nunhead village vs east dulwich

Whenever I'm working from home I pop into the Golden Anchor for lunch - Such good jerk chicken and rice.

The only restaurant in Nunhead worth mentioning is the Thai attached to Skehans pub, and that's actually in Telegraph Hill.

antantant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whenever I'm working from home I pop into the

> Golden Anchor for lunch - Such good jerk chicken

> and rice.

>

> The only restaurant in Nunhead worth mentioning is

> the Thai attached to Skehans pub, and that's

> actually in Telegraph Hill.

Agree on both counts.

Nunhead home to Sopers and Ayres, independent local institutions which are my main reasons for visiting the place on a regular basis. Anyone know what happened to Rudds green grocers? Another local institution? It seems to have disappeared?

Louisa.

stevie_son Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ayer's sausage rolls make the baby jesus cry with

> joy. (Just ignore the 'translucent from grease'

> wrapper)

Try the ones from Kindred in Herne Hill. They are superior to Ayre's.

There is another pub in Nunhead of some note that doesn't get mentioned often.

The splendidly named Telegraph at the Earl of Derby.

It's on Dennett's Road, does excellent beer and food and has a lovely atmosphere complete with Soviet tank blueprints on the wall. What more could you want?

http://www.remarkablerestaurants.co.uk/remarkable-restaurants-telegraph.html

ps - it might technically be New Cross, I'm not actually sure.

I just wish the Telegraph had some couches and more comfortable chairs, but it is a great pub, and definitely over the border in Lewisham.

The new Montague arms is fantastic, almost as good as the old. So very thankful it didn't get turned into flats!

I actually quite like the Hollydale Tavern too, but I think that's just me.

Much better than Flying Pig I'd say.

Lots of decent, interesting things rather than generic, over-hoppy 9% US IPAs... plenty of South/East London, not just Kernel and Meantime, but Partizan, Brockley (bleurgh), Five Points, Brixton, Brick and the brilliant By The Horns...