Best Curry in East Dulwich

ms_1316

I received Omriths menu through the door the other day and before reading about it on this forum fancied trying it, the postive reveiws on here made me want to try it even more. Tonight I gave it a whirl I was very impressed, I have had Curry's at 80% of Lordship Lane's curry houses and Omrith is actually the closest to my flat so this is a bonus.

My impressions are excellent, all the dishes were very good and one was exceptional (Delhi Ka Makhan - Creamy dish with Coconut & Curry) & literally had my girlfrined drueling. I will definetley go back and this will be my regular curry haunt from now on as the extensive list of specialities will take some time to work through.

Went to Curry Cabin again last night, and again had an excellent meal :)

We've tried various dishes and have never had anything which was not very good.

After Ganapati, which is a bit of a trek, this is now our curry house of choice in ED. Has overtaken Tandoori Nights (ironically, since we first went there only because Tandoori Nights c****d up and double booked our table .....)

But I've never been to Omrith, where is it?

Although not an expert on Lordship Lane curries I thought I'd chip in with a few recommendations slightly further afield but perhaps convienient for some after work.

In August I visited Clifton Restuarant in Canary Wharf - on Westferry Road about 2 mins walk from Heron Quays, and I was very impressed with quality and price. So if you're in that area and looking for a bite I'd definately recommend that place.

The "Original Lahore Kebab House" on Commercial Road (about 10 mins walk from Aldgate East) is also a winner - and cheap. Been there many times, even saw Jeffrey Archer in there once eating the night before his court case that sent him to prison.

As for Brick Lane I think it's very hit and miss.

It's not in East Dulwich and I have said it before but Babur really is fantastic...and only a short bus ride away.

I was there on Sunday for the buffet... a concept I usually avoid like the plague... but it was once again outstanding.

Go. Now. You won't regret it.

(And yes, their wines are fantastic... as are their cocktails, and even their mocktails!)

ok so lets get some perspective on this...where does ED rate on the world curry league tables?

i would say that Tandoori nights just about scrapes into my premier league, but that's it. i think the rest are languishing in league 1 somewhere... (excuse the football analogy)

however, ready to be shot down...

JimmyD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ok so lets get some perspective on this...where

> does ED rate on the world curry league tables?

> i would say that Tandoori nights just about

> scrapes into my premier league, but that's it. i

> think the rest are languishing in league 1

> somewhere... (excuse the football analogy)

>

> however, ready to be shot down...

xxxxx

JimmyD, shooting you down with one word - Ganapati :)

Miles better than Tandoori Nights. In a class above premier league :))

Went a few weeks back. Had a generally good time, they have interesting things on the menu that you dont find in a normal curry house. My food was hot and very tasty, my girlfriends tandori chicken was slightly cold. The side dishes were excellent. Very attentive staff and we would go back.

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I really don't get the thing with Ganapati.

> Admittedly I have only been once but I was

> distinctly underwhelmed.

xxxxx

Well if you're after something like a bog standard vindaloo or a biryani, Ganapati isn't the place to go.

If you're after really excellent Indian food which tastes of something other than chilli and curry powder, then Ganapati is the place to go.

Unless maybe they had an off night when you went, but I've been there loads of times and it's always been consistently good.

But hey, you pays your money and you makes your choice, it would be a dull old world if we all liked the same things, blah blah etc etc :)

I finally went to Ganapati last night with the ex husband and two children. Loved the place, very cute and cosy, the people were fab and friendly. The menu is fairly limited, my youngest who doesn't like coconut struggled to find something suitable.

The quality of food was really good, the flavours of some of the dishes were Delicious. It felt like home cooking in a way which is definitely not a knock.

Yes I like....Omrith may just top it though.

Well if you're after something like a bog standard vindaloo or a biryani, Ganapati isn't the place to go.

If you're after really excellent Indian food which tastes of something other than chilli and curry powder, then Ganapati is the place to go.

Somewhat patronising don't you think Sue? You are implying that I don't know what I'm talking about.