New Italian restaurant, Ollivelli

Phil.

Tried Olivelli last night.

Overall positive but there are some issues that need ironing out. We talked about this with the manager but it's worth being aware it's not perfect. I have been the their restaurant on The Cut which didn't have any of these issues and was only positive, so I am sure it's going to be a great addition to Lordship Lane after the first couple of weeks.

The main issues were with service. When we arrived we weren't really greeted and it took a while to confirm where we were meant to sit. I'm not sure it helps having no reception area/facility at the front of the restaurant so there is a slightly disjointed relay between staff near the door and the manager near the till/booking system.

The staff were okay but not exactly beaming with smiles / excitement of it being a new restaurant. That said, our waitress did warm up later on.

When we sat we weren't offered any water and then had to wait a few minutes for the menus.

We ordered 10 minutes after arriving and the starter (antipasti) turned up 35 minutes later.

They brought out the wrong mains.

We weren't proactively offered things like olive oil with antipasti/bread, chilli oil with pizza, etc despite it being available when we asked

To give them credit, the manager came to ask us (and seemed to be asking all tables) how things were going, thanked us for coming and apologised for the teething issues.

Food-wise it was very good. Yes it's not groundbreaking stuff but if you want solid Italian classics, it's does well on those. You can tell the difference between the Italian mega-chains and somewhere like Olivelli where the food seems to be cooked fresh and from scratch rather than pre-prepared and then frozen.

Overall I am sure they will sort these issues out and we will be back in a few weeks.

We tried To go last night at 6, only 2 tables with people on in the resturant, we were left standing at the front for quite a while before anyone came over to see us, we asked for a table for 4 & received an incredulous look when we said we hadn't booked & that no chance of a table, lesson learnt as sounds like u need to book rather than walk in even at 6.00, Tho I can't imagine they had people coming to fill every table in the resturant at 6.15! We felt the staff could have been slightly nicer about it, we left feeling a bit like deeply unfashionable people with no idea that only idiots would turn up without a booking! Will give it another go to try the food as thought the interior looked & felt nice. We went to tandoori nights instead & had a curry & service & welcome despite no pre booking were much warmer!

Another positive for Ollivelli. We popped in at the weekend (no reservation!) for an early dinner with our daughter. Food and service was great, not cheap but we were absolutely stuffed and so should have ordered less food. Good luck to them

We went there (without a reservation) last Tuesday with our toddler and had an absolutely delicious meal. The shared antipasto starter was excellent, especially the chickpea flour fritters. Their arancini balls are also delicious.

For main we had pizza and spaghetti carbonara. It's no exaggeration to say that it was the best carbonara I've ever had, so fresh tasting and flavoursome.

We also enjoyed a very nice bottle of chianti, and found the service very good.

We'll definitely be back soon.

I thought the service we received was pretty good, but then there weren't many people there at the time. 20 minutes sounds pretty poor.

I'm surprised by the portion sizes comment though, as neither of us could finish our mains... Which is unlike us! ;-)

I thought they were actually pretty generous!

I second that Tarafitness! We ate here last week (no reservation -though we were early) and had a wonderful meal. The portions were huge and we both agreed that we probably shouldn't have ordered starters! Food was fresh and tasty and the service was friendly and conscientious. Will definitely be back!

Are you American? It's hard to imagine bigger portions than they serve in their restaurants being anything but unseemly!

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A friend and her family went there a few days ago

> and were disappointed at the service ( waited 20

> mins for someone to take order) prices high for

> the small portions.

• 2 weeks later...
We had a great meal there - fab sharing platter and agreed the fritters ans arancini were great. Delicious mains including risotto, veal, pizza and various pastas followed - all delicious. Service was brilliant and the complimentary bottle of limoncello at the end was a great touch. Was really sad to see Kos go but this is a great replacement - really hope it thrives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a long wait for a decent Italian restaurant in ED, Olivelli is so disappointing.

Food is ok but expensive.

The service is like a sketch from Fawlty Towers: enthusiastic staff but many have a poor grasp of English and get orders wrong, and they are not trained - not the fault of the staff - lazy, poor management are to blame. They need to get their act together quickly or they won't survive!

• 4 weeks later...
First visit last night. Good starter, middle of the road calzone and hugely expensive drinks. (10.50 for a glass of Pinot Grigio + service charge). Starter, main course and a drink for 2 just over 60 quid. Expected more for this price. Unlikely to go back!

• 2 months later...