Flightpaths over ED

Leaf

Probably because the impact of no flights on the economy and already shaky airline bottomlines, combined with the ease of getting lots of lovely footage of knackered people hanging around airports plus lots of personal misery stories to exploit and blame other countries for their 'airside' woes is a much better media option than someone getting a lie-in.

I live under one of the flight paths crossing ED but must have poorer hearing than I realised since the noise from planes is far exceeded by traffic and, aside from the fact that I was supposed to be on a plane on Friday, I couldn't have told you they weren't flying since here, at least, there's no appreciable difference in background noise.

Sorry about your flight but the difference in noise is quite incredible and quite fabulous.

Usually sitting in the garden on a sunny cloudless involves pauses in the conversation while 747s thunder overhead. Yesterday was bliss.

Applespider Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Probably because the impact of no flights on the

> economy and already shaky airline bottomlines,

> combined with the ease of getting lots of lovely

> footage of knackered people hanging around

> airports plus lots of personal misery stories to

> exploit and blame other countries for their

> 'airside' woes is a much better media option than

> someone getting a lie-in.

>

> I live under one of the flight paths crossing ED

> but must have poorer hearing than I realised since

> the noise from planes is far exceeded by traffic

> and, aside from the fact that I was supposed to be

> on a plane on Friday, I couldn't have told you

> they weren't flying since here, at least, there's

> no appreciable difference in background noise.

In the Sunday Times today it has been suggested that the absence of planes over London might help Boris Johnson to make his case for a new London airport in the Thames Estuary - taking most flights out over the sea rather than land and giving many os us the noise free benefits that this current crisis has delivered.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I never, ever hear the planes. Even when I'm

> outside, I barely notice them. I don't think

> there's anything wrong with my hearing...

Well done you!

Hello everyone,

Spare a thought for us plane spotters - I have spend the last two years listing all of the aircraft nationalities and airlines that have flown over my garden and what an extremely interesting time I have had. It is a small price to pay, being woken up at 4.45am and having the noise of planes drowning out the TV until 10.00pm+, to see those amazing machines overhead.

If the situation does not change soon I am sorry to say that I will have to GET A LIFE!

yours mornfully,

I had to go ride around Heathrow, West Drayton, Uxbridge, Sipson, Harmondsworth yesterday on the motorbike.

It was SO WEIRD! Not just the lack of planes but the clear blue sky unlined by vapour trails. Still bloody noisy though, specially around the Grand Union Canal at Cowley / Yiewsley where my mate lives on a narrowboat. BIRDS!

My heart goes out to all those affected by this.

Is there any website we can join to offer stranded broke people who can't get back to their own countries, a place to stay for a few days? War spirit and all that?

Is there any website we can join to offer stranded broke people who can't get back to their own countries, a place to stay for a few days? War spirit and all that?

I heard that Dan Snow (the TV historian) has attempted to set up a small Dunkirk type of operation to rescue some of those stranded in Europe - but that it has foundered on the need for insurance, indemnity forms and other assorted paperwork.

Latest news (on Sky News)...

Airports will be allowed to operate 24h a day to clear flight backlog when British airspace opens tomorrow.

So we are all going to pay a mighty price for the peace and quiet at the weekend.

Stock up on your ear-plugs for all night 747 flights overhead for the next few weeks!!!

Depends where you live. We hardly hear honking from the house and only hear the occasional siren. You guys are obviously nearer a main road and not underneath the flightpath. If you live towards the bottom end of LL or near Goose Green on the SE15 side or between LL and Peckham Rye Park, you will hear the planes big time! Particularly when sitting in the garden. So if you honestly cant believe that people hear planes so much, you are somewhere else. Come visit on a cloudless day and believe.

You must be heavy sleepers. Maybe having small children is the factor; if you sleep on high alert anyway because children tend to train your brain that way, then probably more sensitive to sound. I can tell you that some of the planes around 5 am are huge, with roaring engines, so loud that I feel like I'm sleeping on the runway at Heathrow ....... many mornings I've cursed them. And they are really frequent too. Did I not read somewhere that two flight paths basically connect at a point somewhere around here (I'm pretty sure it's over my house).

Oh the luck of those who sleep without hearing them.

I live near PRP and they bother me a lot, particularly the string of jumbos at 4.30 - 5. I'm sorry for those stranded or in the industry but it's been a great respite. I think the one no-flight-day per month idea is a vote-winner.