Illegal Advertising & Graffiti

This subject merits a separate thread and what better to start the ball rolling than with this serial offender:-

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t643/savedelhi/B1Edited_zpse6wl44fl.jpg

This is a novel approach but is none the less illegal as it contravenes one or more of the following items of legislation:-

Section 224(3) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

Section 132(1) of the Highways Act 1980

Sections 43-47 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003

The adverts are attached with tamper-proof screws to the frame of the bike which is in turn attached with a VERY heavy chain.

Apart from being illegal, these bikes deny cyclists the opportunity to secure their bikes at places such as railway stations, shopping area etc.

Any member of the public is fully entitled to deface or remove these adverts after reporting them to Southwark Council.

Happy hunting.

GG

Really? That seems a bit harsh... as a cyclist I've never personally had a problem, thought it was a colouful bit of local advertising. My gran had one of those hoovers, it had headlight on the front to highlight those carpet crumbs, brilliant idea!

A useful thread GG as there is quite a lot of fly posting going on. It seems to go in waves - until Southwark stops it by taking action against the perps.

I think this Jane Jefferson one is hilarious because their slogan is "The only way is ethics".

How ethical is it to locate illegal adverts around all of South London. It is breaking the law and it blocks secure parking for bikes.

Di

Cora Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And I noticed someone has sprayed over

> it......really harsh!

Cora,

This is a large operation with bikes parked outside stations all the way fro Balham to Blackheath! It might look like a nice mumsy advert but behind it is a very determined large scale enterprise.

GG

I care. Yes, there's worse things in the world to worry about but if people are concerned about these adverts (which shouldn't be there) then fair play to them for doing something and taken a small burden off the council. Clearing them up, especially the estate agent boards, is good for the area.

ps not sure about the call to deface the adverts though, just remove them,

Southwark council says it receives around 100 complaints about graffiti every month. On its website it also advises that removing graffiti costs the UK over ?1 billion a year.

That's Council money that could have been spent on better services for the community.

Out of interest, the council will pay up to ?1,000 for info about repeat offenders.

Green Goose Wrote:

> Southwark council says it receives around 100

> complaints about graffiti every month.

This isn't tagging.

tomskip Wrote:

> There is a house on Friern Road (top end evens

> side) with a forest of EA boards outside it. It

> might well be on the market with multiple agencies

> but as I understand it only one can have a board

> up.

Checked it. Only one board is allowed . It has five. Here is the appropriate section from the regs.

1. The regulations for estate agent boards........................................

Property owners or their agents have a right to display ?for sale? and ?to let? boards. The restrictions that apply to such boards are:

Not more than one advertisement, consisting of a single board or two joined boards, is permitted; and where more than one advertisement is displayed, the first to be displayed shall be taken to be the one permitted.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t643/savedelhi/Signs_zpsqgvgpvaw.jpg

Not nice

Are you sure you want to incite people to deface property that does not belong to them Green Goose? I know an entertainment company that does this - and a new bike shop - and I think it's innovative and inoffensive. Plus I'm cyclist and even I don't care. What about Foxtons minis? How do you feel about them? They drive me nuts but I'm not going to trash them.

Sorry but they shouldn't be allowed to take up parking spaces for bikes. There are plenty of other ways of advertising. I'm happy to report them to the council and to complain to the company directly.

What is the best email to use to complain to the council?

We have seen these bikes there 1 outside church east dulwich grove.

More Melbourne grove area,station area.

Glad you picked up on issue.

Ask James barber he can advise on here.

Defacing is wrong though.

Reporting if given advice is not within council remit for advertising.

Ok,was not clear having re read just saying support you raising issue bikes advert boards.

Having seen many around ed taking up valued bike locking stations.

Glad you raised issue.

Was suggesting you ask James barber local councillor often posts advice support on this forum and often knows ways to help with issues in local area.

strawberryheart Wrote:

> Hmmmm dprodonnell I'm sure that's the surname of

> the lady that owns that cleaning company?!!

Well spotted! There is a Mr D. O'Donnell who is spouse of Mrs J. O'Donnell who runs the business.

Sorry Green Goose, I don't find it at all offensive. I think this is really innovative advertising - caught my attention, in a very positive way. Why are you on such a personal vendetta against this woman trying to start her own business - I think she should be applauded. She's employing staff and contributing to the local economy. I just wish I could afford a cleaner myself!

Publically naming her is really inappropriate.