On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No mention of Le Tissier?!?!

>

One of my favourite players...So good should have had the England team built around him. Any other European side would have. We had David Batty instead.

It is like he was living our dream, ambling onto the pitch just playing for fun, a bit heavy not looking too professional, and then scoring a 30 yarder.

"We had David Batty instead."

Ha ha, brilliant and so true. But Le Tis had himself to blame a bit. He was never as committed to the game as he could have been, but that pragmatic streak was something else I admired about him.

He'd enjoy a few pints and the odd pie and still provide 7(ish) of the 10 goals of the season!!

What's happening with Chelsea - it just gets worse!

But what about Liverpool's line-up for this evening at Pompey - 6 defenders... and just one player upfront who scored the grand total of 1 goal last season in France. Looks like a highly speculative selection. Gulp!

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No mention of Le Tissier?!?!

> Just because he never went to a fashionable

> club....and was a lazy sod...doesn't mean he

> didn't rank among the best.

> For my money Bergkamp was the best player in

> England of the last 20 years.

>

> Prior to that McAvennie and Cottee, have to agree

> with RC B)

One of the other problems was he was trying to get into the England squad when Hoddle was at the helm. He was (allegedly) told that if he had a good England B game then he would be in the team for sure. He scored a hatrick in the game but was then shunned. He only got 8 caps

Fantastic player and one of the top goal scorers in the premiership still bearing in mind he was a midfielder. He was the first midfielder to reach 101 goals. I think he may still be the most prolific midfielder bar Lampard who I think has just pipped him

MM,I did, to win, on Betfair. I've laid of some of it but I'd still win a significant sum if they won it and not a bad profit on that bet if they don't...unfortunately I also had a big sum on Chelsea....I've started to hedge this by betting Man U to win in all their individual games so I'm nullyfying that slowly (crap odds but they keep winning and if they don't they should go out a bit and then I'll back them)...but today I couldn't force myself to bet against the Hammers. Basically, if Man U win the premiership (most likely)I'll make a small loss on my Premiership winner's bets if i don't do anything to hedge..if Villa win it I'm a happy, happy man, Chelsea reasonable profit. Liverpool a small profit as I bet them earlier too...still think it's United's....which with a bit of hedging will probably see me in the black, just. C'MON VILLA!

That's no problem when you look at who the players are - just a load of dross that Redknapp signed who have been sitting on their arses drawing ?60k a week. The lieks of Djimi Traore, Lauren, Richard Duffy, Martin Cranie etc etc.

The only first teamers are Sean Davis (who I hope will sign) and Sol Campbell (who is on ?110k per week and who we desparately need to leave the club)

Pompey's problem is cash.

I was with the Chief Executive of PFC on Friday night and he said that before the sale of Diarra, the club were heading for Administration. They had run at operating losses of ?14m and ?15m in the last two seasons resepctively. (Now breaking even) getting these wasters off the wage bill will be a god send!

I am slightly surprised that TA has been sacked today now that the window has closed. However, there could be a number of off the field reasons why this had to happen today.

Now, if Curbishley is appointed manager I would say we are in big trouble. Personally I would like to see Avram Grant come back, he is a friend of the owner. I guess we will find out today.

Adams record was appauling at Pompey. We have lost so many games in the last 10 minutes it's untrue. He refused to sub Basinas on Saturday even though he was dead on his feet and we had 2 subs left. Shame cos I love the guy but imo he will never make it as a premiership manager.

BBC website confirms "Mr Arsenal" has been sacked. Good luck for the future Big Tone. BBC also say Toad of Toad hall, sorry, Avram Grant is being lined up as a replacement. I'm surprised Tony took the job on. The jowly one pissed off to spurs and Jordan jumped like a rat from a sinking ship, they sell all their best players, and wonder why thay are struggling. As always the manager takes the blame, even if the board need shooting and the players play like c**nts.