(ED Picturehouse now open)when is the cinema on LL opening?

Ole

Upstairs is nice Foxy. There is a seating area outside screen 2 and the screen itself on that floor has visible roofspace, beams above which gives a feeling of space.

In short the whole place is a fantastic modern take on an old building. The garden is not yet finished but look forward to seeing that too.

As regards price, I think you are also paying for the surrounds, the overall ambience, seating decor etc has an expensive look, it's more of an evening out experience than simply a movie.

Also went yesterday, and would second everything people have said about the space, it looks great and feels very comfortable. Had a nice slice of Guinness cake and a drink there too. Food prices not cheap, but the snack selection is pretty impressive. On booking fees etc, I think the membership is a no brainer: no booking fee, money off tickets and drinks/food, free couple of tickets, would pay for itself pretty quickly. Otherwise yes, the ticket prices do sound steep, especially if calling rather than booking online, but I think most people using it would take up membership?

Mind you, won't be forsaking the Peckham Plex, seeing the Avengers there today because it's not only cheaper, but I have a feeling it will be more fun.

Went last night and it was excellent. The building has been beautifully restored and the food and drinks menu looked good with a nice area for dinning. They also sell Crossstown donuts which are epic. Sat in screen one - the largest of the three. The seats are comfy and recline. There are a few sofas on the back row as well. All in all a great addition to the lane.

Up thread someone who has been has already confirmed its stadium seating (i.e. rake / on an incline)

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I did notice in one of the pictures that the

> seating was arranged in 'direct' lines

> and not staggered so the viewer will be looking

> at the back of some ones head.

> Especially if you are not very tall.

>

> Foxy

Tanday Wrote:

> Went last night and it was excellent. The building

> has been beautifully restored and the food and

> drinks menu looked good with a nice area for

> dinning. They also sell Crossstown donuts which

> are epic. Sat in screen one - the largest of the

> three. The seats are comfy and recline. There are

> a few sofas on the back row as well. All in all a

> great addition to the lane.

Went last night too and I agree it was excellent. Back this weekend to sign up for membership. What did you think of the film?

LondonMix Wrote:

> Up thread someone who has been has already

> confirmed its stadium seating (i.e. rake / on an

> incline)

>

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I did notice in one of the pictures that the

> > seating was arranged in 'direct' lines

> > and not staggered so the viewer will be

> looking

> > at the back of some ones head.

> > Especially if you are not very tall.

> >

> > Foxy

I think the question is less about the rake, or slope, and more re the alignment..

edit - that didn't work.

Seats in columns vs diagonals..

Hi Kestonkid

I agree with you. Has anyone established if they are paying the living wage? Whilst I welcome the new cinema I'd be even happier if they treated their staff decently. It's not as if there isn't money in East Dulwich - they're certainly charging enough.

Thank you hkphooey, we have no further info than we gleaned from the BECTU leaflet. Sooon realised that everyone was so excited about the cinema opening that there was little or no interest in discussing the staff conditions. At least there is a trade union to hand for them.

Can certainly recommend taking out membership. It does pay off quite quickly. Just waiting now for something we want to see.

Yes, of course, like any other cinema you can buy on the door but only if the screening hasn't sold out.

SebsC Wrote:

> Hi. Does anyone know if you can turn up and buy a

> ticket just before a movie or is it advisable to

> purchase tickets in advance? Thanks!

I went to get a ticket last Friday afternoon - only six people were in the cinema where my film was showing - but it took ages to get a ticket at the bar-cum-ticket-office. I'd advise booking ahead in the evenings (or popping in and buying them in advance) and if you are near the film's start-time. I put aside a good ten minutes to get the ticket thinking I was being foolishly previous, but the people ahead of me (none of which were buying tickets but food, drinks, membership etc) were served slowly. (There is a machine to pick up tickets that are pre-booked which I will use in the future.)

Because MrB, for so many years going to the pictures was a luxury and waiting for the film to appear on TV was the normal thing to do. I remember taking the children years ago for special treats but having to sit through animated type things that didn't interest me was torture (even though I pretended they were great!)

In the past 10 years, I've only been twice and never really enjoyed the experience even though the films were OK. Not only is it cheaper to watch TV, but far more comfortable. You don't have to dress up, you get advert breaks so you can make cups of tea, raid the fridge or go to the loo and you are not being disturbed by other peoples noise!

I'm certainly not against new cinemas opening, just can't understand the excitement. And I will see all the films eventually. I'm very patient!