Best Curry in East Dulwich

ms_1316

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The only time I went to Mirash it was horrid.

> Indifferent food and uncomfortable chairs.

>

> As I say - everybody's opinion is different - the

> only way is to try places yourself and make up

> your own mind!

They seem to change chefs: one is very good, the other not so.

Another vote for Babur in Brockley Rise (www.babur.info)- one of the best Indian restaurants in London, great delivery too. Not quite in East Dulwich, but can't be more than a mile from the SE22 border and no question it's worth the extra distance.

>

Seconded. It's our weekly take-away of choice. But it's not in Peckham, it's opposite the Clock House at the bottom of Barry Road.

Babur take-away is also great, especially the meat thali, which is a bit of a bargain for all the tasty chicken ticka, tandoori lamb, and even a prawn dish you get for the ?12.

And Omrith makes similarly delicious food.

Ganapati is rubbish. I had an awful meal in there. Bland food, weird student-like ambience.... Certainly would never go back and not sure why people rave about it. Omrith at the top of Forest Hill Road should be checked out. The service can be random but the food is generally excellent, different to your usual but worth it.

Yes, sadly, most of the curry houses on LL are pretty standard (as in your trad 'Anglo' curry). Dulwich Tandoori about six years ago was very good, but whoever the chef was, at that time, upped sticks and it hasn't been the same since. (my mate and i still get glassy eyed when recalling his Chicken Tikka Balti..) If you want something a bit different, then yes, Ganapati is the way to go. I'm currently working in Leicester till the end of May.. Oh sweet, Brahma! The scales have fallen from my eyes. The curries i'm trying there are out of this world! A great selection of Southern Indian (Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu) and Gujarati restaurants (mainly from the West and primarily vegetarian). Even the 'standard' curry houses are pretty special. Spoilt for life.. I think the only time i'll be going back to any of the curry houses on LL is after a few pints.

Frankito Wrote:

> Ganapati is rubbish. I had an awful meal in there.

> Bland food, weird student-like ambience....

> Certainly would never go back and not sure why

> people rave about it.

xxxxxxxxxx

You dismiss it as rubbish on the basis of one "bland" meal you didn't like?

What was it?

Most of these places are inconsistent - that's the problem. I've been to Ganapati twice, the first time was really good, but the second time we were both served tough meat in bland sauces. Similarly, the food was delicious on our first trip to Omrith, but the next time it was laughably bad and the place was filthy. Tandoori Nights is generally good, but we've had one or two bad dishes there too.

I'd say Tandoori Nights consistently has the highest standards, albeit they may have the odd wobble. I'd agree about Ganapati; I've had 2 excellent meals there and one very average one, along with some dodgy service.

My major bete noir is spinach paneer which is too creamy, which I think is vile and wrong. I think it's only the Surma which does a non-creamy one, although I can't be sure. You're right, joealessi, most places around ED are pretty similar really. Few places really stand out.

I would have always said ganapati, until Indian mischief.... Wow! Not the cheepest, but the freshest and most dynamically tasting curry around! I would also like to add that cooper of the "dogfather", on north cross road, does the best hangover cure EVER, with the "Slumdog".

Tandoori Nights and Ganapati are really good but has anyone been to Babur(Brockley Rise, SE23 1JP)? I haven't been YET but I read about them in...Suffolk of all places.

Looks ..tasty but would love to hear about from you guys! L

Maybe over-crowded because people like it and want to go there?

It's a very small place, so I'm not sure how else it could be "set up"?

I tried to arrange a family meal there, they wouldn't take a booking for an evening meal because they said it wouldn't be fair on other people to have a big party (as in numbers of people). I thought that was quite refreshing. Some places would just have taken the money.

Each to their own, I guess. I think it's cosy and friendly and I like the food.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Most of these places are inconsistent - that's the

> problem.

Completely agree. Omrith has been both delicious (two times) and just awful (once) in my experience. Not exactly encouraging.