Station Manager Corner

Thanks for the update......I think my problem is that there are so few gates that if you do mistime or have a problem trying to judge the distance to actually hover your card then the sheer mass of people push you on and you can't just wait for it to reset!!!

SMBJones Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Please see extract from my Ticket Office

> Manager

>

> Hi Barry, I observed the working of the Oyster

> transaction form 09:10 to 09;50. There were over

> 29 transactions done and two failed. Those cards

> were not reading properly. The code error 35

> comes on the card which means there is no credit.

> But she could not top up at the machine because it

> could not read the card. To prove it I used my

> card and it read with a balance of ?1.35, The

> manner in which the transactions are done are that

> passengers are eager and they do not wait for

> instructions as they do on the underground. The

> system asks them to wait and then ask the customer

> to touch the card again. There is a few seconds

> between the request. The customers are impatient

> and touch the pearls pad before the system request

> and hence fails.

>

> In addition to this, It has also been suggested

> that the computer inside the ticket machine is not

> able to handle the power and this new oyster

> programme. In view of this I am now on the case to

> get this resolved as quickly as possible. I am

> have sent emails to parties asking them to meet

> with me at Peckham to resolve this once and for

> all

>

> I can only apologise for the inconvenience this

> has caused, however you have my word that this

> issue is now a priority to ensure we can deliver

> good customer service

>

> Barry

>

>

>

>

>

>

> catma Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hi - this was raised a little while ago but I

> > would just like some clarification as it's been

> > causing me a problem - the oyster readers at

> > Peckham rye never work for my card.On them is a

> > sign telling us to hover the card rather than

> lay

> > it on the machine, which was the advice from

> the

> > previous related query - so the question is why

> do

> > we have to use these readers differently and is

> > this why i can never get out of Peckham Rye

> > without causing a mass pileup but can get

> through

> > every other barrier in London!

Hi, really sorry I missed you this morning. I was at the session for about an hour and half and then had to attend an important meeting

Barry

Weegee Wrote:

> Hey Barry

>

> I missed meeting you at the 'Meet The Managers'

> event at London Bridge station this morning.

>

> Not to worry

hi

i am beginning to think that the 8:59 does not actually exist. it was late again today only at ED by 9:06.

please can you reassure me that there are other problems causing this as the 8:56 was usually on time if not slightly early. i, like many rely on this service and when running late it means that at a peak time when paying extra to travel there is a 20 minute gap.

thanks.

Hi

I have an engineer on the way to look at this now, in addition to this, the Ticket Machine which was vandalised and broken into will be replaced on the 21st June. I apprecaite that this is a few weeks away however these machines are not cheap and we have have had a spate of attacks across our network which has delayed the order

Apologies to all for the inconvenience

Barry

bookhopper Wrote:

> Hi,

>

> Sorry, New ticket machine at East Dulwich.

>

> My bad.

Hi

I have had the opportunity this morning to look at some of the playbacks regarding this service. All train services and their runnings are all recorded. In layman terms, its like looking at an Air Tarffic Controllers screen and we can see the exact departure times, or if services are held at signals etc across the entire network.

Looking at the last few mornings including today I can see that the service is losing time between Tulse Hill and Peckham, on average its losing about 2 minutes. For what reason at this stage I still need to determine. I will now be asking my managers to record all data at stations between Tulse Hill and Peckham, for example, loadings, passenger issues. This way can can start to look at the issue in more depth. It may also be the case that we need the new time table to settle down and passengers get used to new timings.

In relation to the service which was considerably late (27th), I can see that the signal man held your train in order for another service to pass, why I am unsure but this is unusual for the amount of time it was held at the red signal.

Hope this helps

Barry

plimsoul Wrote:

> hi

>

> i am beginning to think that the 8:59 does not

> actually exist. it was late again today only at ED

> by 9:06.

>

> please can you reassure me that there are other

> problems causing this as the 8:56 was usually on

> time if not slightly early. i, like many rely on

> this service and when running late it means that

> at a peak time when paying extra to travel there

> is a 20 minute gap.

>

> thanks.

Good afternoon... As you are aware from previous postings your stations will very shortly get some makeovers/deep clean, grafitti removals/repaints etc these have already started!

So my questions is this..... and I would respectfully ask for sensible answers please.

What provisions/enhancements would you like to additionally see at your stations?? Please bare in mind that I can not guarantee that all suggestions will be implemented, however it is something I can take to Southern Railway on you behalf. This is an opportunity for you to have a voice in regards to the enhancements relating to your station. I feel that this is a new way forward and hope this would bring about a more strategic way of working together to improve a vital part of our community

I look forward to your responses/suggestions

Regards

Barry Jones

Area Station Manager

Metro East

My request (which may be already on the list as I think it's been mentioned before) is more LCD screens at ED station. If the build centre (i think that's their name, but I could be wrong) opposite is moving something around their yard it's impossible (for me at least) to hear the announcements so being able to see a screen easily would help. Also with pay as you go you tap in before knowing if their are big delays so sometimes end up waiting on the platform when a bus might have worked out better. I know there is a monitor by the ticket office but it's not easy to see when rushing past so a monitor or LCD before you go through the barriers for the LB bound platform would be brilliant or additional oyster readers at the top of the ramp? Thanks very much.

