The Clock House

Oh lighten up for goodness sake Louisa.

I worked in Bedford for 6 months after university, it's a suburban town without too much to offer in the ways of cuisine, has a prison in the middle, night clubs that spill out resulting in fights at kebab places and cab queues and old fashioned boozers a plenty. Surely your sort of place!!!!

Hmm, well I doubt they any brewer actually uses the water from the local rivers these days! Having seen the rubbish and at least one up turned trolley in the river Wandle right next to the brewery I sincerely hope they didn't use this water, however maybe this is what gives it their beer a strong earthy taste...

I actually looked at the CAMRA site out of sheer curiosity and take back what I said before, the 'Great British Beer Festival' is on in August this year at Earls Court and looks enticing.(tu) GBBF Photos 2006

My mistake I read too quickly and thought we were talking about Bradford... Now that is a dump! Never been to Bedford, so no opinion. Sure you're right though Mockney, you have photos and everything ;-)

But of course Brendan, if only to understand where your beer comes from. Saying that I'm really glad that the river Peck is no more I can't imagine how awful beer would have been if made from this, though it would explain why the locals on the wrong side of Peckham are a bit scary.

In a valiant attempt to avoid lounging, I will return the the theme of the CH.

In the previous incarnation it was tenanted - the Landord ran the pub and paid Young's for the privilege.

It is now managed - ie run by Young's who pay the manager to manage it.

Sadly, have to agree with most points here. Clockhouse used to be a bit of a haven for the odd drink and/or pubby meal. Exchanged few words with original landlords (missus a bit scary!), but service was good, food reasonably priced and very efficiently served. No attempt at having to feign being a "saaf lundun boozer". No stripped surface clatter, no kids in your face if you didn't want. Since they left, I have been disappointed every time I've been. Everybody seems very nice, but the bar staff are not on top of the job sometimes, and I agree about the food.

Location, size, real ale - how can it go so wrong?

Used to love the Clock real beer and no loud drunks food used to be good especially was fond of the bowl of chunky chips they used to do nowdays awful hope they turn it around and get act together, have to say agree also about woodhouse had dreadful meal there few months back.

• 1 month later...

Eat there quite often - mainly because it is so quiet EVEN on a sunny saturday lunchtime and my 5 year old

is a bit naughty. The food IS too expensive and last Saturday the sandwich bread was stale - but replaced without protest.

The old landlord left because Youngs wanted more cash and they felt it wouldnt work as a gastro pub - and is it working ? No !

They need to get seats for normal people rather than giants (I can lend them a saw) and have a few reasonably priced pub grub type meals then they will have really busy sunny lunchtimes again.

• 1 month later...

I love a back-from-the-dead-food-post

To be honest serenity I think most of the criticism came fairly soon after the re-launch (although I did try and let it bed in a bit first)

If you say things are on an even keel I'll have to give it another try

(to think that back in the spring we spoke of wistful afternoons sat outside the Clock, people-watching - how quaint. But then how were we to know that we would have but 3 weekends where it was sunny enough to try that)