(ED Picturehouse now open)when is the cinema on LL opening?

Ole

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> fonread Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Anyone know what the rake is like? Nothing more

> > infuriating than a piddly, gentle slope...

>

>

> I don't get it.

Basically, the angle from the screen to the back of the auditorium. The steeper the angle, the better the view.

I only ask as one of the screens at the Clapham Picturehouse is diabolical - I went to see No Country For Old Men there and spent two hours staring at the pus in someone's neck boil. Contrast that to Screen One at the Barbican, the Odeon on Haymarket or the IMAX at Waterloo, all of which have sufficient rake to give those in the back row vertigo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_%28theatre%29

rake:

Brixton - front row seats to side are bad - far too close to screen and a completely sideways view from side of front row - hope ED doesn't have that ????

Am going both tomorrow and Sunday, so hope have decent seats. looking forward to it big time nd im sure it wil be a great venue

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> Have just got back from seeing the first film. The

> cinema looks great.

Me too. Nothing at all not to like really.

We went yesterday too and thought they'd done a great job. 3 screens seating about 100, 80 and 50 each with comfy seats and lots of leg room.

The bar was lovely with a nice seating area including some "snugs" and sofas. There was a good selection of wine and craft beer too which was a nice surprise!

Well done to all who pushed for this, and to the EDP for doing such a great job.

We went to the showing of A Little Chaos last night and the cinema looks fantastic. The decor is lovely. Lots of bare brick and reclaimed materials. The bar area is really comfortable with a mix of high tables and big comfy booths. The 3 screens are a decent size and the seats are super comfortable. The back row of each screen has double seats and little tables to put your drinks on. Even the toilets are like a day spa.

The menu is great, a wide selection of interesting and tasty treats. We tried the hotdog and the burger. Both nice but the burger was exceptional. The chips were pretty good too. We would definitely go just for drinks and dinner, it's a destination in its own right.

The snack selection was interesting and varied (a little pricey). It included cured meats, tubs of retro sweets, alcoholic sorbets and icecreams and all the usual big bags of sweets. The popcorn was nice and fresh and tasty.

The garden courtyard wasn't open yet but if it's anything like the rest of it, it's going to be a really lovely hangout in the summer.

Really excited about our new addition to the lane!!

If anyone hasn't been down yet and wants to look at photos, there are plenty on my blog:

http://showmelovelylittlethings.tumblr.com

Looks gorgeous can't wait to go tomorrow

Well done to the Picturehouse team...clearly lots of work and building work always runs over ...

we have been excited and delighted to see a cinema coming to ED both for us and our burgeoning teens...

I hope this new cinema is succesful

As members of the Brixton Ritzy we are delighted at the opening of the East Dulwich Cinema within walking distance. However, passing the cinema yesterday my wife picked up a leaflet from a member of BECTU who was demonstrating for the right to unionise the workforce of what is a very large international and highly profitable organisation.

BECTU had a successful campaign at Brixton and won a 26% payrise for the staff there.

Perhaps this would be a good time for the patrons of the new cinema to ask about the conditiona in the ED cinema, ie right to unionise, are they on zero hours contracts, do they get the London Living Wage etc?

MrBen Wrote:

> I spoke to an estate agent who, after jizzing on

> the checkerboard mosaics, told me houses within a

> 10 min radius are now worth ?5M. Many thanks To

> James Barber for this.

Oh really, and you live 11 minutes away Mr Ben

Life sucks eh!

:)

> Perhaps this would be a good time for the patrons

> of the new cinema to ask about the conditiona in

> the ED cinema, ie right to unionise, are they on

> zero hours contracts, do they get the London

> Living Wage etc?

No I'll just go see some films. Thanks.

Looking forward to visiting the new cinema. On Friday afternoon, I called to see if I could get a ticket - there were a good number available. But no, I was refused on the basis that I was not a FOUNDING member. No matter that I have been resident in the area for 30 years or so (so hopefully qualify on that front)and perhaps more relevant, that I have been a Picturehouse member since they started their membership scheme. The conversation took some bizarre turns:

PH: But when you joined Picturehouse, you must have selected your "home" cinema to visit.

ME: Yes, I did and it was the Ritzy.

PH: So you selected the ritzy...

ME: Well yes, it was 20 years ago and the ED picturehouse was nowhere in the picture.

PH: But since you did not join the ED PH, we can't let you attend today.

ME: And my having been a member for 20 years counts for nothing? And that you actually have tickets available and it's late Friday afternoon already.

PH: No, you should have selected ED as your home cinema...

and so on. Oh well! Off to the ritzy now...

Shaila Shah Wrote:

> Looking forward to visiting the new cinema. On

> Friday afternoon, I called to see if I could get a

> ticket - there were a good number available. But

> no, I was refused on the basis that I was not a

> FOUNDING member. No matter that I have been

> resident in the area for 30 years or so (so

> hopefully qualify on that front)and perhaps more

> relevant, that I have been a Picturehouse member

> since they started their membership scheme. The

> conversation took some bizarre turns:

>

> PH: But when you joined Picturehouse, you must

> have selected your "home" cinema to visit.

> ME: Yes, I did and it was the Ritzy.

> PH: So you selected the ritzy...

> ME: Well yes, it was 20 years ago and the ED

> picturehouse was nowhere in the picture.

> PH: But since you did not join the ED PH, we can't

> let you attend today.

> ME: And my having been a member for 20 years

> counts for nothing? And that you actually have

> tickets available and it's late Friday afternoon

> already.

> PH: No, you should have selected ED as your home

> cinema...

>

> and so on. Oh well! Off to the ritzy now...

Oh dear, poor you but can I say

"Grow up and get a pair(of coffee beans)"

The clue is in the wording "East Dulwich picture house FOUNDERS weekend" this weekend is for those of us who have waited almost a year since taking out membership to see the cinema open and for members of other cinemas in the chain you will be able to use it in the next week.

Is it just me or do some people just like whining because they failed to read or understand what they have read?