Music our parents recommended to us

Mick Mac

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bing Crosby, The Andrews Sisters, The Inkspots,

> The Mills Brothers, Glenn Miller....

>

> I think I may possibly be the winner here! :))

Possibly Simon M, you could be the winner - but I think Asset may have a claim too - taken to see Bob Marley by his parents - that is special.

Musicals - Carousel, South Pacific, The King and I, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music - still know all the words ....

Kenneth McKellar (my dad was Scottish)

Harry Belafonte

Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley - can't remember who did it, but it had a purple label :))

Sparky and his Magic Piano (on 78s :)) )

Queen, Squeeze, Van Morrisson, Simon & Garfunkle, Everly Brothers, fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, The Doors, Gerry and the

Pace Makers, Buddy Holly, Dire Straits, Roy Orbison, Travelling Wilburys, Bob Dylan, the Stones. The list is long.

Not saying I like them all either.

Ironic how most are on the overrated bands thread too.

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Johnny Mathis was the background to my childhood.

> Still go soft when I hear him now.

Me to Tillie, I had "somewhere" sung by Mr Mathis played at Mum`s funeral, She and my Dad loved him (tu)

"In the Mood" stood out like a beacon, in fact anything by Glen Miller's band was more than palatable in my book.

Hit songs were around for several months or perhaps a year, before they disappeared back in those swinging times.

You could whistle, or sing them if you knew the words, sadly it's not the case for much of the stuff produced today.

• 6 months later...

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Generally our parents are older and wiser - My

> father used to listen to Makem and Clancey:

>

> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=429PaSejZCE

>

> Any other little known gems out there in ED? If

> you know of something, add it to this thread.

I thought I'd bump this old thread just to revive interest.

My dad only listens to music written by long dead Germans and performed by orchestras and he thinks the Beatles are too modern.

My mum?s music all goes didilly-didilly-ey and is generally about whiskey and/or the huns marching across Ireland.

Stones, Who, Hendrix, Beatles, Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye

(Actually just realised I already posted, but it bears repeating).

But my mum also likes some awful stuff... showtunes/Lloyd Webber/Elaine Page sort of stuff... and my dad like Dire Straits... thankfully I had the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

If I had gone on my parents recomendations I would still be listening to the Black and White Minstrels , Val Doonican and Mikki and Griff ...

my uncle however , had more of a clue .... he usewd to listen to Dark Side Of The Moon .... I had an aunt that used to lend me her Kinks albums .... that was a bit of a musical turning point .