What's the Difference between the English/ Welsh, actually?

MadWorld74

Oh, a humourous copycat thread.

Anyway - to address the question posed:

The fundamental difference is the geographical origin of the two peoples.

However, in certain contexts, this difference is irrelevant. For example, if we are examining a person's entitlement to a British passport, then whether they are Welsh or English is of no significance whatsoever. To the best of my knowledge.

Considering their impact on London and the activities they engage in there is no difference and it is therefore not necessary to differentiated between them in any way.

So if the question of a Welsh person?s nationality comes up in a work or social situation it is perfectly acceptable to refer to them as English and be indifferent if they take offence. The same applies vice versa of course.

'ello boyo, yakky dah and all that. My, very good, Welsh friends tell me they are actually English, as when the barbarians invaded (Vikings etc) they pushed the original engish westwards. So the Welsh are the true 'natives' of the British Isles and the rest of you are johnny come lately's. www.museumwales.ac.uk/ if you're down there go, it's brilliant.

Well technically the Germanic cultures pushed out the predominantly Celtic cultures of the British Isles but the Celtic influence was a previous import from Europe as well.

There are also similarities between pre Celtic British burial sights and those of a similar age in Europe suggesting that at least 1 more cultural colonisation had taken place prior to the Celts

Spot on Brendan, though even more technically the 'Celtic' cultures weren't even that Celtic, that being a misnomer heaped on them by a (ironically welsh) chap who actually thought the Celts were Central European Germanics, which they weren't.

Not to say there was no celtic influence, which there was, it was just much much less so than the stock misunderstanding, as given us by EDOldie, would have us think.

And yes ratty the Celts did wander up the Atlantic coast from Spain/southern France.

Right Brendan, remind me to give you that book when next we meet.