ED Deli closing

Office leases more so than retail and particularly so for small tenants and even more so outside of central London. Large tenants won't get a break clause for 10 years. A typical supermarket lease is 25 years during which time the landlord cannot remove them though there will typically be rent-reviews every 5 years (upwards only) that both parties are contractually obligated to agree.

LM, yes I'd only been looking at office and small shop leases.

As for the upward only rent increase ours is pegged to the RPI and is twice in the 10 yrs. I have a commercial property lawyer organising all the terms and negotiating the lease and I think he's been pretty good so far.

It's a long term commitment and the wrong lease can cause a lot of problems for a business, so I think it makes sense to pay for a decent lawyer at the outset.

I know a chav with a law degree. Think she's quite handy

(Edited to add there will be a lot of people reading that who won't know who I'm referring to and not just plucking the c word out of the air.... So trust me when I'm not aiming that at any societal group)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AA rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh christ, you're probably right. Costa would make

> sense. I really hope not. Wasn't there a (failed)

> campaign to keep Neros opening up in the area.

> Maybe it's time to dust off the placards.

- If there was a protest against Cafe Nero (I didn't live here before Cafe Nero arrived)I'd suggest it wasn't really representative of the majority of ED residents, borne out by the fact that it's generally pretty busy.

- I don't really get why there would be a protest against a coffe shop. If you don't like it, noones going to force you to go there. If no one goes it'll close, if lots of people go,it'll stay open...same as any other outlet.

Ron70

Ron

As you weren't here you won't know what you're talking about.

One of the biggest issues that people protested against was the lack of planning permission. Nero just did the work and then applied retrospectively. Using the financial and legal clout of a multinational they bulldozed through local opinion.

People were also concerned that it took money away from the high street. A local independent run by locals channels its profits back into the local community. In Nero's case it simply goes to anonymous shareholders.

So, no, not the same as any other outlet.