LordLane

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> reet - I think the people complaining in the last

> couple of posts are not worried about themselves

> being unable to park - they are worried about the

> increased traffic and people hopping out of cars

> "just for 2 minutes"

This a busy area anyway and I cant see why there should be any increase in traffic ,people stop now for "just 2 minutes" to use the shops already there !

reetpetite Wrote:

> SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > reet - I think the people complaining in the

> last

> > couple of posts are not worried about

> themselves

> > being unable to park - they are worried about

> the

> > increased traffic and people hopping out of

> cars

> > "just for 2 minutes"

>

>

> This a busy area anyway and I cant see why there

> should be any increase in traffic ,people stop

> now for "just 2 minutes" to use the shops already

> there !

If there's no increase in traffic I'd think Sainsbury's would be calling it a bit of a failure...

SimonM Wrote:

> If they somehow provided parking even for only a

> few cars then the traffic would just increase

> exponentially! I'm guessing this branch will

> thrive the way Herne Hill one does; it's not aimed

> at cusotmers arriving by car.

Thats exactly what I've been saying !

Reet Petite I'm not at all implying that I would need to drive and park at the store given that I live 70m down the road, and Simon it may not be aimed at the car driving shopper, but it's quite obvious that it is going to impact on parking in the area.

I won't moan too much as I'm sure I'm going to use the shop and I'm sure that I've parked in residential streets when shopping elsewhere but it's a bit naive and idealistic to pretend that a leading supermarket chain isn't going to attract more passing than val's store, costcutter or the post office

HB worth a trip next door to the very nice east european shop if you are looking for interesting beer. This is exactly the sort of shop that should benefit from the footfall a sainsburys will generate. But is the old butcher going to be a butcher again?? (other side of the road)

EDOldie Wrote:

> HB worth a trip next door to the very nice east

> european shop if you are looking for interesting

> beer. This is exactly the sort of shop that should

> benefit from the footfall a sainsburys will

> generate. But is the old butcher going to be a

> butcher again?? (other side of the road)

The butcher opened on Thursday !

I don't think Sainsbury's local will be selling bonnet peppers, yams etc so Nisha should be fine plus people waiting for the bus can easily nip in Val's and Costcutter's whilst at the bus stop. I won't always be walking that few minutes more to sainsbury's for a loaf of bread when I can get it at Val's/Costcutters, but if I want something a bit more then Sainsbury's local will warrant a visit.

I really don't agree with those who think the new Sainsbury?s Local will harm good independent shops in East Dulwich.

Let's face it - although The Plough area has got better in some respects, it's still pretty run down, certainly compared to the heart of Lordship Lane. The vacant site has been very bad for the area, and a new shop will really make a difference to the whole feel of the place. Although I also feel somewhat sorry for Val's and the Post Office (the guys who run it are great), I can't say I feel very protective of Costcutter!

It's far enough up Lordship Lane not to hurt the good ?indys? and those of us above Heber Road could really do with somewhere decent to shop without having to drop down into East Dulwich proper. I remember people saying similar things when the Sainsbury?s Local opened in Herne Hill, but it really helped the place along.

Bring it on!