Best restaurant in SE London?

Adam

Well said, Sue.

On topic, another vote here for the Lobster Pot.

On the ongoing Locale/SiMangia comparison, I've tried Locale a couple of times, and with judicious ordering you can either have a slap-up special occasion meal, or a weeknight pizza outing and tailor the bill accordingly. Great pizzas, good salads, good risotto. I agree that some of the extras are a bit frighteningly priced. I tried Si Mangia recently for the first time, and perhaps inevitably after all the great reviews, was disappointed. The food ranged from good/pleasant (pasta with seafood) to poor (horrid starter, mass-produced dessert), so although it wasn't expensive it wasn't great. However, the service was indeed very good and friendly, and when they got the bill wrong, they were polite and apologetic and quick to fix. Have to admit that my experience was coloured by sitting on the terrace and being continuously smoked upon by almost every other table, so perhaps I'm not being wholly fair.

I've started to champion Caravaggio's on Camberwell Church Street. Very good basic Italian food with some great specials, good service, good atmosphere and not too painful a bill, Not haute cuisine but great for an evening out.

ceefer99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

what about Hisars..

> barbeque food without the stress of cooking it

> yourself

Hisars is not brilliant for veggies - Mr Wee Quinnie ordered a veggie moussaka and was given a meat one. Urggh! The veggie mains in there are not great, alto' the mezzes are OK.

Best in the general area... Rosendale, Franklins, Number 22, The Palmerston, Dragon Castle... If you're going a bit further afield - Upstairs, Chez Bruce, Roast, Baltic, Lobster Pot... I know we said no Indians but Babur & Tandoori Nights are both really good...

Agree with most of the names suggested here -the palmerston (defo prefer the back room too), franklins and rosendale for local ones, along with Babur and Caravaggio's.

Definitely chez bruce for somewhere outside of the area -one of my favourite restaurants. Another one I like is Trinity in Clapham. Really lovely and very well priced. would highly recommend.

Feel I should put my usual word in for Ganapati. I love the place, although, I wish they'd change the menu or add some dishes, as I've had everything on there that I'll eat more than once. It is great though, and their homemade garlic relish is amazing! (they sell jars of it).

I personally can't speak for Le Moulin, but everyone I know who has been there has said the food has been great. Don't judge a book by it's retro cover!

Another word in for Ganapati - but Keef, I'm sure they do change their menu - I went once and they didn't have my favourite - I mentioned I was disappointed - when our order came, they'd made me up a little dish of it specially, and didn't charge.

Now that's service :)

I think the menu has changed, but I'm not sure how often. To be fair to them, I really don't like fish, so that does count half of the menu out for me!

The chicken dishes they do are lovely! And their flat breads are the absolute bollocks! (that's a good thing)

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anchor & Hope, The Cut, Waterloo.

>

> Lobster Pot, Kennington.

Didn't this used to be a pub? Must have come a long way since the days it catered for us students, from the College accross the road. :)-D