Trio on Bellenden Road

MediaBoy

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I went in last week, thinking it was a cafe and hoping I might find a birthday card in there (yes, I know, but sometimes cafes do sell such things). I found the card, and the cafe, but also lots of children at the workshop space at the back, playing and/or being instructed in something or other. The woman who seemed to be in charge was very helpful and found me a - very nice - birthday card and chatted about the concept, which is very firmly aimed at parents with young children. I got the impression it was well run, already popular and stylish, so good luck to it.

Well I assume it's not aimed at you, edcam.

It's actually a great idea. If you have a baby or young child, it's nice to have somewhere to go where you feel welcome rather than a nuisance. And a place that the children might actually enjoy, too.

Menu is apparently rather limited, but I think people are prepared to overlook that for the above reasons.

I've been in half a dozen times and think it's great. The staff are all lovely and make a fuss of my daughter - the set-up is very child-friendly with buggy space and a play area at the back. I'm a big fan of lots of the cafes in the area but this one is my current favourite because, as Jeremy suggests, it's nice to go somewhere where toddlers are not only welcome but also encouraged. And on the days when I'm not with my daughter, I can perhaps have a quieter coffee at one of the other local places!

Went yesterday - will definitely go again, yummy hot chocolate, daughter got to play with some toys and I got to eye up the pastries which I'll have to sample next time! A friend has so many of these "kid cafes" near her I'm glad we have finally got one. For those who think it's a horror idea, easy, don't go.... ;o)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Finally made it to Trio and loved it! The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. I was finally able to put the 9 months old somewhere to crawl and play (I carry her everywhere, so going for coffee can be a tussle), and the lovely wooden toys also engaged the three year old. Highly recommended.

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds ghastly.

I think it sounds like a smart idea. There's nothing really round here cafe wise that is specifically targeted at babies and kids. The more of these there are the less babies you're going to find in pubs. In fact it's the retail business I would open locally if I ever did that.

• 2 months later...

I too recommend Trio. I go there regularly with children and friends.

The food and the staff are great and the setting is open and inviting.

They have been updating the menu, especially the children's so why not give it a try?

Archived