The Plough Pub

JADED

Tom,

I'm not defending crappy old pubs!

What I suppose I meant was: there are still lots of pubs in London in which you get all the good stuff of the current crop of ED pubs (good food, no fighting, friendly atmosphere, full of punters) but which have managed to avoid the toll of gruesome refurbs over the decades. So you've got places with lots of original charm remaining, and I suppose, a wider mix of people inside (the older clientele still come, the younger clientele appreciate the character too).

But once you've had a bad refurb somewhere down the line, you can't put the character back (unless you like drinking in places with a dodgy mock-tudor makeover)

The people who took-over the pubs and bars in ED did exactly the right thing. I'm just saying it's a shame there aren't a couple of older pubs which made it through without being mucked about with over the years - I think lots of people here (old and new to the area) would appreciate them now.

The Dog is still quite pub like, and (although I'm not a big fan), The Palmerston has kept a lot of it's original look.... The Plough, the Bishop, and The Magdalla are unrecognisable from the pubs they used to be.

BarryRoad is right, the CPT "Lounge Bar" side is nice... They reupholstered the seats a few months back, so it's comfortable, and there is a nice fire.

Tom, believe me, there are local tw@ts doing coke in the toilets of even the most trendy of bars, not just The Plough!

I think there's probably a distinction between a pub with someone doing drugs in the toilet, and a pub with someone dealing drugs in the toilet.

NB - I say 'a' pub - mentioning none in particular. Although lets face it, it basically all of them these days.

Did anyone see the BBC London News EXPOSE! (snigger) where the reporter went into 3 or 4 bars in Soho and DISCOVERED that there were traces of cocaine in the toilets of all of them?

Nice one, Einstein!

That's great news Tillie. I've been a regular in the Dog for over 30 years and I can honestly say that the present management team of Duncan and Nikki are the best they've ever had in my experience. So, if the same company is taking over the Plough and they can get the management and the refurb right then it's good news all round for everybody.(tu)

Lets hope it doesn't end up like the Pheonix!!!!

On the coke in the loo thing.... The manager of the CPT was telling me that they'd sprayed all the surfaces to stop this happening, so some w@nker smashed a tile off the wall for his line!!!!!!! They now spray the walls too ;-)

NOTE: The CPT isn't a druggy pub, as as *bob* says, it happens all over.

Furry-muff (fair enuff)

I look forward seeing what it turns out like. As I think we all agree, anything is better than it was.

Maybe we can ask them for a pram park outside as it will almost certainly be over run with mclaren off road xp things.

The only drugs needed then will be chocolate and the little ones will be bouncing off the walls!

The Plough has been owned by the same chain for at last the last 30 years - it was a Charringtons pub in 1979 when I first moved to Dulwich (this was part of the Bass group back then , they have subsequently become part of Mitchell and Butlers current empire.) The "Goose" and later "JustSo" brands are (were)part of the same chain.

• 3 weeks later...