Nappy changing in local eatery (Lounged)

Domitianus

microbite Wrote:...I do think some mothers have

> taken it a wee bit too far in that some now

> defiantly get their tits out wherever they want,

> whether child is hungry or not

Really? I can assure you I have no desire to "get my tits out", if my babies aren't asking for milk... and they'd hardly eat if they weren't hungry. What a quaint view. I mean, I'm a committed breastfeeder, but I get a bit fed up with endlessly feeding, and I can assure you I don't add in little extra feeds "for no reason" !

Breatfeeding in public is an utter disgrace in my opinion, discrete or not! A public place is a public place, and we have places for women choosing to breastfeed such as nappy changing facilities and toilets within restaurants/cafe's. I think it is an absolute display of public indecency for a woman to get her private regions out in a public arena (hungry baby or not!).

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Breatfeeding in public is an utter disgrace in my

> opinion, discrete or not! A public place is a

> public place, and we have places for women

> choosing to breastfeed such as nappy changing

> facilities and toilets within restaurants/cafe's.

> I think it is an absolute display of public

> indecency for a woman to get her private regions

> out in a public arena (hungry baby or not!).

women's lib set back 25 years right there.

>

> Louisa.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

> Domitianus

>

> Initially you said the nappy was 'soiled', and now

> you say it was"soiled, smelly nappy ..... the

> sight of runny poo exposed for all to see, the

> delicate aroma of toddler turd drifting to your

> nostrils and mingling with the subtle flavours of

> your food and drink."

>

> Are you sure you're not exaggerating a little

> bit?

>

> Shame you didn't say anything to the mother

> though. I wonder what she would have said to you

> if you had had words with her.>:D<

You are mistaken in your interpretation of my words. Firstly, it seems that people expect that I should have given a full, detailed, legally admissible statement in the first instance of my posting. I do apologise that I didn't anticipate the cross-examination that I would face. Secondly, I think it goes without saying that a soiled nappy is likely to be a smelly one. If you can find me a toddler whose s**t doesn't stink please bring him/her to me as we shall have found the Chosen One!

My more detailed description of the experience of proximity to child poo was not meant to reflect my own experience but was intended to spell out the potential situations that might emerge if we happily sit back and approve of bars and restaurants being turned into naappy changing facilities.

Your comment about me speaking to the mother is, I assume. offered in jest and I chuckle appropriately :-)

The issue with the nappy is is that it is sh1t, and sh1t smells, and sh1t doesn't smell good, and shit doesn't smell especially good when when you're eating...that's not 'anal' , that's expecting to eat without seeing or smelling another human beings excretement......

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Absolutely is, although as with everything,

> discretion is needed.

Tell that to the babies though! You can arrange yourself ever so discreetly, and then the baby decides to crane over its shoulder and smirk at passersby while your suddenly exposed nipple squirts milk at the man next to you on the train.

I speak theoretically, of course. Nothing so embarrassing has ever happened to me, honest, guv! And perish the thought, if it did, that microbite or mikecg might be on the receiving end!!

Louisa Wrote:

> Breatfeeding in public is an utter disgrace in my

> opinion, discrete or not! A public place is a

> public place, and we have places for women

> choosing to breastfeed such as nappy changing

> facilities and toilets within restaurants/cafe's.

> I think it is an absolute display of public

> indecency for a woman to get her private regions

> out in a public arena (hungry baby or not!).

>

> Louisa.

Nice circular argument developing here. It's not Ok to change a nappy in a pub.. but it's Ok to feed a baby in a toilet. Que?!

Though I'm sure Louisa is tongue in cheek there.

Bloomin 'eck, what is it with everyone turning legal on here today? This is a public forum for debate, not a bloody online court! Anyway... clux... I am not joking no, I do appreciate a mother has the right to breastfeed of course, but why on earth can this not be done in a private setting, why should it be done in full view of me or anyone else who does not wish to be made privy to such a personal situation? Some women actually make a point of going out of their way to breastfeed in public to try and make a point, I find it very odd to say the least and it does nothing in my opinion to help mothers and babies in public spaces. You let them breastfeed in public and before you know it they are changing nappies and destroying restaurants and pubs with screaming toddlers running around destroying my peace and quiet. It sounds harsh, but it is a slippery slope in my opinion. I have always held the view that some things need to be done behind closed doors (or in a private arena).

Louisa.

Trouble with saying that breastfeeding has to be done in private is that it essentially means that a mother has to pretty much not go out for at least the first six months or so of her child's life, which is quite a price to pay.

I can't say I've ever seen a woman in ED breastfeeding 'to make a point' and on the whole unless you are staring it's pretty hard to see anything more than you would see if she were wearing a low-cut top. But if you have, that's your prerogative to make the statement, of course.

Not sure about the logic of the slippery slope - isn't that what good manners is there for?

I really don?t see what the hang-up is. I was brought up in what from my observations was a far more socially conservative environment with stricter rules for decorum than are evident in London. But it has never occurred to me to be in the least bit offended or even taken aback by someone breastfeeding in public.

There is nothing unhygienic (like there is with changing a nappy) or improper (it isn?t like breastfeeding mothers are being suggestive) about it.

So where does the hang-up come from?

There's nothing to be ashamed about - but I know what Louisa means about making a point of it.

When Mrs *Bob* was breastfeeding, I always carried a piccolo trumpet with me, so that - should her knocker fall inadvertently fall out in a public place - I could instantly rise to my feet and play the theme music from 'Rocky'.

Moos Wrote:

> Well said, Fuschia.

>

> I wondered when this thread would switch over to

> whether it's OK to breastfeed in public!

>

> For the record, it is.

What Moos said.

Big pile of shit got out next to dinner table when there's a seperate, closed door location to do so about 20 feet away - bad.

Very young child having fresh, warm milk puts you off your latte? Really?

I have always been an ardent feminist and totally agree with the fact that breastfeeding is a natural and wonderful thing, but you can't ignore the fact that we live in a society of cultural backgrounds,social attitudes, and ages. While it's easy for us to say: "This is natural and this is our right", there will be people who are very uncomfortable with seeing a woman breastfeeding in public. I am totally fine with it, but my 78 year old Dad would be extremely embarassed, especially if he was in the company of women - his daughters for example. This would obviously annoy me, but in his reality it's just not right.

I guess what I am trying to say is, we are all are entitled to our own views and to live our lives in accordance with this view, but please don't dismiss others rights to their own sensibilities, however much they may clash with your own.

Fuschia - I said "some" mothers, as in some mothers like trying to make a point, I breastfed all my children and didn't care where I was, but as has been said, a pashmina is a wonderful thing, but what got up my goat was that"some" of the other mothers I sometimes found myself in the company of when doing this, would literally make a big scene of pulling up their tops exposing voluptuously filled bra, lopp their boob out and proceed to just feed without even making an effort to cover up or be discreet, even if said child was not wanting feeding, and they did it just to ruffle feathers, they would sit there and glare defiantly at anyone who would even merely curiously look their way, which I found incredulous and which was then my cue to find somewhere else to feed! so they do exist!