The Plough Pub

JADED

What a missed opportunity. If they'd been bolder with the refit and had a proper relaunch they probably could have got rid of the chavs like the Palmerston did. As long as they're still there I (and I'm sure, many others) won't be venturing in.

Lets get this right, the people who go into pubs and start fights and cause problems are not working class drinkers... They are trouble makers... I remember drinking in many traditional working class pubs around London and the majority of people had a laugh, joke and didnt cause problems for others. I think the death of the traditional pub is what has caused this break down in society! The culture of Wetherspoons and clubs like Oceana and other pub chain clones up and down the country offering alchi pops 2 for the price of 1 and all this sort of rubbish, its just not good for anyone.

Louisa

I think you may be absolutely correct. Not sure about there being no fights "in the olden days" but the idiots we see out of their skulls on Smirnoff Ice et al are indeed "trouble makers" of all classes. Or no class as the case may be

The Plough in it's new guise doesn't have anything in the way of these promotions so we'll see how the situation develops. I did notice the lairy element in there last night but thought the surroundings helped nullify the atmosphere.

> Lets get this right, the people who go into pubs and start fights and cause problems are not working class drinkers

Noone said anything else. Noone mentioned class.

I said people who enjoy fighting, James said chavs.

Despite CWALD's protestations, chav isn't synonymous with working class. A chav is someone who will tick a number of the following boxes

Young

Wears burberry and/or big hooped earrings/and or white trainers/and or a tracksuit

Terrible taste in cars and automobile accouterments

Hangs around street corners in a menacing fashion.

It was just a short lived national joke, it doesn't and has never meant working class, but some working class kids were more likely to go for the look, however I've seen plenty of middle class kids who seemed to think it was a good look.

No doubt all of them from every background in twenty years time will look at old photos of themselves and wince.

Now please please leave your class ridden chip off your shoulder.

Sheesh!!!

Bleep Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No, but I'd pay good money to.

>

> I watched a DVD last night of a Gypsy Bareknuckle

> fight a friend bought at a Gypsy Fair. It was

> excellent!

Err.. that sounds like a real treat, Bleep.

That's slightly unfair of me. I do enjoy watching boxing when I occasionally catch it.

But I do think the 'no-rules'-style stuff (such as 'Ultimate Fighting' or whatever you call it) tends to attract a certain type of person (who I'd prefer to avoid)

So the old Plough would have been right up your street then Bleep. I think to be fair it's still early days yet for the "new" Plough. You can't expect things to change overnight just because a pub has had a refit but time will tell and good luck to the people running it.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone seen any four-way punch-ups in the

> Palmerston?

Ever, or since the refit? ;-)

Palmerston is one I've never liked... Used to just be a total sh!t hole with awful beer. Now it's basically the same sh!t hole with a lick of paint, slightly better beer, and expensive roasts.

Went to have a look last night and agree with everything Dulwich Park Fairy said really. They are obviously trying hard to change the image of the place and it's nice inside and out (and they've made an effort for the smokers which I'msure will be appreciated!) But it looks like the old clientele haven't got the message and are still hanging around being lairy. We saw one guy being kicked out after he came in from the garden fag in hand and made a fuss when they told him it was non-smoking (as if he didn't know!)

I think they need a couple of big burly bouncers to hang around for a few weeks and hopefully they would see these unsavour types off once and for all.

Not sure about the staff. They seemed a bit rabbit in headlights although that could be first night jitters I suppose. The old man wonders if some staff might have been retained as he heard one of them ask one of the punters 'where are you facking going?! at the top of her voice.

Anyway, I think this could be a good pub IF they manage to get rid of the undesirables. I wish them luck!