Gambling ads

bigbadwolf

I personally do gamble now and again, mainly on football matches or horses but I can honestly say I can walk past a bookies 8 times out of ten without popping in for a flutter. Recently it's caught my attention that there's alot of gambling ads i.e PKR, Full tilt and these seemingly inncoent Bingo ads which imply that it's a family/girls night out. is it me or does it come across that these companies are taking advantage of the economical situation, i.e "you may not be able to work/find a job but by all means feel free to try your luck at winning a living".

My father gambled away a small fortune. That did a great deal of damage to my childhood. Putting it mildly. It wasn't just about the money that was lost; he was a bad looser too so after a bad day just living under the same roof was unbearable.

We lived in a very grand house and went to good schools so people just assumed that we had lots of money. Those things came from family wealth. In reality, we were as poor as church mice and my mother kept the house running on very little housekeeping. Her health suffered immensely as a result of the constant worry of not being able to feed us. It was a very hand to mouth existence. I didn?t mind being poor, but I did mind living in a home turbo-charged with desperation and anger and worry.

It?s very sad when children grow up in homes where there is addiction (in any form). It?s also very worrying that gambling does seem to be recession-proof; there are many bookies within walking distance of my house and they always seem to be full. So what?s the story? People hoping for a big win to make their financial problems go away? It won?t happen. Just desperate times and desperate people and the bookies making a killing.

Gambling ads or no gambling ads, we all have a choice. Either we gamble or we don't. The fact that gambling ads or ads for alcoholic drinks, or anything else for that matter, are all around us, it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to act upon them. To blame such ads for addiction is, in my opinion, crap. It is indictactive of the "it's not my problem" mentality, which looks to apportion blame on society, the goverment, the police, the legal system, the education system anybody but not themselves. It's called not taking responsibility for your own actions.

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> matthew123 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Well it's the Euromillions ?85 million jackpot

> > this Friday - and having caught an advert on TV

> it

> > drew me into my nearest newsagents to buy a

> ticket

> > next time I passed!

>

> Yes, but would you be happy if you won all that

> money Matthew?......

By the grace of God, I will answer that on Saturday!

Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> Gambling ads or no gambling ads, we all have a

> choice. Either we gamble or we don't. The fact

> that gambling ads or ads for alcoholic drinks, or

> anything else for that matter, are all around us,

> it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to act

> upon them. To blame such ads for addiction is, in

> my opinion, crap. It is indictactive of the "it's

> not my problem" mentality, which looks to

> apportion blame on society, the goverment, the

> police, the legal system, the education system

> anybody but not themselves. It's called not taking

> responsibility for your own actions.

right wing libertarian rubbish

making a rational choice evey time assumes that everyone has been given access to the same basic information and facts

there is no level playing field from which such a garrolous and combatative statement could have any legitimacy

Organised gambling preys on peoples desparation, poverty and lack of education - this is helped along its way by its sick deviant family capitalist famuily members advertising & marketing - creating a need - their intention is to take as much as they can by explioting the frailties in human nature & weakness exaggereted by a system based on greed and needless accumulation

innit

I disagree with that Atila, there are a lot of weak minded people out there who can be easily influenced by these 'lifestyle' adverts.

You walk past a Bookies on Lordship Lane and usually they advertise a particular scoreline / first goalscorer for the next big football match with the hundreds of pounds you can win... the idea is that the punter will think yes, "2-0, Ronaldo to score first" sounds about right... hmmmm, let me put a tenner on that..

snorky Wrote:

> Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Gambling ads or no gambling ads, we all have a

> > choice. Either we gamble or we don't. The fact

> > that gambling ads or ads for alcoholic drinks,

> or

> > anything else for that matter, are all around

> us,

> > it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to

> act

> > upon them. To blame such ads for addiction is,

> in

> > my opinion, crap. It is indictactive of the

> "it's

> > not my problem" mentality, which looks to

> > apportion blame on society, the goverment, the

> > police, the legal system, the education system

> > anybody but not themselves. It's called not

> taking

> > responsibility for your own actions.

>

>

>

> right wing libertarian rubbish

>

> making a rational choice evey time assumes that

> everyone has been given access to the same basic

> information and facts

>

> there is no level playing field from which such a

> garrolous and combatative statement could have any

> legitimacy

>

> Organised gambling preys on peoples desparation,

> poverty and lack of education - this is helped

> along its way by its sick deviant family

> capitalist famuily members advertising & marketing

> - creating a need - their intention is to take as

> much as they can by explioting the frailties in

> human nature & weakness exaggereted by a system

> based on greed and needless accumulation

>

> innit

Hi Snorky: Are youstill all right for Friday Night at Wimbledon Dogs?

Usual place, usual time?

"I disagree with that Atila, there are a lot of weak minded people out there who can be easily influenced by these 'lifestyle' adverts."

There's a huge difference between being weak-minded and being addicted, which is commonly understood to mean a condition where there are discernible physical consequences to exposure/withdrawal. It's also very difficult to argue that gamblers are significantly hampered by lacking access to basic information - the most basic information about all gambling is that there is a degree of risk and that the odds are an indication of risk. To an extent therefore the bookies do the work for you, in that you don't have to study any form to know that a 100-1 shot is unlikely to win and therefore a high-risk bet.

I agree with Attila in that it is too simplistic to talk about 'victims' all the time - after all there are obviously plenty of people on here who like a bet but have some self-control.

???? Wrote:

> Here we go......same old stuff...

>

> should we ban all pubs as far more families are

> destroyed through alcohol....

No-ones saying that but promoting gambling the way we see now is hardly fair

I hate that foxy bingio w@nker with a passion - he really disturbs my daily Kyle viewing

What I have against these ads is the supposedly slick lifestyle that goes with being a gambler. It displays a false image that the companies behind these ads know appeals to a teenage audience who couldn't find their arse with a map. They also know that gambling is a grey area for kids as schools don't educate kids against the dangers of gambling. My grandfather gambled which caused tension in my dads home which is why he warned me against the dangers of the bookies which left me in know doubt of the truth which is why I can exert self control. I believe secondary schools should look closely at teaching kids the dangers that can follow their first flutter.

I love adverts that stir up debate, that after all is what they are all about

Remember the Wondabra "Hello Boys" Advert, got people talking about the product!

Who can't think of flying from birth to grave in the Xbox live adverts on the television?

By Wolfie talking about these adverts they have achieved their aim, to make the advert stick in your mind, to make you talk about it and to pass the information on to others. I do agree that the subject matter is a problem and that there is a risk that the young or easily influenced will pick up and act on the adverts but that is how they work.

Now the one that fascinates me is on Smooth Radio at the moment for 'mybreasts.org' every time I hear it I crack up.