Might Be opening a New Bar/Cafe in E.Dulwich

nico1

Just to inform you about the venue, I am not saying sorry as I do not want to get in trouble for putting this post up.

As for the Woolwich site, I did actually go for that unit bat I was turned down as a large company was interested and ATISREAL(the agent)accepted them over everyone else. I believe it was to be a betting office.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Before anyone follows that advice I would like to

> see more people vote with their wallet and visit

>

> Hoopers

> The Duke

> Nuns Head

> Montpelier

>

> more often

>

> I'm fed up of being in a tiny group in those

> places - all of them offer something different to

> the LL experience but we are poor at supporting

> them I reckon

xxxxxxx

Absolutely agree, Nyge and I were the only people in Hoopers the other Sunday night, what a waste of a great space and great beer :-S

Mind you we did get a bit addicted to the machine which has a music quiz :))

The Goose is putting on a gig in Hoopers on Friday 5 September, with The Woodlarks and Salt&Blue, plus DJs, if you've never been there come on down, it will be good (and FREE ENTRY!) - shameless plug, moi, would I?? :))

I would love something with a shabby, continental-style alternative vibe - a bit like the bars you get in parts of East London or the Oberkampf/Canal St Martin districts of Paris. I reckon the last thing we need is another tacky generic Black Cherry/Bishop/Adventure type place. All these bars are so boring! I think if you make your bar a bit quirky you'll be onto a winner.

We have had loads of rumours of veggie places - for which there seems to be much demand but sadly nothing has come to fruition so far. So I think if you serve some decent veggie bar snacks (not the usual soggy microwaved beanburger) you will tap that market too. That's my advice!

Not that anyone has had the delights of the adventure bar .... but if you aim for the exact opposite in terms of exterior decor... that's a good start I reckon (IMO). YMCA fan I am not!

Service Service Service ... nothing puts me off somewhere quicker than being ignored or staff with bad attitude.... so so glad you have said that's high on the list.

As for mixing day time and evening ..... it seems quite tricky. If you are primarily seen as a nightime venue then you CAN seem to break into the daytime market too. But try it the other way around and the Lane Cafe or Le Chandelier - never seems to have many / any in the evening....

So now I'm intrigued, dare I say excited .... and can't wait for something a little different .. as you seem to be aiming for.

Best of luck....

Spend extra money on making the ladies toilets excellent. The ladies will appreciate it and return. If the ladies return the gents will return. Simple.

And don't charge ?3.20 for an orange juice and lemonade.

Somewhere like a small Chapter Arts Centre in Cardiff would be good. There's nothing like that round here. Obviously I don't know how big or small you intend to be. On a smaller scale, the Troubadour in Earls Court is a brill place. Something like that here please!

http://www.troubadour.co.uk/

Please ensure the place has 'character', and possibly encourage a bohemian vibe, which nowhere round here currently has.

I think it is really good that you came on here asking what people want. Shame a few other places didn't do that....er, Davina?

I agree with Mark about the toilets. Toilets should be kept clean and looked after. The troubadour have an interesting concept when it comes to toilets, one area split between ladies and gents. It is one of the Prince's drinking grounds though.

Please can you be careful if you do cocktails that it doesn't create huge queues at the bar as the bar staff try and make complicated cocktails by following 'recipe' lists (seems to happen a lot now).

Gap between The Plough and the rest of LL after the Mag closing.

Read this thread with interest. You can't create atmosphere can you? Only the people who visit, can. I know decor and lighting create atmosphere but they're things that can be changed with the types of people coming. I would ask for to NOT have music. Sorry but lots of pubs and bars do music and even my beloved Clockhouse has fabulous music (lots of rock from 70s 80s and contemporary stuff too) but they do at least have the music turned down low so you can have a good conversation should you so wish. Music creates atmosphere of course too. So it's all a balancing act innit.

I really wish you well with this Nico and look forward to what happens. I am a real ale drinker and also cider does me nice as well so please offer more than one type of real ale also as requested by someone else above!

I don't want to sound middle aged (is 35 middle aged?) but I totally agree re music volume and being able to hold a converstaion - I don't think it's a volume thing, it's more to do with acoustics - my recommendation is get an accoustic consultant involved at the very start of the design phase

The Bishop is a perfect example of a bar with great music but awful accoustics - in certain seats the din of talking is deafening and the music (which is loud) is unidentifiable, whilst the person just inches away from you cannot be heard at all!

PeckhamRose Wrote:

>

> I would ask for to NOT

> have music. Sorry but lots of pubs and bars do

> music and even my beloved Clockhouse has fabulous

> music (lots of rock from 70s 80s and contemporary

> stuff too) but they do at least have the music

> turned down low so you can have a good

> conversation should you so wish. Music creates

> atmosphere of course too. So it's all a balancing

> act innit.

>

>

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> >

> Before anyone follows that advice I would like to

> see more people vote with their wallet and visit

>

> Hoopers

> The Duke

> Nuns Head

> Montpelier

>

> more often

>

> I'm fed up of being in a tiny group in those

> places - all of them offer something different to

> the LL experience but we are poor at supporting

> them I reckon

Mr MacG is correct, people are, by and large flock type creatures and want to see and be seen, if you have very deep pockets and a winning formula then off piste could work for you but don't forget the old adage, Location, location , location.

I wish you well in your venture.

Jukebox is a great idea - funny how things like this, which once were requisite, now feel like unexpected luxuries

Inside 72 was class, and really provided a good alternative to the other bars on LL (which are also great in their own right) Perhaps, if your staff are up to it, you could just get them to plug in their ipods or summat and create a much more eclectic freewheeling, and personable style to your place. Just an idea

As long as it's late licence, has a personality of it's own (and not just an amalgam of Black Cherry and The Bishop) you should do well. Good luck to you and we'll all be there on opening night fo defo.

is say go for it because you clearly have a love of the area and a desire to do this - as Elvis once said, "ambition is a dream with a V8 engine"

I don't go to pubs and bars much, but I know what I like. I'd say please pay attention to overloud music, ample space between seats, which should be comfortable and not low (even for average height people, ultra-low sofas are bloody uncomfy!), adequate ventilation and temperature control (who wants to sweat into their daiquiri?), personable service by people who understand how to serve drinks properly and can speak English well enough to have a conversation with the clients, and no bouncers.

If your place were a bit like The Drum (minus its Why Don't You aspect) or The Holy Drinker in Clapham with elements of Inside 72 and proudly boasting all of the above requirements, Rita, Emily and I might just pop in for a sherry or two. Nero

Ive thought long and hard about the bouncer thing, I agree, In an ideal world it would be better without bouncers. Having some big lump at the door gives a certain image,inside 72 never had bouncers and they never seemed to have trouble,ok people had there faults with it but it wasnt troublesome in that way. Ladies toilets, I have already thought to make it a bit more lux than the current Dulwich trend. The state of some toilets are a joke but the people using the places have to take some responsibility. Comfy seating,and space management, I understand and will bear it in mind, however the bar will be very small as most of you know what is available in Dulwich and the larger the site the more ridiculous the rent.I want it to be intimate and eclectic where people feel relaxed.