> go to one of the drinks nights, but not sure if

> I'd have the bottle to turn up to a pub not

> knowing anyone. Also I wouldn't recognise any of

> you so would probably end up approaching a

> different group with them wondering who the nutter

> is. What was it like when you first went? I have

> visions of doing what charliecharlie did - hover

> for a bit and then leave.

First drinks I went to I just asked if someone who was going was willing to let me have their mobile number and then texted on the day to check they were there and how I would recognise them. Having a text description of who I was looking for and them the same of me and knowing when I was going to arrive meant we both recognised each other when I came in, he introduced me to a few folk and that was it, job done. I might have been a bit scared otherwise.

@ Moos ?... at least I talked to your friend, the Man With The Burglar Stories *waves* !...?

++> Why thank you kindly. [Waves back.]

@ citizenEd ?Nice to meet 'O', the interloper from Telegraph Hill Village.?

++> Ah, er, I guess that would make me the Village Idiot. Or if I'd brought any t'hill locals along, we'd be the Village People. Hrmmmmm...

@ citizenEd ?Many a story from a lifetime of London living; though I'm sure he was not even 30!?

++> I'm actually only 6 years old, but half of my life has been spent in New Cross Gate and you have to grow old fast there in order to survive. It's like dog years. (Or is that 'dogged'?) To those who thought the Rye Hotel was not up to snuff, check out my lavvverly (lavvy?) local in New Cross Gate:

++> http://www.stopthestrip.org/4952.html

++> Three of us went on to The Bishop, in order to try to heal the schism between the two Saturday drinking factions. To those who tried to stop us from going, can I just ask you all to stop bashing The Bishop. It's a fine pub, with fine people and it had a solitary hound in attendance. (So there was something for everyone.)

++> However, I did meet two EDForummagers there who claimed to be professional mud-wrestlers and someone who pretended to have lasted three years at Keele University despite having a first name of 'Piers'. (Anyone who has ever visited Stoke - and returned - will know that is surely impossible.) - Think I'm fick or summink?

++> On a less facetious note, it was a pleasure to meet you all and I hope to get the opportunity to do so again in the future. This is just my take, but I only knew one person at the Rye Hotel in advance, yet I found the crowd there immediately welcoming. Moreover, everyone I met was a delight to chat to. Perhaps I am easily pleased?

You aren't easily pleased, alphafrigglefroggle, you are most discerning. We are indeed delightful, especially me. Some people take years to work this out, others (poor things) are still blind to the truth.