July EDF Drinks - Saturday 4th July at The Rye Hotel

georgia

No worries OoF - best of luck with recovery (and curries ;-) )

SeanMac was slightly wobbly having attending the afternoon drinks for a couple of hours, then a regal birthday party for many more hours and then returning for evening drinks - but holding it together better than he has in the past

A good effort I would say

Everyone who did turn up last night (and I didn't know everyone) was in good form and it was a great night. But one thing bothers me... if some people pushed on to the Bishop and bumped into a dozen or so other regulars, what was their excuse for not doing "the drinks"

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But one thing bothers me... if some people

> pushed on to the Bishop and bumped into a dozen or

> so other regulars, what was their excuse for not

> doing "the drinks"

had planned to... but heard there weren't many people there and so went to Lordship Lane instead.

daizie Wrote:

> Maybe a visible notice on the table saying 'EDF

> drinks' would be an idea, or is that a bit

> amature / common ? That way , no one would have a

> wasted journey .

A sign or notice would have been useful last night given the large number of other groups around. I sat alone feeling lost and forlorn for a good ten minutes before spotting a familiar face (SeanMac, as it happens) join the group - all the others were new to me. What was odd - the bar and waiting staff didn't know anything about the EDF group - at one point I thought I was at the wrong venue.

Definitely lessons to be learned

Normally the drinks are reasonably obvious but for sure last night was so busy in the Rye generally we were just one amongst dozens of tables and if you didn't know anyone from previous pics etc you wouldn't stand a chance

Table names have been used in the past daizie, but usually they are flattened within half an hour or buried amongst a mound of glasses. Plus we don't want anyone with a sniper rifle to have TOO easy a shot

To any nervous attendees or first timers in the future I would suggest PM'ing someone who says they are going and you feel comfortable with and swapping mobile numbers - then when you get there it's easy to establish contact. I have done this several times in the past

As for the lizard illuminati in the Bishop last night - cards have been marked

I'm not sure Afternoon and Evening both on the same day quite works. I'd say revert the evening Drinks back to the Friday and keep the Saturday purely for Afternoon drinks.

What is clear is that the closer the Drinks are to Goose Green the more people attend.

annaj Wrote:

> Moos, I have to know, was it the Belle bottom or

> the Carnell bottom you slapped?

That I cannot reveal, but I can tell you that I employed a right-armed roundarm swing to connect with a right cheek.

It was recorded on the Rye's cctv, though, annaj so, if you really want to know...

Was very lovely to meet up with everyone last night for drinks and chat. Fine ambience in that great garden. Only sorry that being so late I wasn't around for long enough to talk to everyone. Nice to meet 'O', the interloper from Telegraph Hill Village. Many a story from a lifetime of London living; though I'm sure he was not even 30! And thanks for the passing shot RosieH; The darling thinks I post like a sixty year old. Damn!Have to youth-up my contributions.

Sad that a few seem to have missed the event due to not knowing which group was the forum. That is almost certainly a first and due to the unique circumstances of the evening.

CitEd

citizenED, as I recall, I told you how very handsome you are. Yes, I may have suggested that I thought you'd be older but that was by way of pointing out how young and dynamic you turned out to be... sheesh!

georgia Wrote:

> Do we go back to Fridays for August

> or stick with Saturdays???

I don't know how much organisational effort is required to arrange a drinks date - only that it all seems to fall upon your kind self. If the burden is not too great, one solution may be to revert to Fridays for the traditional Evening drinks whereupon Afternoon summer drinks would fall on the next day albeit at a different venue.

That would retain the benefits of both occasions without the problems encountered so far.

[quote name=I don't know how much organisational effort is required to arrange a drinks date - only that it all seems to fall upon your kind self. If the burden is not too great' date=' one solution may be to revert to Fridays for the traditional Evening drinks whereupon Afternoon summer drinks would fall on the next day albeit at a different venue.

That would retain the benefits of both occasions without the problems encountered so far.]

very nicely put Hal... or we could do the above but have the daytime drinks on Sundays, I think people are often rushing around doing shopping and and other catch up stuff on Saturdays, and may feel more inclined to relax on Sundays... we could even go somewhere that does Sunday lunch for those who fancied eating as well.

doing it this way would also allow people (who are strong enough for both) time to recover from the friday drinks!!!

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/images/2008-01/reuse-empty-wine-bottles.jpg

I'd be more up for a Friday evening forum drinks followed by a family friendly one on the Saturday afternoon.

RosieH - Did you really! jeez, my misinterpretation can only by accounted for by my squiffy state (though from recollection you may have been even more squiffed than I). In any case, I am charmed by your comment. Thanks.

georgia Wrote:

> I am not convinced that the Saturday drinks are

> working very well. So do we go back to Fridays for

> August or stick with Saturdays???

I like the idea of a spilt drinks - Friday for the general knees up and Sunday PM for those that couldnt make Friday for whatever reason and those that could and just hate their liver.

Which would make the next drinks on Friday 7 August and Sunday 9 August would it not?