How to say.... (street name)

Nero

Re Pepys Road, here's an old rhyme on the subject (by the way, I go with Peeps, peeps):

There are people I'm told, some say there are heaps,

Who speak of the talkative Samuel as "Peeps";

And some so precise and pedantic their step is,

Who call the delightful old diarist " Peppis";

But those I think right, and I follow their steps

Ever mention the garrulous gossip as "Pepps. "

Yet Wheatley declares that the truth still escapes,

For Pepys was not "Pepps" nor "Peeps"; he was "Papes."

I went to school with a girl from Ondine Road + her grandparents had lived in the road for well over 50 years + pronounced it On-dyne. I belive On-deen is correct though.

Saying that, everyone up my way (Henslowe Road) has always said Wheet-lee Road for the 45 years or so my parents have been there. I've also heard quite a few people referring to Whateley Road as the 'tea gardens'. Apparently years ago it used to be really scruffy + people used to chuck the contents of their teapots in to the street from their front gardens.

professordingo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for that spot of abuse VBC - I find that

> offensive. Some of us find discussions like this

> interesting and informative.

>

>

No need to find to abusive - it was a joke.

I agree, I am finding it immensely interesting. Especially the etymology, history and the reasons behind them.

It just reminded me of something my old English professer used to say, that's all.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Is that pronounced "pee er" or "pee-ear"

> I always pronounced it the way Friern in Friern

> Barnet. "Free urn"

> Now, how dya pronounce De Crespigny?

I know someone with the last name De Crespigny. She pronounces it De Crepknee

I work on De Crespigny Park and we often get people sending mail to us at Discrepancy Park (which is quite apt really as it often comes from a discrepancy between the way we say it over the phone and the way the person on the other end hears it... ).

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> It's a corruption of the name of the bloke who

> worked for Alleyn - or something like that. Based

> on the one d, I pronounce it A-dys as opposed to

> Addies.

Eynella Road is meant to be a corruption of Alleyn backwards

...and the 'ch' is voiced ('dj' not 'tch'). Or does anybody pronounce it DULL-itch (rather than DULL-idj)? I rather like DULL-witch, though (I see a fellow forumite already uses this name). I'm intrigued by Whately Rd being called the Tea Gardens. I wonder what its 21st-century equivalent should be (Teabag Gardens? Fag-end Gardens? At the LL end, anyway.)