On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

Sorry to hear the bad news as well Atila.

Just come back from The Vale - I know 5-0 doesn't sound good but West Brom play a particularly loose form of football that deserves to be trounced by just about everybody in the Premiership so I wouldn't read too much into this result. Rob Styles gave a red card when it was 1-0 to the West Brom captain which didn't help but then neither did Ji-Sung Park squealing like a pig..

As for tomorrow the Landlord of The Vale told me, as I exited the premises, that Liverpool were a priority for tomorrow night - so I think we can take it as red [sic] that Wigan v Liverpool will be the LIVE match at The Vale tomorrow night, KO 7.45pm.

Well hasn't it been a funny old season thus far? I have to say it does look increasingly like the title is Uniteds to lose. In fairness they have come on strong in the last month or so and those around them have been tripping up. My beloved Arse haven't been lighting up my life in the way that that have been for the last 6 or 7 years, but I never expected the heady heights we had reached in 2002, and the breathtaking brand of football we played in 2001/2002 season to go on forever, but I'm sure things will come around again. These things have a way of going around in cycles. Villa have been a revelation, but I don't think they have a big enough squad to go the distance, but we'll see. It might be good for us to drop out of the top 4 to shake us out of our torpor and to show that we really do need to FINALLY replace Viera with a decent defensive midfileder, two decent central defenders and another striker (come Thierry all is forgiven!!!). Whatever happens, I'll still love the club. On the European front Barca look different class, their fast, fluid attacking brand of football is a joy to behold (remind you of anyone?) and they will be a test for any club.

I agree that the title is fast becoming United's to lose now.

As for the Arse, only last season (first half at least) you were playing some of the best footy this country has seen in years! But as you say, you need some extra players, and the squad couldn't go the distance. I think Wenger will get them back up there though.

I am enjoying this season, just for the fact that it is so close in all parts of the table!

Barcelona look incredible and are by far and away the best team in Europe by a country mile. They have the best player in the world in Lionel Messi, a player who proves you don't have to dive and feign injury to win matches like some show ponies I care not to mention. Barca have been unlucky with injuries in the previous 2 seasons as likes of Eto'o and Messi were only just coming back from injury when they faced Liverpool and Manchester United. I have no doubt that if Barca can keep that team fit they will reach the final and no one, not anyone from the Premiership, will stop them home or away.

I know it was only Stoke City but Spurs were absolutely fantastic in the first half last night. Three-nill up in 25 minutes and playing fantastic football. Stand out performances from Aaron Lennon, Luca Modric and Michael Dawson. Marvellous. That's more like it Harry. More of the same please.

Robbo's blog all about Rafa this time. This guy is not biased (except towards Boro), and I actually agree with most of what he says.

Also one of the comments at the bottom

3. At 1:05pm on 27 Jan 2009, dannymc22 wrote:

Finally someone agrees with me. I am a Liverpool fan and i am somewhat annoyed with rafa's buys. Reina, Skrtel, alonso, mascherano and torres - excellent. The rest all deadwood!

Benayoun,kuyt,babel, keane,arbeloa,dossena,voronin,lucas,sissoko,

degen,pennant,bellamy,morientes,josemi,nunez

kromkamp

Im sure theres more!!!

Isn't far off. Kuyt is a work horse, Benayoun has talent, Keane was good at Spurs with Berbatov, but none are the sort of signings that are going to set the world alight, OR young unknowns that can be nurtured.

On a lighter note, shame whats going on at Man City.

Yup I thought Robbo must have been sober when he wrote that - it is very good.

I disagree with your earlier comments Keef that it's looking like United who have it to lose - I think Rafa Benitez very much is the one who will win it or lose it with his policies.

United's strength is beating lowly opposition - and Liverpool's is the polar opposite. If only Rafa would let Liverpool cut loose - anyone whose seen Liverpool chasing a game this season will know they've been pretty unstoppable when they've put their foot on the pedal. I am hoping that United's 5-0 headline act last night will act as a spur for Rafa to send out a team to destroy rather than contain at Wigan tonight.

matthew123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yup I thought Robbo must have been sober when he

> wrote that - it is very good.

