> local opinion.

>

> People were also concerned that it took money away

> from the high street. A local independent run by

> locals channels its profits back into the local

> community. In Nero's case it simply goes to

> anonymous shareholders.

>

> So, no, not the same as any other outlet.

DC,

I'm not sure why you're getting so agressive? There's a time and a place for agression and I'm not sure an Internet forum is it.

In response though, regardless of the nuances of how Cafe Nero went about gaining planning permission, its still full most of the time. You might not have been happy with the way things were done, however, no one seems to care now do they. Maybe you should go and have a word?

Ron 70

Costa Coffee have no interest in ED. They've been looking at Forest Hill and Brockley station areas for some time though but are yet to find a suitable location. So fear not chain-free warriors, they're not taking on the former deli site.

Louisa.

Ron

I'm not being aggressive - just pointing out that it seems an odd thing to say you weren't around when something happened but then proceed to voice an opinion on it.

Local feeling was very much against it.

Whether people now use it is by the by. Many may be recent arrivals. Others may have not been aware of the furore. Few will be hypocrites.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Local feeling was very much against it.

Exaggeration.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,5628,5737

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,9789,10014

They took liberties over planning permission and people thought that was poor form, but to suggest that "local opinion" was generally (let alone very much) against it being there isn't true (or at least you've got no way of knowing if it was true unless you went on a doorstepping campaign I don't know about).

Some people didn't want them there (local businesses like The Black Cherry (RIP) for example). But plenty of poeple seemed happy to have them.

Plus this forum was tiny back then and can't be taken as a representation of what the people of ED were thinking at the time.

david_carnell Wrote:

> Ron

>

> I'm not being aggressive - just pointing out that

> it seems an odd thing to say you weren't around

> when something happened but then proceed to voice

> an opinion on it.

>

> Local feeling was very much against it.

>

> Whether people now use it is by the by. Many may

> be recent arrivals. Others may have not been aware

> of the furore. Few will be hypocrites.

DC

At the risk of sounding pedantic, surely you don't have to have been around when something happened to voice an opinion on it? I wasn't in Tiananmen Square in 1989 but I have an opinion on it.

Ron70

david_carnell Wrote:

> At the risk of sounding pedantic, Ron, I would

> suggest equating Tiananmen Square to a Cafe Nero

> might be an exercise in hyperbole.

>

> Anyway, my memory seems to be going in

> early-middle-age as Otta has corrected me.

>

> So I respectfully retract.

DC

I'm pretty sure I didnt compare Tiananmem Sq to Cafe Nero? I'd like to have let that slide...but I couldn't.

Ron70

david_carnell Wrote:

> Anyway, my memory seems to be going in

> early-middle-age as Otta has corrected me.

>

> So I respectfully retract.

Just to clarify, I don't know how Nero would have faired if a poll had been taken, I'm not suggesting a majority defo wanted them, just that we don't know that a majority didn't.

Wow. Over a coffee shop.

Can I just ask, at the risk of adding more froth to this hot coffee school yard scuffle, how do local shops, by contrast to the nasty multiples, pump their profits back to the local community? Never heard such toss in my life.

Please enlighten me as to how local shops for local people are so charitable? Surely they're businesses there to make profit, just like the neros of this world? I've not met a successful retailer that runs their business for the good of the community although I have worked with big nationals, including supermarkets, that take social responsibility very seriously and pump millions of pounds into charitable causes.

As an aside, Nero employs more people in east d than say the chandelier. That's more "locals" with money to spend "locally".

Anyway, for what it's worth, ed deli is to be a tortilla.