I think more bins and more announcements/posters asking passengers to use them would be very welcome. Also, a commitment to clean up the grassy areas behind the wire fences at least once a month would be great.

I agree about needing more screens for the London Bridge platform - ideally one at the bottom of the ramp or by the ticket machines, and at least one extra display on the platform itself. The one at the top of the ramp can't be seen from the front of the platform because the shelter is in the way and can't be seen from the other end because it's too far away. As far as the grassy areas are concerned, the difference since Barry took over is remarkable and they're kpet pretty clear already in my opinion (try comparing them to the scrubby area between the road and the station at Denmark Hill).

One other thought that occurs to me is whether the steps to the southbound platform could be removed (and replaced with a ramp!) to make it easier for buggies and wheelchairs?

Hi Barry

Thanks for asking for people's input. It's a bit general but it would be great for the station to look like a nice place to get off, currently the fences (including Domino's razor wire) make it look like you're getting off at some rough-neck inner-city neighbourhood. Could the steel/galvanised wire fencing be changed to the green wire fencing, or preferably removed totally, to take away the 'being herded' feeling when you get off the train?

The fencing at the back of the platform is steel (as seen on the ED postcards) and the lamp-posts are grey, all very 'Slough in the rain'. I'm not saying they should be pink, flamboyant and Lawrence Lewellyn Bowen, just a bit more welcoming.

I don't know if you can help with this, but a number of times when I have checked TfL for train times they have been wrong. This happens so often that I leave an extra half an hour earlier just in case. Also train time tables seem to be like gold dust.

Thanks for going out of your way to hear our comments

It might be helpful to have an Oystercard reader on the platforms...that way people can come up and check the screens before swiping in...and forgetful people like me wouldn't have so far to go back when they forget to swipe in!

Izodia Wrote:

> It might be helpful to have an Oystercard reader

> on the platforms...that way people can come up and

> check the screens before swiping in...and

> forgetful people like me wouldn't have so far to

> go back when they forget to swipe in!

Agreed. I often nip up the path to check trains then have to nip back to swipe in. That in turn causes a few people to break into a sprint as they think I have just got off a train when they see me coming down the path...!

Also, Barry, more shelter would be nice. On rainy days it gets pretty crowded under there.

Ok?? Here we go with round one! well.... I thought I would make a start

LCD screens at ED station.

I have spoken to a senior project manager and she has kindly sent a request through, hopefully this can be brought forward. There are plans to look at Customer Information Screens and deliver the enhancements by May 2011. This earlier implementation can take a few weeks for a decision. I have stressed the importance of this.

Additional oyster readers

I have located 2 spares and I am now awaiting some dates so a survey can be carried out for the cabling etc.

I think more bins and more announcements/posters.

4 more bins will be placed at ED tomorrow, I have already compiled a poster and this has now gone to the relevant department for completing the text etc. These will take a few days to get printed and placed at ALL stations in my area

A commitment to clean up the grassy areas behind the wire fences at least once a month would be great

I will commit to a weekly clear of the grassy areas, this is now in place with the area supervisors and their cleaning logs

Southbound platform step could be removed (and replaced with a ramp!) to make it easier for buggies and wheelchairs?

I have a company attending next week to look at the possibility of a ramp of some kind for the steps to the platforms. I will post accordingly

The fencing at the back of the platform is steel currently the fences (including Domino's razor wire)the lamp-posts are grey

Same company looking at ramps will also be looking at all the barbed wire, both domino?s and the garden centre. They will be taking the old away and replacing with new, ensuring this looks presentable to you the passengers.

The entire station including lampposts, fencing will be completely repainted in Southern?s corporate colours. The works start on 20th June and are expected to finish on 29th July. Trust me?? not pink and flamboyant

Train time tables seem to be like gold dust. TfL for train times they have been wrong.

There are enough timetables in stock at all of the stations, I have checked this today. I would suggest using the National Rail website for trains.

More shelter would be nice. On rainy days it gets pretty crowded under there.

This is work in progress and will be completed by Autumn 2010.

I have also been visiting ED today as well as a few other stations. ED poster frames and removal of paint from readers etc will be done tomorrow by my maintenance team and some fresh posters. Apologies for this!

Lastly I would like to see more suggestions for my other stations in the area, Peckham Rye, Queens Road for example

Kind regards

Barry Jones

Area Station Manager

Metro East

Keep up the great work Barry, and congrats on the promotion.

Peckham Rye comments: drastic but significant action still needed on the booking/ticket gate hall. More ticket machines, and surely something could be done with all the empty space over to the left as you face the stairs? Are lifts a possibility? Will the arrival of the Overground in 2012 help there at all?

On a lower level, the repainting made a big difference but some bits already look scruffy - and some bits seem never to have been done? Either way, keeping the place looking half-way smart seems to me a big part of the battle - especially when such a fine station is still approached through those grim alleys (about which I'm sure Southern can't do much). The graffiti on the outside rear of the building, visible from the platforms, is particularly depressing.

Barry,

I always find it very difficult at Peckham Rye when getting a train to Victoria.(and the other way round) I am always running late and swipe in my pre pay oyster only to find I've just missed the train. The timings of the trains with 5 mins between the fast and stopper service and then none for another 25mins means its not worth waiting for the next one. Any chance that the trains could be more evenly spaced ?

Mark