Best Curry in East Dulwich

ms_1316

I must say I am surprised at the number of people raving about Ganapati, after several attempts I have yet to have a decent meal and some dishes are among the worst south Indian food I have eaten in this country. The total lack of ambience, the awful attitude and teeny portions don't make for a great night. Will still be heading North for decent south Indian fare.

You must have been really really unlucky fluffy, we've always had excellent meals, quite large enough portions, and very friendly service.

I guess ambience is subjective, but I've always liked the atmosphere in Ganapati.

Tandoori Nights - went once, had a v dodgy tummy afterwards so haven't returned since... not saying that wasn't an isolated incident mind

Surma - mediocre (at best!) over-creamed/ghee-ed and under-seasoned food served by staff who couldn't care less if you were there or not and actually seem annoyed that you are! (see my comments yesterday here)

Dulwich Tandoori - consistently good, v friendly staff

Jaflong - only recently discovered, v tasty food and charming attentive staff... relatively slow service but at least it reassures you that the food is being cooked properly!

Swadesh - also nice food but haven't been when it's not been 50% off food so not sure as to normal value... also a bit too far down the other end of LL for lazy folks like us!! ;-)

i agree pam, i think tarafitness has been unlucky...i use it because they don't overghee (good word by the way) their dishes.

i have to say I have only eaten in once (usually get delivery), and that was a couple of weeks ago and the staff were excellent- attentive and friendly.

The Curry Cabin has always been my first choice - their Dansak and Vindaloo dishes may be standard fare but are always well done - problem I have with wandering down the Lane to the Surma et al is that the smell of the Hisar's charcoal pit interferes with my intent and draws me there like a moth to a flame... and that's enough barbecued lamb already.

Of the Lordship Lane lot, Tandoori Nights is probably the best food, but they've crammed too many tables in and I often feel like I'm eating in someone's living room.

Surma is good, so too Mirash (which I get my takeaways from), but was disappointed in a recent trip to East Dulwich Tandoori, where I had a particularly greasy meal. Had a few takeaways from Omrith after hearing good things, but been disappointed every time. There's something very heavy handed about their spicing.

I love Ganapati. It's the only local one I'd recommend unreservedly.

I found Dulwich Tandoori to be deeply average. Tandoori Nights is above average, but still variable. Ganapati is brilliant, but have had some odd staff experiences there. Surma do great takeaways, somehow. Not been to Curry Cabin in years.

Basically, it's a bit like hairdressers, innit.

Depends what chef is on, what dish you order, what your preferences are, whether the chef/cutter is having a good day.

All you can go on is your personal experience, which judging just by the posts on this thread varies wildly from person to person!

So as far as listening to others' recommendations goes, you might as well make a list of East Dulwich curry houses and stick a pin in to make your choice :)

Am surprised no one mentions the Mirash Tandoori on Grove Vale just past the Goose Green roundabout.

Because it's 'off Broadway' of Lordship Lane most people dont seem to want to try it but after trying all the places mentioned I never go anywhere else for curry in East Dulwich and have been going there for years

(though Ganapati is fantastic !)

Jaflong is by far the best on price and quality. It's never swimming in ghee, and the portions are generous, chilled atmosphere and the customer service is great. I haven't ventured into veer zera yet, any thoughts?