>

> I disagree with your earlier comments Keef that

> it's looking like United who have it to lose - I

> think Rafa Benitez very much is the one who will

> win it or lose it with his policies.

>

> United's strength is beating lowly opposition -

> and Liverpool's is the polar opposite. If only

> Rafa would let Liverpool cut loose - anyone whose

> seen Liverpool chasing a game this season will

> know they've been pretty unstoppable when they've

> put their foot on the pedal. I am hoping that

> United's 5-0 headline act last night will act as a

> spur for Rafa to send out a team to destroy rather

> than contain at Wigan tonight.

You just get funnier and funnier.

United have conceded 27 goals in all competitions including pre-season friendlies. We have just broken the record for consecutive clean sheets and gone for 12 league games unbeaten, we are top of the league by a clear three points, have a +7 better goal difference than Liverpool and we only do it by beating lowly opposition?

You are a fool and what's more, you are wrong about Benitez too. He is useless. I can't name a single player beyond those that this blog names and to be honest I contend that Torres isn't the player you thought he was going to be (fragile and not prolific enough), Mascherano has been a disappointment and as for Skrtel...words fail me.

Harsh SP, I think what Matthew was saying was that you beat the lowly opposition, whilst Liverpool will drop silly points. Not that you only beat lowly opposition. Calm down sir!

I think Torres is every bit the player we all want him to be. There are however big question marks over his ability to stay fit :(

LOL, once you cut through the venom of Sandperson's outburst there is clearly something disturbing him ;-)

Anyway, Keef you pretty much got it spot on but let me explain further... Liverpool have beaten 3 of the top 6 so far this season (top 6 is:- United, Liverpool, Villa, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton) and remain unbeaten... whereas United have only 1 win, and 2 defeats from that top 6.

Sandperson you beat your drum and roared with great authority that United have only conceded 27 goals in all competitions this season including pre-season, well Liverpool have conceded a modest 28... not that stats count for much this time of season so like Everton last Monday night at Anfield you need to know this is not going to result in a trophy presentation ;-)

What do you mean your "analysis" of Rafa, all you really said was "he is useless" - and then you alluded to the fact he reached the top of the table with a rubbish set of players which is a back handed compliment that he is a footballing alchemist.. Personally I think Liverpool have a great set of players that does include Mascherano, Torres and Skrtel.

Oh btw, this season, United have actually conceded 29 ;-)

Yes, I am amazed that you've got as far as you've got, but I prefer to see it as luck!

The goals conceded is a bit misleading in the case of Liverpool as they didn't have the same run in the League cup as us or go and play in the glorious, hallowed and revered Club World Cup so you've played less games than United.

Surprised you've slated Mascher and Skrtel. I personally think they have been excellent signings. Mascher is clearly knackered from his International duties (this summer and last) and Skrtel, up to his knee injury, has been fantastic for us. Would be VERY disappointed to lose either of these players.

Okay, I was being a bit harsh on Masherano (and Torres, who is obviously a good goal scorer if he can stay fit), but I genuinely can't see Skrtel as a good player. I thought you looked more consistantly good when he was injured. That's just me watching and listening to games. I have no statistical evidence to back it up.

SP we did look better when Skrtel was out - but not because he is rubbish BUT rather because Danny Boy was back in the team, Daniel Agger is a fantastic footballer. With Agger he brings the ball out and really is a class act. I'd love to see Skrtel and Agger as the two centre defenders as it would allow full backs and midfield to push forward and bolster our attacks.

WIGAN v LIVERPOOL is LIVE in The Vale tonight - kick off 7.45.

I'll be there, so hope to see a few REDS down there as well - btw, they're got a special promotion of ?2.70 per pint. I was in there last night and even though it was United on LIVE it's a nice joint with it's big comfy sofas.

Just seen the Liverpool line-up for tonight and the midfield is a worry: -

Benayoun, Lucas, Mascherano, Babel

Not sure whether this will work - could be another game of attrition.

Surely Gerrard is needed in the centre of midfield, then get Robbie Keane upfront.... oh well fingers crossed!