The Plough Pub

JADED

Christopher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> When will readers of this forum click that

> "Dulwich" does not start and end on Lordship

> Lane?!

But it certainly ends before you get to Herne Hill. Which is a different town, really, innit?

Herne Hill.. strange area really.

The Half Moon Tavern's freeholder is actually the Dulwich Estate. It is closer to Dulwich Village (arguably the centre of "Dulwich") than say the EDT or the Palmerston...

Herne Hill really isn't a "town" at all. Its a busy junction where Dulwich meets Brixton, Southwark meets Lambeth. The Half Moon side of the railway line is Southwark - and arguably "Dulwich", whereas Brockwells, The Escape etc are on the Lambeth side - and arguably "Brixton". Brockwell Park is really Brixton's Park... Herne Hill (the road that heads up towards Denmark Hill / Camberwell) and the few streets off it are the only bits that escape either of these definitions.

Just because there's a train station called Herne Hill, doesn't mean its a separate town!

HH has it's own postcode, and the area is clearly marked on the map as "Herne Hill". That's enough to convince me that it is distinct from Brixon or Dulwich.

The Half Moon is around a 25 min walk from where I live (halfway along Lordship Lane).

You may wish to consider the Village as the centre of Dulwich, but this forum is specific to East Dulwich.

The heights that is Herne hill does seem to have, and have had an awful lot of names.

The same wider lump of earth seems to encompass denamrk hill, herne hill, champion hill, dog kennel hill, red post hill and have been called fox hill and heron hill.

Any more to add?

Tis true, Christopher.. I suppose people do think in terms of train stations, although they're not always relevant.

If you live on the at the Peckham Rye side of SE22 though, Herne Hill seems separate enough. It would be a brisk half hour walk and just as long if attempting it on the bus. This is of course the (*straightens tie pompously*) "East" Dulwich forum. So technically even the Village is 'out of bounds' as well. I suspect you may be a Village interloper! Light the torches! Gather pitchforks! OUT! OUT!

Busted!

My post code is SE24 (Herne Hill)

I live just by North Dulwich Station.

Lordship Lane is closer to me (the Magdala, William Rose, Moxons, Fredericks end) than Herne Hill Station

The road next to us is SE21

My local is The Dog.

I'm probably closer to that particular section of LL than many of the contributors to this forum who actually live in Nunhead or Peckham but clasp on to LL by their finger nails in the hope that the magic ED effect will visit them soon.

Truth is that I enjoy all of Dulwich.

But you're right, this is the East Dulwich forum.

I guess though that if we're arguing on the "postcode" note that there shouldn't be any discussions on the anything in SE15 either!

Good news!

I thought I'd found some kind of secret coven!

I just found it quite funny that there are several posts at the beginning of this thread be-moaning the lack of a live music venue in the area, when there's one on the doorstep (if you live on the Dulwich side of ED).

rob Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The pain of a SE24 postcode when just over the

> road it's SE21 must be hard to bear...

Not particularly Rob, no.

The gist of my posts on this thread is that I'm open minded about the area and not hung up on post codes.

Christopher,

If you have a cursory scan around the forum you should find several threads that discuss the such issues as the boundaries of East Dulwich, what is considered the heart of East Dulwich etc and your observations are partially true regarding LL being a bit of a preoccupation - But, you will also see that places such as Dulwich Park, the Gowlett and The Rye Hotel which are not in SE22 are much discussed and loved. And, the next Forum drinks happens to be at Hoopers Bar which is SE5.

citizen.

welcome to the forum BTW

I walked past the Plough on my way back from my friend's this morning and was highly impressed by the interior. It has a contemporary edge but is primarily quite traditional. I give it my seal of approval.

Praise where praise is due! It obviously lacks the older entrance at the front which can be seen below, which is such a shame. I would also have liked to see the old style lantern hung from above the main entrance. http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/images/southwark/dulwich/lordship-lane-01620-750.jpg