The Plough Pub

JADED

Agreed with Mockney RE the Vale. When it first opened, we had some classic nights down there, and for a while would stumble down there almost weekly, and between us we must have put literally thousands in to the owner's pocket (that is not an exaggeration).

Yet, they were rude to us, they threw a couple of people out for doing things that they actually weren't doing (not when they were accused of it anyway). They're horrible little men who think they are something special! (td)

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agreed with Mockney RE the Vale. When it first

> opened, we had some classic nights down there, and

> for a while would stumble down there almost

> weekly, and between us we must have put literally

> thousands in to the owner's pocket (that is not an

> exaggeration).

>

> Yet, they were rude to us, they threw a couple of

> people out for doing things that they actually

> weren't doing (not when they were accused of it

> anyway). They're horrible little men who think

> they are something special! (td)

It wasn't too bad when it first re-opened but over the last two years it been going downhill. Its now basically the old pub with a new interior and its impossible to get a decent drink in there these days. The turnover of staff is mind-boggling.

The Crown and Greyhound offer a wide range of bitters and ales, and they also have a reasonable selection of bottled continental lagers. Not so sure about the Harvester, they have little of anything behind the bar there.

Oh! come on Ant the food in the Dog's not that bad. It's certainly improved from a few years back when Barney and his Mrs were running the place but then again I only go to the pub to drink because that's what they are primarily there for, if I want to eat out I'll go to a restaurant. Still, I may well pop in and try out the "new" Plough soon enough and will report back.

I keep intending to try the dog on a non-sunday, but it's sunday lunches have long been the victim of their own popularity, particularly the watery gravy; bleagh enough places to go without having to suffer those again (dark horse anyone?). The BBQ was ok, but I guess it's not been fired up much this summer.

I'm looking forward to checking the plough. Went occasionally up there to catch footie when everywhere else too packed, but it was, frankly, s**t.

You've made a good point there Mockney about the Dog's popularity on a Sunday lunchtime. It's probably the one day that I tend to avoid it, or I'll pop in later on when all the families with kids who have gone there to eat have buggered off back home and I can get some elbow room at the bar and get the drinks in.

Went from about 5 - 545. Sat in the garden before it peeed it down. It's ok. Nice, airy, and I *like* Angela Lansbury so I am quite fond of the high-backed chair area. ?2.65 for a pint of Greene King. Not sure whether I would make a beeline for it again, but might just pop in occasionally. Nero

Its going to be very interesting how things work out there and I shall be going once a week purely out of a morbid curiosity. What was evident yesterday is that the old crowd do not seem to recognise that the refurb wasn't intended for their benefit despite the amount of notices outside which clearly emphasised what kind of behaviour is expected in there now. I can't imagine the manager was thrilled by the four-man punch up in the car park taking place during the school run , or by the fact that the beer garden already has a "lord of the flies" feel to it.

The inside is quite good, well half of it is, the patio side is basically still full of the boorish, foul-mouthed losers who drank there previously.

Beers good though!

I was highly disappointed with the place. I love the interior decoration, and I love the food menu. However, I dont think this makeover will get rid of the yobs, and I cant see the place being restored to what it once was. Such a missed oppurtunity. :(