish people, who he claims are not part of "our community".

That Benjamin Disraeli, diamond Scottish geezer, wuz 'e? Back in the day, 1215, firteeenf censhury, we 'ad sum luvverly pogroms.

Where's the administrator when you need one?

(edited due to crashing link)