Flightpaths over ED

Leaf

The plane flight noise has got better recently. I was noticing them all the time the first six months of the year even when i wasn't thinking about them and every time i looked at the sky i could see 3 or 4. But I think it must be true that they change flight paths every so often because i am hardly noticing them at the moment. Thank bloody goodness. But I'm sure they'll be back. If Boris moves Heathrow to the Thames Estuary I'll love him forever.

You're right Cicely. we must do something. I used to love living in Nunhead because it is so quiet - we have no cars passing in our street - it's actually much quieter than a lot of people I know living in country villages which have a lot of traffic going through the main road. And then the planes which have now disturbed my quiet idyll, which is really annoying. Although they are a bit quieter at the moment. Earlier in the year I nearly went insane at their loudness and frequency. And you're right about stress levels - I can feel mine going up when the planes fly over all the time. Also I've noticed that Myself and my children have so many more problems these days with sinuses and blocked Eustachian tubes etc - I bet you aircraft pollution is contributing to that. God, it makes me so pissed off. Now I'm wishing Idid't bring my kids up in London. Maybe I've given them a lifetime of health problems. Don't get me started on mobile phone masts.

You are not noticing them at the moment because we have been having winds from the East for the last week, this means the landing direction is different. Winds set to change from tomorrow so we can expect the early morning inter-continentals again.

Definitely noticed the flights back over the weekend - one quite low and right over my (Peckham) house every five minutes or so, plus fillers-in higher up and a bit further north every minute or two, all heading resolutely westward. Bless them.

• 1 month later...

I see Tessa Jowell has a meeting in Barry Road next Saturday morning (15 November) which unfortunately I can't go to.

Is anyone else going, and are they going to raise the issue of plane noise?

I have had no response from whichever department she passed my email to aeons ago, and I have raised it again in my feedback sheet to her which was enclosed with the meeting invitation.

I am so sick of this, I was woken by planes in the very early hours of this morning, could not get back to sleep again and they seemed to be very frequent, very low and even louder than usual. I ended up getting up at 7am on a Sunday morning rather than lying in bed awake waiting for the next ******* plane to come over(6)

There is something going on, way more planes coming over. No doubt the pressure from certain groups and politicians out west has started to have some effect, "not in my backyard" has clearly worked.....now they are in yours ! It seems to have all started soon after Boris hit office. Maybe they think we would be a softer touch then the Kew set !

You could use the freedom of information act to get flight data for the last few years, i think it would make an interesting read.

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is something going on, way more planes

> coming over. No doubt the pressure from certain

> groups and politicians out west has started to

> have some effect, "not in my backyard" has clearly

> worked.....now they are in yours ! It seems to

> have all started soon after Boris hit office.

> Maybe they think we would be a softer touch then

> the Kew set !

>

> You could use the freedom of information act to

> get flight data for the last few years, i think it

> would make an interesting read.

are you saying they've stopped flying over kew and are now approaching heathrow via east dulwich instead?

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> I've told you a million times Sue, don't

> exaggerate. The first one was at 5am this morning.

> Much better than the summer!

xxxxxx

I'm sure it was earlier than 5am, PGC (6)

:)

There are 2 flight paths, i think someone else has pointed that out. You can get the maps/routes of the internet. It is up to some one some where which flights take which routes and volume. Wind has been mentioned as a factor in this. However wind or no wind something has changed in the last 6 months it's so obvious.

They come in lower over ED than they used to (exact path is wind-dependent) - I think this is to reduce noise closer to the airport, since they can glide in with less thrust/engine noise. Personally I've never had much sympathy for people that have chosen to live near an airport, so they must fix the problem for us ;)

So the gist of the argument appears to be that because the residents of West London have been organised and petitioned successfully, we in South London suffer a little bit more? But if we in South London petition more successfully then the people in West London suffer a little bit more?

Wow....solidarity brothers and sisters

Jeremy Wrote:

> Strange... I have never, ever been troubled - let

> alone woken up - by a plane, all the time I've

> lived in East Dulwich and Camberwell.

xxxxxx

You must either sleep very soundly or have double or treble glazing. Or sleep on the ground floor where maybe the noise from the planes is less obvious?

The first plane on Sunday morning was 4am and it was a particularly noisy beast; I did look at my clock and I was in a slightly bad mood for the rest of the day. Still, previously no postings since the end of September, so, we've had quite a long break. I have been angry about the governments blatant disregard for hard working Londoners in the past, the lies and broken promises about nighttime flights. But, I have learnt to accept it as an inevitable force, like gravity. No point in trying to do anything about it. They don't care about us.

They appeared to be coming in abnormally low on Sunday morning to avoid the particularly dense cloud. The cloud then reflected the noise back to ED resident's bedrooms.

(Like most of the posts in this thread, this is pure speculation, with no scientific basis.)

You can see at least the previous day's flights charted at http://lhr.webtrak-lochard.com/ , at up to 10x real-time.

Selecting Lewisham gives you a map showing the ED area. Here are the ones appearing 03:55-05:30 on Sunday 9/11.

I've listed time, height in feet, transit point, and approx bearing. None of these early flight tags included a flight number.

The Avondale Rise ones tend to be just north of AR and of the top of Dog Kennel Hill. The 05:00 one is probably on another, more southerly, main westbound path that we sometimes notice over ED. The ones going over the Dulwich park area were coming from the SE.

When I looked at some daytime paths, there was another very steady stream filtering in just north of Camberwell Green. I wonder if both the Camberwell and Avondale streams are shifted south in some wind conditions, giving us the stream over the LL/EDGrove junction.

4:30 4500 Avondale Rise 270

4:33 4400 Avondale 270

4:36 4400 Avondale 270

4:39 4300 Avondale 270

4:42 4200 Court Lane 285

4:51 4100 Burbage Rd 295

4:57 3700 Avondale Rise almost due west

5:00 3200 Jn, LL + ED Grove ~ 275

5:03 3800 Avondale 270

5:05 4500 Avondale 270

5:09 4500 Avondale 270

5:13 4000 Avondale 270

5:16 3900 Avondale 270

5:19 4500 Avondale 270

5:22 4300 Avondale 270

5:30 4400 Just s of Avondale ~ 270

Cor, this don't half beat collecting train numbers.

[Edit: addendum: note that the site seeks to log only Heathrow flights; any others will be incidental extras]