ED Deli closing

Which unit Louisa-- the Irish Shop or Speedo Pizza? The new Italian place confirmed they were opening up on LL but I didn't bother to ask which unit they were taking so it could actually be either I suppose.

I have a hard time believing Kat Kidstone is opening here. That doesn't seem to makes sense for a shop like that.

Don't take my word for it ZT, ask any number of retailers why they do not come to LL. It's because it lacks sufficient footfall for many business models. I know this unfashionable reality doesn't fit neatly into the whole ethos of estate agent gobbledegook version of ED.

Louisa.

It's just off the beat and track. The train station is a fair walk from our high street, it's not a destination as such. It's not like Clapham Junction, Brixton, Lewisham even Peckham. All those places are destinations for shopping. ED is not, and this is why we are comparably not as busy.

Louisa.

I'd say it is yes. For the people who use it, Rye Lane is much more of a destination shopping experience than around here. For a start it's much better connected with the train station in the centre of the high street. It has plenty of parking too, and bigger retail units. It may not be everyone's cup of tea (and certainly not mine) but by far it is more of a destination shop than LL.

Louisa.

Blimey, I agree with Louisa :) No one would venture to East Dulwich for clothes, shoes or the like during the week. It tends to be the 'from home workers' (I'm one if anyone fancies a coffee to break the monotony), nannies, and people on days off or retired. It's like someone said earlier, if they want clothes they'll go into town or shop online. A friend who joined me for a drink last Monday afternoon needed cheap clothes for travelling and travel essentials. Asked if there was anything in Dulwich and all I could suggest was Sainsbury's or Peckham. She was off to Tooting as it has a bigger Primark. No one comes to Dulwich for nights out (locals will) but they will go to Clapham. Although that may change with a Picturehouse coming. East Dulwich is great for us locals as we have the essentials but I just cannot see Cath Kidston making business during the week and I'm not sure people will travel here for it as they have much more choice in town or other places.

I don't think many people come to ED in its present format for nights out from elsewhere, you'd be deluded in thinking they do, in great numbers anyway. The extent to which the area is overrated as a night out is summed up by the likes of Draft House and Adventure Bar closing down. Says it all really.

Louisa.